• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nach.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend me some black nitrile gloves for working on the bike
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Any recommendations for black nitrile gloves for working on the bike/car? Used the last pair in the box changing a tyre last night, The ones I had were okay but they weren’t very robust and the fingers ripped quite easily.

This is the ones I had and it doesn’t say how thick they are, I’m guessing not very.

andyl
    Free Member

get some black marigolds and re-use them or some of the builders PU coated mesh ones?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Nah I much prefer disposable gloves, plus I always keep a pair in my seat pack of my commuter.

smashit
    Free Member

Black Mamba gloves are the best I’ve used of that style. Not indestructible but last longer than most others.

I’ve used these a bit recently, way more robust and better for repeated small on/off jobs.
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p51069

bruneep
    ocrider

Why black ones? Are blue nitrile gloves not metal enough for your requirements? 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

what ever i pick up when in screwfix/toolstation/ECPs for about 6 quid a box.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why black ones? Are blue nitrile gloves not metal enough for your requirements?

Blue wouldn’t match my garage 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

the ones in your link are the ones i have at the moment – so much so i bought two boxes of them last time i saw them.

They aint thick but they seem to be robust as some of the thicker pairs ive had.

I had some really quite thick green ones that felt really good but using them they were really poor and kept tearing.

ocrider

Blue wouldn’t match my garage s&m torture chamber

FTFY 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

They aint thick but they seem to be robust as some of the thicker pairs ive had.

I usually lose a finger mid tube change 🙂

I’ll give the black mamba ones a go.

fasthaggis

Staying very STW, I suggest…

Arco orange grip clicktastic

😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm orange would work 🙂

This is an odd selling point on the colour though

Hi Viz orange colour to allow dirt to be easily identified.

fasthaggis

Hi Viz orange colour to allow dirt to be easily identified.

Ha ha yeah ,for that full on enduro pit crew look

bails

I use Bodyguard ones from Eurocarparts. Cheap, tough enough.

maccruiskeen

Blue wouldn’t match my garage

Should make them easier to find then 🙂

Sandwich

Arco orange grip

Steady, aren’t they reserved for Ed China?

globalti
    Free Member

Why do bicycle mechanics need gloves? There aren’t any nasty combustion by-products and it’s perfectly safe to get mineral oil on your skin. I’ve been fettling bikes bare-handed for about 54 years and I haven’t got skin cancer. Latex gloves are also horribly sweaty and not eco-friendly as they are not reusable and will probably never decompose.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t need them but if for example I have a puncture on the way to work I wear gloves to change a tube as otherwise I would get filthy hands.

It’s nothing to do with getting skin cancer it’s more about keeping my hands clean when I’m working on the bike or car.

I’ve not really noticed a sweat issue.

benp1

I used to have some in the garage, but they got so old that they started to just fall apart as I wasn’t using them. Had to bin the whole lot of them

Have been going bareback ever since

I whack a pair of cheap gloves that you get for doing work in warehouses/industrial places. Really thin with a few sticky dots on. Handy for when I need to do something grubby and quick, where I can’t be bothered to have a scrub afterwards. Also good as my garage is unheated and so my hands can get quite cold!

xico
    Free Member

Gloves? Are you worried about your nail varnish? 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, my nail varnish is black anyway.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wish nitrile gloves had been invented when I was a council mechanic. It would have saved me washing my hands with sand & red diesel when out on site work.

dmck16
    Free Member

benp1 – Member
    Have been going bareback ever since

😯

Wrap it up before you slap it up…

vongassit
    Free Member

Microflex™ MidKnight™ Black Powder-Free Nitrile , I have been on the tools for the last 10+ years & have tried all sorts (not Berties). These are by for the best I have found.

I once had a dog sink it’s teeth into the squidgy bit between my thumb & forefinger, almost right through & without piercing the glove. Left a big hole & a scar though.

They aint the cheapest but are well worth it IMO.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Guess globalti hasn’t got contact dermatitis either.

Enough exposure to these “safe” as you put it products and you can develop it

I’ve got it on my knuckles from years of a similar attitude which means I have to use barrier cream for seemingly menial tasks now.

oh and mineral fluid isn’t as safe as you think.

nach
    Free Member

Milkers, recommended to me by a gardener as much more durable than most nitrile gloves.

With the added bonus that you’ll easily be able to test yourself for mastitis.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some black nitrile gloves for working on the bike’ is closed to new replies.