Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • recommend me some audiobooks to drowse and listen through!
  • cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Currently stuck in hospital whilst having chemo, it can be pretty disruptive trying to sleep in a room of four beds and last night found listening to “the girl with the lower back tattoo” by Amy Schumer good to listen to as i drifted in and out sleep, as it didn’t really disrupt a narrative (i started listening to the girl on a train but realised i was losing the story).

I’m going to try bill bryson, brief history tonight but just wondered what the stw hive mind could throw out! I find spoken word easier to fall asleep to than music for some reason?

Cougar

I can’t comment on audiobooks, the only ones I’ve been listening to lately have been the Big Finish Doctor Who stories but you kinda need to pay a little attention to them.

However, I can recommend Brief History, I’ve just finished the paperback version and it’s very interesting.

Also, get well soon.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

thank you

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    makkag
    Free Member

Brysons a great shout,

I spend a lot of time in a car so audiobooks are my friend.

Do you like Scifi ? if so the expanse set of audiobooks are pretty good and you dont have to have 100% concentration

Ready Player one i found a good audiobook (Its quite a youthfull book with loads of 80’s references however)

Bernard Corwells saxon stories also translate well if you like vikings/ that period

The Irvine welsh books narrated by Tam dean Burn are great and if you want to avoid the filth/trainspotting type – try A decent Ride .. I was laughing my tits off (Which may be what you need)

should be of some assistance , stay strong and remember

H.O.P.E

Hold
    On
    Pain
    Ends

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Thanks makkag, ready player one looks good, currently reading the saxon books! had a look at the expanse ones, not sure about those but may give them a try. will give a decent ride a listen.

one of my fave audiobooks was anansi boy read by lenny henry, brilliant voice, if you haven’t tried it.

headfirst
    Free Member

If it doesn’t hurt to laugh, Alan Partridge’s first book “I Partridge…” is a great audiobook.

If you’re a dog lover, Monty Don reading his book ‘Nigel’ is lovely, and you can pop in and out of it.

IHN

Stephen Fry’s memoirs are a nice listen.

And good luck.

Stoner
    Free Member

Subscribe to https://www.mythpodcast.com/ on your podcast app of choice and doze off to his dulcet american baritone.

IHN

There’s also the BBC iPlayer radio app, which is a thing of awesomeness.

bentandbroken

BBC R4 extra ran Day of the Tryfids recently. I though it was a good listen even though I only caught every third or fourth one after listening to the first three

I have just had a quick look and sadly it’s not on iPlayer any more, but I guess it will be available somewhere. Lots of episodes as well in case you are in for a while

Any obviously – Good Luck!

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Thanks all some cracking suggestions, but can’t stand alan partridge! Quite like monty don’s voice though so will give that a crack. laughing would be good, i remember playing tennis with the moldovans s being a funny read, might see if any of his are audiobooks too. myths and legends playlist created. Fry’s voice is good too.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

thamks bentandbroken, going to be in more than out for the next four to six months – but then I’ll be cured – watch out for “what e-bike for unfit but skinny guy”!

jekkyl

me and the wife fall asleep to audiobooks every night, have done for years.
    All the of the discworld novels are available as audio books, the ones narrated by Stephen Briggs are espcially good for getting off to sleep.
    I also listen to LBC, I find phone ins also send me straight off to sleep.

makkag
    Free Member

I tried the expanse a while back and didn’t get into it. However the Recent TV adaptation got me wanting to know more and i have zipped through them all – Standard of writing isnt particularly great but its a good story . 1st Series of TV Show a good place to start . Happily send any media you need up on a USB if you’d like , just PM Me

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Thank you Makkag but thanks to some information in a thread Cougar started today and a healthy wifi connection I’m sorted now thanks 🙂 got leviathin, short history, myths and legends, and Ready player one to give a listen shortly, two new admissions tonight so it’s going to be busy. Discworld’s a good suggestion but i find nigel planer’s voice quite irritating – are there others?

jekkyl

yes Stephen Briggs reads them too. Prachett’s assistant, he’s brill.
    these are all the ones read by him:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_binding_browse-b_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3AStephen+Briggs%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A308724031&keywords=Stephen+Briggs&ie=UTF8&qid=1487359281&rnid=492562011

search terry prachett on pirate proxy 😉

eskay

There are a few on spotify, mainly classic novels that are probably available elsewhere but if you have an account it maybe worth checking out.

Good luck with the treatment.

gooner69

Hiya, good luck with the treatment.

Recently listened to:
    Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself trilogy, utterly compelling come the finish.

World War Z, best audio book out there, miles better than the limp film.

The Charlie Parker series by John Connolly, great narrator and really deep characters very enjoyable.

Anything by Brandon Sanderson is also worth a listen.

That list has used up around 150hours of my life and its time well spent.

Also listened to some sci-fi recently, Rage war by Tim Lebbon, American narrator but good fleshy story.

Hope I have helped in some way.

user-removed
    Free Member

Robert Macfarlane’s Landscapes is about as relaxing and therapeutic as it gets. A stream of consciousness voiced by a mellow-toned gent describing various colloquial terms for things like, “…the tunnels running under hedges made by badgers”. Every dialect from The Outer Hebrides to Cornwall. He’s fairly done his research and is unstinting in his verbal generosity.

A magical and beautiful book. Get well soon 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

I am legend. The audio book is amazing, one of my all-time favourites. The film is shite in comparison.

Enders game. Brilliant Sci-fi book.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Thank you for all the suggestions, enjoyed the first Charlie Parker book, will try the audio, love Sanderson but never listened to any, landscapes sounds perfect thank you, and again love enders game.

Enjoyed listening to player one last night, thanks making.

zer0cool
    Free Member

I have heard quite a few, my mother delevoped sight problems, so there are alway a few floating around her place.
    The best is the James Bond series, true to the books, not the films, brilliant. This seriers in the tin- https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=94744&catalogId=10051
    Hitch Hikers guide is great, read by Douglas Adams himself.
    Agent ZigZag, its true story about a criminal recruited as a spy/double agent during the war. Thrilling stuff.
    Good luck with the treatment!

Wookster

Hi mate,

Try Hardcore History by Dan Carlin it’s a series of Podcasts they are amazing Blueprint for Armageddon is a good start it’s about WW1 and is fascinating I think there is five parts each about three hours long! But it’s just great. I’ll echo the iplayer comments Radio four comedy is great.

Fiction wise I’m addicted to Audible 😉 the app is really good as it allows you to book mark your position so when you fall asleep it’s easy to find your spot in the book. It’s also got a sleep timer to it will switch off if you want. So thats maybe worth a look.

Huge range of books too, good series to try are Arisen ( Zombie apocalypse job not too much thinking required!) Victor the assassin series by Tom wood is again worth a listen. There’s some great bio’s etc on there too The Nazi hunters is facinating all about SAS action in WW2 France and the hunt for the SS after the war.

Either way rest up, I look forward to hearing you’re back on the bike!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Enders game +1

I really enjoyed Ender’s Shadow too.

Cougar

Hitch Hikers guide is great, read by Douglas Adams himself.

There’s the radio play too of course, that’ll keep you going for a few hours. And Dirk Gently.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some audiobooks to drowse and listen through!’ is closed to new replies.