Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me: rack, panniers, mudguards, tyres, bars – for Kaffenback :P
  • grumm
    Free Member

Hopefully getting a Kaffenback frame this week – gonna mostly be using it for commuting but also quite fancy a bit of touring too. Not too familiar with racks – will any rack work ok? Any recommendations?

Thinking of getting the cheapo dhb panniers.

I am planning on swapping over most of the kit from my Planet X Superlight Alu – but I’m not sure if the wheels will take a wider touring tyre, or handle any ‘light off-road’ that the Kaffenback can apparently take (just thinking of canal towpaths anc cobbles etc really). Can’t get the specs for the Superlight off the Planet X website any more for some reason. Any tyre recommendations? Something fairly fast for commuting but able to handle very light off road would be good.

Been looking at these mudguards – any good, owt better? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/SKS_Chromoplastic_Mudguard_Set/5360010679/

Also been thinking about getting flat bars for it – seems like the only flat bars from wiggle etc are mtb ones, but I spose it doesn’t matter. Bar ends?

Anyway, enough of my waffling – if anyone had any advice to offer it would be much appreciated.

grumm
    Free Member

tldr eh? 😥

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Racks – tubus are amazing quality at an amazing price. Haven broken just about every other rack on the market over the years I got one and its great – very rigid mountings and very well made.

grumm
    Free Member
    CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, I’ll second the recommendation for a Tubus rack. I’ve got the Tubus Logo, which is good because the panniers sit a bit lower down so lower centre of gravity, and it makes it easier to attach things to the top of the rack as well. And as its made of steel it should last a bit longer than most other cheap alu racks.
    I’ve also got those SKS mudguards, they are fine. I don’t thinks there’s anything much better than them.

For panniers, Ortlieb are great – very strong and completely waterproof, but not cheap.

snakebite
    Free Member

Got some virtually new Altura Dryline panniers gonna be surplus to requirements shortly, 70 odd quid, can do em for 40 quid posted?

grumm
    Free Member

Could well be interested snakebite – what size are they? email is grum at sourpuss dot info btw. Cheers.

Ed2001
    Free Member

ortlieb panniers are very very good , Ive also heard that dhb at wiggle are not bad as a cheaper alternative. I got my ortliebs on e bay and imo they make a good s/h buy as they are so well made.

snakebite
    Free Member

Like these, but all black. null

http://www.bikedock.com/posit/shop/productinfo.php?partno=99314989&srcwind=%2Fposit%2Fshop%2Findex.php%3Fcategory%3D33%26group%3D8

They also have the side bits too attach rear lights too if you so wish. come with shoulder straps etc, as new and probably only used maybe a dozen short commutes to work.

snakebite
    Free Member

I’ll do some pics this evening if you want, can bung the Tortec rack in for another tenner? http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=13885&

grumm
    Free Member

OK thanks – was kind of thinking of the bigger ones but pics would be good, cheers.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

tortec velocity rear rack like this

and tortec mud guards like this

looks like this:

flivkr

the rack is very stable, i’ve done about 300 miles on it so far, some off road, some on road, both with one pannier and 100 miles with 2 panniers on a tour

i have altura dryline panniers, they seem to be good but are heavy as they are waterproof. my wife did LEJOG with her drylines last year and it rained nearly all the way but they kept it all out

only minor niggle is the mini v brakes catch the mudguards but a hacksaw is going to sort that out shortly

andym
    Free Member

I really like my Tubus Vega nice an stylish in a minimal sort of way.

Tyres – 25mm Conti Gatorskins?

snakebite
    Free Member

pics sent

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

ourmaninthenorth

How tall are you? I only ask, as it is an issue on my bike – albeit a small (cos I’m short) compact frame. the result is that the foward mounting points of the rack cannot be attached to the frame as they completely foul the brake. As a result, I’hve had to lash it up slightly using the seatpost. It’s OK with lught stuff, but two full Ortlieb back rollers result in quite a waggle at the back end.

grumm
    Free Member

Just a smidgen under 5’8 – the bike is a medium kaffenback so on the verge of being too big for me.

What rack/frame is that with?

ourmaninthenorth

Delayed response:

Rack, er, a cheap Blackburn, I think (c.£20-25). Pretty flimsy compared with a Tubus.

Frame: Giant SCR, small size (I’m 5’7″). Giant frames are all very compact, and mine only measures 46.5cm c2c. the result is that there is no sensible way of attaching a rack to the frame eyelets at the top on the seat stays.

I reckon you’ll be fine with a Kaff in medium – they’re only semi-compact anyway. When buying a rack, it might be worth visiting your LBS, so you don’t have to get stressed the night before you’re going to Belgium for a week….

zaskar
    Free Member

Did the same to my Trek 1200, Tortec rack and sks mudgaurds did the job.

25mm slicks. Great for commutes and shopping in rain.

Unlike this guy-level your pannier-by getting one that clears your ankles!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me: rack, panniers, mudguards, tyres, bars – for Kaffenback :P’ is closed to new replies.