Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Recommend me pedals…
  • jackf

First post, be kind.

I’ve recently purchased a Norco Fluid 7.1. My riding consists of all sorts. I’m after a decent, functional flat pedal that won’t break the bank. Ideally replaceable pins. What should I be looking at?

Thanks

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

In the eternal spirit of recommending what you have…Raceface Chesters. Very grippy, good size and decent price

mcnultycop

Also in the above eternal spirit stated above, I have plastic Nukeproof Electrons on my recent MTB that are great and I’d buy again. I also have Superstar Nano’s and the Exotic/Carbon Cycles equivalent and they are also great.

legend
    Free Member

Ashy – Member
    In the eternal spirit of recommending what you have…

I’ll go against that grain by saying not Hopes. Not as good as loads of others for the same or less money.

Would probably get Superstar Nanos or plastic Nuke Proof things if buying at the moment

shortcut

I strongly recommend you get some pedals. You’re bike won’t be much good without them.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

budget – superstar el plastique, mid range – superstar nano, more spendy – DMR vault. definitely not shimano saints, quite possibly to worst “proper” flat pedals I’ve used

eyestwice
    Free Member

Currently on Chesters and do rate them…but don’t find them as grippy as my Vaults.

submarined
    Free Member

At the budget end Superstar Nanos are good. Bearings aren’t the best, but for the price you can’t complain.

madhouse

Another Superstar nano user here, really grippy and they come in a variety of colours – what’s not to like?!?!

Rubber_Buccaneer

what’s not to like?!?!

I can’t work out how to replace the worn bushes in mine (Nano-X), bit of a pain since that is what has worn rather than the easily replaced bearings.

ehrob

the stuff from Steele Industries is good. I like their plastic one, they are cheap, and am awaiting arrival of the metal ones that I pre-ordered, and look like Vaults.

schmiken

Exotic thru pin pedals are pretty good for £40.

andy10011
    Free Member

Nuke proof electrons

chakaping
    Free Member

These are the same as the old Nanos – bit smaller than the Nano X…
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?product_code=CC-PED07F

I prefer them a bit smaller myself, as the actress said to the bishop.

grum
    Free Member

Nanos are best value. DMR Vaults are nicer but maybe not enough nicer for the price difference.

Simon

Definitely not Shimano Saint, first pair I had one pedal was loose on its axle out of the box. Replacement pair lasted a couple of years before the end of the axle sheared off.
    Replaced Saints with old style Nanos which have been good so far, (couple of months). Had these in my spares box for ages.
    My favourites are the Kona Wah Wahs on my full suss. Similar to Nanos but smaller diameter grippier screws. These are still going strong after 5 years and well over 6000km with no maintenence, not even a replacement pin.

prawny

I’ve got some old nanos they’re good. The new ones (nano x?) are even better, tried them on a mates bike and it was mentally grippy with my Teva Links, couldn’t even wiggle my foot about.

So them, or the carbon cycles ones.

jamesmio
    Free Member

In a contrast to Simon, I’ve got Shimano Saints on all my bikes and (so far at least) haven’t had a second’s grief with them.

Probably only been running the oldest set a couple of years, so there may be issues in the pipeline I suppose.

I like them, anyway.

ads678

definitely not shimano saints, quite possibly to worst “proper” flat pedals I’ve used

I’ve seen this a few times on here, but they have 4.6 out of 5 from 882 reviews on CRC! They can’t be that bad?!?

amack23
    Free Member

definitely not shimano saints, quite possibly to worst “proper” flat pedals I’ve used
    I’ve seen this a few times on here, but they have 4.6 out of 5 from 882 reviews on CRC! They can’t be that bad?!?

Has it anything to do with feet size. I bought saints on the strength of the reviews, though, hated them. Swapped them out for nukeproof electrons, found them much gripper and supportive , and cheaper to boot. I’ve size 12 feet again if that matters

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

The Saints have pretty short pins and are pretty heavy. I have a set on my hardtail-they are okay, but there is definitely better available for a similar price.

Kahurangi

Check out the thin alu ones from Carbon Cycles. Cheap, thin and mine are lasting well. Tempted to get some for spares and for the Mrs TBH.

psycorp
    Free Member

SS Nano’s. Got them on all my bikes and lasted a damn sight longer than every set of Saint’s I’ve had.

patagonian
    Free Member

In no particular order:-
    Superstar Nanos
    DMR V12’s
    Wellgo Mg1’s

Onzadog
    Free Member

The DMR Vault are fantastic pedals and the support from DMR has always Bern faultless.

Steer clear of RaceFace Altas. It’s a great pedal when it works but the bearing life is ridiculously short which doesn’t make sense as they have rain and mud in Canada.

jackf

Cheers all for the responses. The superstar nano-x’s look ideal! Interesting to hear mixed reactions on the Saint stuff

orangespyderman

I had some Saints. They’re on my commuter bike now 😐 Nano-X on the MTB – great value for money and reasonably serviceable if needed.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Vaults all the way. Great grip, feel and easy to service.

oink1
    Free Member

Another vote for Nano’s 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

Has it anything to do with feet size. I bought saints on the strength of the reviews, though, hated them. Swapped them out for nukeproof electrons, found them much gripper and supportive , and cheaper to boot. I’ve size 12 feet again if that matters

Perhaps, I’m size 8 and though I wouldn’t say the Saint’s are a favourite bit of kit … they are fine…

The Saints have pretty short pins and are pretty heavy.

Pins are short on the default but not bad when you take out the spacers and they aren’t as light as some alternatives … but they are £45

regreased once every year and the bearings still looked great a month ago when I stripped and regreased …

Based on choose any 2 they are not bad in all three … pretty durable, not overly heavy and fairly cheap… not the best in any of the three…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nukeproof Electrons.

Brilliant pedals. £30? Bargain.

jackf

Thanks all, there are certainly a few reoccurring names!

joebristol

I’ve got Wellgo MG-1 which I got for a bargain price on eBay. Lovely metallic / pearlescent white colour out the box. Paint comes off very quickly though.

Surprisingly light for a flat pedal as made out of magnesium. So far I’ve not damaged them in any way despite numerous rock strikes.

However I’m on the lookout for other pedals to try as since swapping to 5.10 free riders the wellgo pedals feel a little bit narrow.

danbo
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizon – the metal version. Had the plastic ones which were great for a while but they have some non replaceable pins that break off. The metal ones are all replaceable. Brilliant.

solidrooster
    Free Member

Another nano user here. They’re cheap and stick like **** to your shoes. Bontrager line pro are smart as well, although twice price of nanos

onewheelgood

These seem rather good for the money – £36. I don’t use flats much, but so far they’ve been fine.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/pedals-pegs/boardman-performance-flat-pedal

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@rubber buccaneer

By some strange coincidence I’ve been leafing through a copy of mbr from October 2012.

Their five minute fix covers superstar nano/ kona wah wah service.

They say that rebuild kits are available for £15 from superstar.

They use a 6mm Allen key along with 8 and 9mm sockets.

Once you get the axle and outboard cartridge bearings out of the pedal, you’ll need to stick a screwdriver in to tap out the inner bushing with a hammer.

Hope that makes sense.

+1 for wellgo

I’ve got a magnesium pair that unclip from the cranks. The threads on the pedal axles are super tough.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Vaults – best grip I’ve had from a flat pedal – the Gamut Podiums are very close and are thinner but aren’t as concave feeling – but obviously get you closer to the ground, my previous Spike Spanks weren’t as grippy as either pedal and V8s get nowhere near them, Giant flat pedals are the only set I’ve torn to pieces in a crash and are made of cheap pot metal – stay away.

joebristol

Those Boardman pedals above are nice and thin and look more expensive than they are. Think they’re quite narrow though if you have wide shoes.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me pedals…’ is closed to new replies.