Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommend me mud tyres, please!
  • hock

quick search didn’t bring up a thread, so:

Looking for front tyre only, should be a “throughout winter”-tyre on sloppy, gooey forest singletracks (no rocks, few roots).

– was/is there a thread on mud tyres?
    – if not: I consider Geax Daturas, Maxxis Medusas or Specialized Storm Controls
    – anything else?
    – would Maxxis DH tyres like High Roller or Mignion work, too?

Cheers!

stevede
    Free Member

I use storm controls, decent mud tyre IMO, not devastatingly draggy like a swampthing either. If you want higher volume and more of an all rounder the black chilli baron 2.3 is an awesome tyre, have those on my bigger bike (then der barons for dh).

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Beavers

dantsw13

I use GEAX Datura Front, and Mud X rear. Very happy – I’ve not spun out the rear, even in heavy mud.

Both work tubeless too.

Wally

Mud-X – excellent quality and cheapish from Triton cycles.

t-p26
    Free Member

Just fitted XR-Muds, seem good so far apart from large sections of wet roots

superfli
    Free Member

MudX and Storm on lightweight HT, and Swampy/Geax Datura on my AM bike.
    All similar tread patterns, the swampy and Geax being bigger heavier tyres, but it doesnt really matter when youre bike is covered in mud.
    Very impressed with the Geax, esp for £13 UST from on one 🙂

hock

Many thanks, so far!

Leaning towards the cheapo on-one Geax offer at the moment.
    Though Bontragers get very passionately recommended…

Find it a little difficult to determine whether the terrain is rather sloppy in a loose or in a clay-y way… 😕
    I guess it’s mostly muddy in a sandy-to-organic way with a lot of leaves strewn in for good measure 🙂

Stumbled across this overview while googling some of your recommendations:
    Mud Tyre overview by bikemagic.com <- comments there include some more opinions

mrelectric

Hock,
    I’ve got a pair of Panaracer TrailRaker in VGC FS here. Well recommended:
    Folding bead 2.1″. Excellent for mud & wet trails.
    Little use and loads of tread left. Label included with spec details.

One tyre has slight sidewall scuffs; minor.

Pics ready to send! Email in profile

CRC: £28 each; £40 pair posted UK.

Post or collect from Baildon, Shipley.

PayPal prefered please.

Cheers,
    David

robbonzo
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a Conti Mudking 1.8 and medusa 2.1

The mudking was not cheap £36 from CRC, but supposed to be very good. Lightweight and good protection, will get out at the weekend. Alot of people swear by bontrager xr muds.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Michelin Muds on CRC at £9.00 each?

nickc

Mud X or trailrakers for the Chilterns. V sloppy woodsy Singletrack

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Trailrakers are better in mud than XR-Muds, but XR-muds are better everywhere else than Trailrakers. And XR-Muds are better in mud than non-mud tyres.

Depends what you’re after really.

gonzy
    Free Member

i use Panaracer Fire FR 2.4’s.
    they grip really well and have no problems in muddy conditions…
    looks like steel bead versions are the only versions available now as mine are the folding versions….

jonnyrockymountain

bonty mud x

MadPierre

Scwalbe Dirty Dan, Panracer Trailraker….

nickswolves
    Free Member

Mud-X or Spesh Storm Controls – won’t go wrong with either

hock

got Mud X -> works for me!

Definitely substantially better and more defined grip compared to the Ardent 2.4 (which was great throughout summer).

So thanks for your recommendations!

catfood
    Free Member

Depends where you ride, just lots of mud then Mud X are perfect, lots of wet roots thrown in then Mud X rear and a Swampthing ST on the front, bit draggy but sticks like glue.

mboy
    Free Member

Lots of people swear by the Mud X, and I think that they’re great in mud, but they aren’t half slow elsewhere! By contrast Maxxis Medusa’s are very nearly as good in the mud, but are much faster rolling and a better alround bet. Cheap from On One too right now.

If its front only and you want a larger volume though, consider those Geax Datura’s, but also a 2.35 Super Tacky Swamp Thing, or even a Minion. Unless you’re riding is constant gloop the entire ride, the Minion will be fine but it will also stick better elsewhere than a full on mud tyre. Same could also be said of a 2.3″ Conti Baron.

composite
    Free Member

I like either the Storm Control 2.0 or Panaracer Fire FR 2.1. I think the the Panaracer’s roll better out of the mud.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Continental Explorer. Great tyre. Used them for years in all conditions. Never struggled for grip with them

The only thing that they don’t like is landing on rocks (pinch flat easily), but that might be because I have the “pro folding” tyre and the sidewalls seem very soft.

I am looking for a fatter tyre as I’m riding rockier stuff locally now, but hoping I can get someting fatter but with the same tread (haven’t looked yet).

cazum
    Free Member

Continental baron black chilli been looking at the same thing today seems to be a winner for me!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I swear by Mud X too. Have them on all year tbh. Don’t find them slow at all on the 26er but for some reason they do seem a bit more draggy on the 29er.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I use Rubber Queen BC all year round and ive yet to find a place where they seem out of their depth.

stoat

I like my medusas

Northwind

pbooker1995 – Member

I use Rubber Queen BC all year round and ive yet to find a place where they seem out of their depth.

They seem pretty variable depending on the type of mud but I had some rides where they basically clogged instantly at the start and spent the entire rest of the ride as gigantic steamrollers, much worse than most other tyres I’ve used. And they can be pretty floaty on slimy mud too, not that paddly.

Scamper
    Free Member

Mud X – 600g and roll reasonably well and not that bad on rocks and roots.

hock

after a winter of mud, slop, snow, more snow, slop, mud the Mud X have proven to be a really good choice
    they grip well in the deep stuff and if they let go it’s in a controlled manner
    at the same time they are not scary on hardpack or tarmac

Thx again for the advise here! 🙂

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

MUDDY MARYS

Nothing compares in the Welsh winter slop

chrishc777
    Free Member

Conti Barons. £12 and excellent in the mud. keep the grip on roots too unlike most mud tires. almost 1kg though…

IainAhh
    Free Member

I swapped a Rubber Queen for a Baron 2.3 BC on the rear as I was finding the RQ getting really clogged up.
    The baron works great for me, good grip all round and less clogging.
    Also a decent volume tyre if that matters to you.
    (Mud X also great grip but quite a small volume tyre.)

Northwind

Black chili barons are nigh godly… As good as a swampthing in rooty rocky slop, but far better on harder stuff. Not as good in the dry as a Minion- slower and less grippy- but not so terribly far off, it’s the only mud tyre I’ve been happy with out of mud. Expensive, and the sidewalls aren’t durable (mine has started to fray!) but other’n that just supoib.

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 for the Baron. Even the cheapo steel beaded ones are pretty good. It stayed on the back of my main bike for the whole of last year, only swapped it out last week for a Rampage.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me mud tyres, please!’ is closed to new replies.