Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me me a tandoori oven type thing for home
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’m looking to be able to cook Tandoori style meats at home and am thinking a clay pot in an oven wont reach the temperature needed so if this is a no go what do you recommend and have you any tips?

tymbian
    Free Member

Mods please move to chat

Stoner
    Free Member

isnt there a DIY design using vermiculite and terracotta plant pots? WIll go and googlify

here we go, knew Id seen one somewhere

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXXamj8lV4[/video]

tymbian
    Free Member

What d’you reckon that’ll look like on the kitchen worktop?
    Fwiw my SO doesn’t even like the smoke off of the George Foreman

alibongo001

There was a version made out of a metallic bin type incinerator on the Jamie and Jimmy food program a while ago

I bet a google would find the instructions and method!

tang
    Free Member

You need to get hold of a copy of the South Asian restaurant trade mag ‘Spice world’ loads of ads for commercial tandoori ovens!

tymbian
    Free Member

Bumping up for the evening culinarians..

Ps. I’m not after anything industrail sized.

NZCol

Tandoori requires quite a lot of heat, having that in your kitchen wouldn’t be all that smart frankly. That clay pot one above is the bomb.

slowoldman

Apparently they require a great deal of skill to use too. Restaurants here say they are having trouble attracting good tandoori chefs.

blairc70
    Free Member

Weber charcoal portable bbq will give you the required very hot dry heat.

simondbarnes

Unless your kitchen is the size of the Saturday Kitchen kitchen then you really don’t want one inside it. Build something on the patio 🙂

monde
    Free Member

Here you go

http://www.jamieoliver.com/jimmytandoori/to.pdf

This version works well as the metal bin keeps the heat contained as a clay pot by itself struggles to get to temp and hold it.

Prepare to lose all your arm hair!

maccruiskeen

You need to get hold of a copy of the South Asian restaurant trade mag ‘Spice world’ loads of ads for commercial tandoori ovens!

You also need to fit some major league extraction. The heat given off is pretty phenomenal. When my local takeaway’s extraction broke down the heat in there was utterly extraordinary – not uncomfortably hot, unbearably hot. Its definitely something you’d want to do outside unless you were building your house around it – in the way you might configure a house and and its systems around a Aga or a Rayburn. – but even then its much more fierce.

In my daydream Grand Designs house the heat and hot water would be run from a tandoor so that I’d have to make a duvet-sized nan bread every time I ran a bath. Mind you my Grand Designs fantasy house has a third tap in the kitchen – ‘hot’, ‘cold’ and ‘hummous’.

tomaso
    Free Member

How to this tandoori oven
    Another here

cannyj
    Free Member

Damn you STW!! Am now an owner of one of theses:

http://www.puritandoors.co.uk/Products/stainless-steel-tandoors/domestic-tandoori-oven-SS1

Looks well made, collected fro warehouse In Trowell, Nottingham.

Will report back. Tandoor chicken currently in marinade

monde
    Free Member

Looks good that Canny. Interested in the Donner Kebab accessory!!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Surely tjagain is the fella to ask

cannyj
    Free Member

Soooo, two curing firings carried out, chicken been marinading for 48hrs and a proper cook firing to be done tomorrow, can’t wait!
    Seems very well made and complete with all kebab skewars and naan hooks. Plan your make naan over weekend after trea with salt solution after tomorrow’s cook.all good so far!

tymbian
    Free Member

Cannyi
    Awaiting invite..I mean pictures and a report.
    Not jealous at all.

cannyj
    Free Member

It going to néed to be good, Mrs Cannyj was ‘less than’ enthusiastic on seeing it…. apparently we don’t need any more ‘stuff’ . It’s not a though I’ve bought a bike (for myself) recently 😀

cannyj
    Free Member

So…..happy to report, just like restaurant tandoori chiicken! Delicious suculent and and light charring child’s play to use. Took no longer than a bbq to heat, could hav cooked for a couple of hours without topping up the charcoal. Saline solution clean tomorro when cool then home naan on the weekend! Can’t wait!
    Whats th best host to post photos? Always Forget!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me me a tandoori oven type thing for home’ is closed to new replies.