Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me – chain tool & cable cutters
  • 40mpg

I keep breaking the tabs off chain tools, although i’ve only had cheapo Halfords ones in the past. Any decent workshop ones at a reasonable price?

Also cable cutters – mine are rather blunt after 20 years of use, and struggle to get through gear cable outers now.

m1kea
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Shimano chain splitter and felco wire cutters

trail_rat
    Free Member

Park cutters were gash – may have changed , chain tools ok though

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Shimano cable cutters. Park splitter.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Best chain tool I’ve ever used it the one on my Topeak multi tool.

‘Bike’ cable cutters are EXACTLY the same as everyone elses, just 4 times the price with a cool logo on them. I got some from B&Q or somewhere (I forget now) and they were about £7

mattjg
    Free Member

I was just about to write “best chain tool I’ve ever used is the one on my Topeak multi tool.”

Mine is donkey’s years old but very similar to http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4695

lunge

Park workshop chain tool is bloody good but not cheap, their mini chain tool is pretty good as well.
    However, their cable cutters are not great so buy something else, Shimano would be my suggestion.

MrGreedy

Seconded Thirded! Proper nifty, and has the little paperclip thingy to hold the chain ends together so it doesn’t explode all over the place when the tension is released. (Mine is Hexus model, have got three of them in various seatpacks/Camelbaks now)

As for cable cutters, Shimano ones have been fine for me and no signs of wear, but not tried anything else to compare.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Second the negative comments on Park Tools’ wire cutters. I’ve had two pairs, both of which stopped cutting after a few months. Not sure what the problem is/was but they just wouldn’t cut – they crimped really well though!

z1ppy

Get some wire cutters from screwfix, no doubt they’ll be the same £7 jobbies as PP has got. I have some of these and a set of shimano cutters, both do exactly the same job, except one cost significantly more than the other…

As for chain tools, I got a smart Japanese (Honsa?) one from On-One ages ago, it’s ace but my Crank Bro multitool chain tool has seen more use (out on the trail) and never let me down yet. Though I believe it won’t work with shimano pin’s, but then I’m happy with quick links so thats never been an issue.

m1kea
    Free Member

Not had a prob with my Park cable cutters. However my Bahco cutters have started playing silly burggers as of late. Probably need sharpening.

nickjb
    Free Member

I use this Topeak chain tool:

… and some Draper cable cutters.

Both excellent bits of kit.

I’d say 20 years of use is a good run so maybe just replace what you have.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rob concurs.

chives
    Free Member

Got a pair of cable cutters of ebay for about £3 from a tool place in Glasgow. Postage was a bout 2.50 IIRC. They work fine.

And I use the chain tool on my Crank Bros multi-thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me – chain tool & cable cutters’ is closed to new replies.