Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me: Car hire in Brisbane
  • johndoh
    Free Member

As the title – looking for approx 4 weeks hire next March/April.

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What you need it for 4 weeks for, going to be pricy!!
    At the airport Hertz/Avis/Europcar/Budget are all resonable, book through car trawler etc for a better rate.
    After that camper van relocations etc are decent but short notice.
    Where you planning on going? Plenty of non car options for some stuff

johndoh
    Free Member

What you need it for 4 weeks for, going to be pricy!!

Staying with family (who live in a residential area so we aren’t on the doorstep of a beach or anything) and they work so we want to be able to get about by ourselves – it may not end up being the full 4 weeks but just starting to investigate options.

A quick look is throwing up an X-Trail for £442 for 23 days though, which is under my finger in the air budget.

Where you planning on going?

We are staying about 15 miles south of Brisbane, I forget the name of the town but somewhere on the Gold Coast LOL!

jaylittle
    Free Member

As Mike said some of the relocation deals are good but not much use over a long period. Did 4 relocations whilst travelling oz.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gold Coast, you mean Blackpool meets Vegas…
    Train from airport to Gold Coast (from the terminal)
    Brissie Public transport is really good not sure about gold coast
    http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/thegoldcoast/community-public-transport-12209.html
    Check that out as it’s normally easier and quicker.
    Not sure if you can do this as your foreign
    https://www.goget.com.au/about-us/ Car Shares

What your family suggest or are they full Queenslanders?

Some discounts on week plus but never much so maybe better to get for the few days you need

johndoh
    Free Member

Gold Coast, you mean Blackpool meets Vegas…

No idea, but it’s where my brother in law and his family live so that’s where we are going!

P-Jay
    Free Member

OPs made me very jealous!

Personally I’d pay a bit extra for a Holden Commodore, but that’s more for old times sake than anything else.

I’d like to take a Boggo, white V6 for a cruise up the East Coast again.

They’re not too bad out of town for fuel, low (and ruthlessly enforced) speed limits and long journeys were tailor made for fuel efficiency.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, for the distance the train beats driving after the international flight and nice and reliable to get back to the airport for the way home. Hire places there and at GC airport

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally I’d pay a bit extra for a Holden Commodore, but that’s more for old times sake than anything else.

The current one has the drivers seat moved in slightly to accommodate an airbag or something but they didn’t move the pedals. Kills the hip/knee/back after a couple of hundred km’s

johndoh
    Free Member

I won’t be driving *FROM* the airport (I am hoping we’ll be collected) so we were thinking about a few days chilling before collecting the car.

OPs made me very jealous!

🙂 Holiday of a lifetime so our little girls (8 yrs old) can see their cousins who emigrated out there three years ago. Also going to Dubai for 3 nights (one of their school friends has just emigrated there) then two nights in Hong Kong on the way back.

So all we got was 3 nights camping this year so we could afford it 🙂

3phase
    Free Member

If you’re staying the Brisbane area and not going on a massive roadtrip the car transfer deals are no use to you.

I stayed in Brisbane for 3 weeks and hired from this Mom and pop type shop, cheap deals and the cars did the job for about 20quid a day
    http://www.gatewayautorentals.com.au/

P-Jay
    Free Member

Holiday of a lifetime so our little girls (8 yrs old) can see their cousins who emigrated out there three years ago. Also going to Dubai for 3 nights (one of their school friends has just emigrated there) then two nights in Hong Kong on the way back.
    So all we got was 3 nights camping this year so we could afford it

Brilliant, I’d love to try to convince my Wife to forgo a holiday for a few years and stupid amounts of Xmas presents for the Kids or something to go again, but she won’t go for it. I tried to convince her to skip Xmas this year, or at least the massive vulgar commercial aspect of it for a killer summer hol (by our modest standards) and she wouldn’t go for it – I think sometimes she’s worried what the neighbours might think if we’re not putting out 5 bags of used wrapping paper for recycling on Boxing Day.

Maybe in a few years when the kids are grown up, I haven’t been since 2001 but it’s one of the few trips that’s completely stuck in my mind.

It’s a funny old place, some bits are so familiar, some bits of the big cities could be London on a sunny day, then you’ll hear an odd flapping noise and work out that the rough looking ‘leaves’ hanging from the trees are actually Fruit Bats or something that looks like a Feathery Jurassic Park reject will stroll past you whilst you’re have lunch.

Probably the most annoying thing is I’ve just been window shopping on STA for flights, 4 of us could Fly to Sydney next month for £2500 which is obviously a lot of money, but about £100 less than Thomas Cook quoted us for a week in some Costa De Shithole in August. I just need an Aussie Relative to stay with now 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah – our flights are costing us £2950 (2 adults and 2 children) which I was very pleasantly surprised about as I expected it to be at least £1k more. We are very fortunate to have friends in Dubai and family in Oz so we just need to pay for two nights in Hong Kong. But I agree – we have done the typical summer holidays some years but others we have just done a few long weekends and/or camping. Generally my wife is very open to this although sometimes she does get drawn in by a bit of holiday envy when the Look At Me Parents at school post up on Facebook about their luxury holidays to Mauritius etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably worth looking at what else you want to get up to out there too, plenty of stuff to get further out too.
    Think my parents got November flights to Hobart for just over 2k the pair so plenty of deals just don’t go in summer hols here.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah not made any plans on what to do when we are there yet as we also have the in-laws and other brother in law with his wife coming (a big family get-together) so we will be doing some stuff with them and other stuff by ourselves.

BillMC

http://www.eastcoastcarrentals.com.au/

I used these a few times and they were OK.
    BTW I much prefer north of Brisbane, Surfers’ is horrible, Sunshine Coast is nicer. Has a great surf at Happy Valleys. Australia Zoo is not far.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just checked and they are in Arundel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://translink.com.au/sites/default/files/assets/resources/plan-your-journey/maps/161219-gold-coast-network.pdf
    That should help for just getting around a bit – up north they do get a bit weird about their cars though and forget that you can walk and stuff 😉 Should be nice riding weather then too
    Commonwealth games MTB will be ready to go then too
    http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/thegoldcoast/about-the-commonwealth-games-30882.html
    Also some good Enduro out a Towoomba might catch Jarred graves there then

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah we already have some CG tickets but not sure what for yet (the brother in law is dealing with that). 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hell I mean just go ride it!

johndoh
    Free Member

LOL yeah right – doubt I will get much me time, but I could bear it in mind 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Staying with family (who live in a residential area so we aren’t on the doorstep of a beach or anything) and they work so we want to be able to get about by ourselves –

Can you get insurance for their car? Might be the best option

antigee

Live in Melbourne so can’t suggest any local cheap deals but we have one car as mrs antigee works in city or out of state so we hire for weekends / school hols when stuff clashes I use
    Vroom Vroom

A lot only looks at the majors but if you look 3-4days in advance then get bargains – knowing what suburb is an easy pick up helps I look at 2 or 3 and either ride or couple of train stops – website has annoying and not good pop up for excess waiver ignore and check your travel insurance or book in advance to cover any potential drivers

johndoh
    Free Member

Can you get insurance for their car? Might be the best option

No – if we want a car for when they aren’t around (ie at work) they need the (company) car.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I’ve used East coast rentals before and had no problems apart from the usual trying to sell collision insurance that we already had from the UK.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me: Car hire in Brisbane’ is closed to new replies.