Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me an office chair
  • AlexSimon

Looking for a new office chair.
    Something reasonably priced, reasonably stylish, with arm rests.

Currently thinking of an Eames copy like this, but a bit unsure

I’ve noticed that Aerons are cheap on Ebay, but they’re very big. My temporary office is in the bedroom while I build a garden office so would like something a bit more ‘domestic’ if poss.

Cheers!

geoffj

The Aerons are very good. I picked up a slightly used one off gumtree for my study (home worker here) and it really is the dogs globes.

eltonerino

I have a Steelcase Leap. Second hand of eBay. It cost £100, but it’s not small. I can sit cross legged in it.

ElShalimo

If you’re going to sit in it for any length of time the answer is the comfiest one.
    Choosing a pretty chair is just stupid. I work at home 3 or 4 days a week 10-12 hrs/day
    Pretty chair means back pain
    If you work in an office and your chair is comfy just buy one of them. It’s a chair not an item for dinner conversation

AlexSimon

ElShalimo – Member

If you’re going to sit in it for any length of time the answer is the comfiest one.
    Choosing a pretty chair is just stupid. I work at home 3 or 4 days a week 10-12 hrs/day
    Pretty chair means back pain
    If you work in an office and your chair is comfy just buy one of them
    Obviously I don’t want anything uncomfortable, but I’ve worked from home for 10 years now 5d/8h. On the same chair. It’s nothing special, but absolutely fine, but it’s very tired-looking now and is a horrible colour.
    All the office chairs I’ve used seem perfectly fine comfort-wise to me tbh.
    But I’ll take your point on board and make sure I sit on it before I commit.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought one of these from Ikea a few years ago, I can’t fault it really (10 year guarantee too). Ikea Markus

globalti
    Free Member

Whatever you buy, sit on it first and make sure it has very good support for the lumbar area. There are some chairs now that just have a net back with an adjustable supporting pad; they’re garbage. Also go for one with a tweedy wool fabric not anything slippery because you will just find yoursef sliding into bad postures. A wooly fabric will hold you in the correct position.

We’ve just had an office refurb and they took my old comfortable chair away and gave me some modern shite; I was extremely upset and within a few days I got backache. I had to go and find my old chair and sneakily get it back early one morning.

The chair pictured by the OP at top is a modern take on mine; short and with plenty of lumbar support.

dudeofdoom

+1 aeron (second hand ebay jobs)

bought mine yonks ago and had it delivered to work. my back loves me for it…

tekp2
    Free Member

+1 for second hand aerons. I got mine for 100 quid from a bust startup. In three months of working from home last year my back thanked me for it every single day.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Steelcase Think here, firm but very comfy long term.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Been looking for something suitable for home office myself, but not too big a footprint and can tuck under a typical desk rather than stick out due to arm rests that don’t fit under the desk. And cheap. Plenty of fancy stuff I see recommended that’s £500 to £1k. Really is a bit much. Not in that I can’t afford it, but I’d rather spend that money on bike stuff than a chair 😉

onewheelgood

Aerons are great. A slightly smaller and slightly more affordable option is the Mirra.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Office chairs are my business . Supply Humanscale amongst others ….. For the OP I have an ex demo eames type chair in my showroom that may be of interest. And several other types too !

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Front seat out of an Alfa

AlexSimon

Hi paulmgreen – where are you based? I’m SK10

yourguitarhero – Member

Ha!
    I wonder…

My brother (who supplies office furniture) is pushing an Okomura CP, but even at trade it’s silly money for me:

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member

I Made one out of a 911 RS seat

It was surprisingly uncomfortable 🙁

ajc
    Free Member

Those eames chairs are crap as task chairs. A very outdated design. You can’t adjust the arm height and you will probably struggle to pull it in close to your desk. Aeron chairs can be good but you need to understand the different variations. They come in 3 sizes and also meeting room and task chair versions. The lumbar support if they have it it pretty basic. Try out different chairs and get someone that knows what they are talking about to show you how to set it up properly.

welshfarmer

Another vote for the Ikea one above. I went through office chairs like others go through socks. This one though has lasted many years and still looks like new.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Intrigued by those saddle type chairs, anyone used one, have an opinion. (What am I saying this is STW)

caspian
    Free Member

Really is a bit much. Not in that I can’t afford it

If you’re that much of a player then you need a Varier Thatsit balance chair

househusband

Intrigued by those saddle type chairs, anyone used one, have an opinion. (What am I saying this is STW)

I don’t have a saddle type chair but seeing as you mentioned them… I treated to myself to a Stokke Balans (now called the Vaier Variable) some ten years ago and do find it very comfortable for extended periods at the desk however I am not an office worker and my job does not entail extended periods sitting down.

I’d also be interested to know if anyone does use them in an office.

EDIT: Guess this makes me a ‘player’ huh..?

kcal

hh – hi there, long time no speak!

I had one of those as my office chair for a long time, work paid for it – bought from Tony Walker Interiors aeons ago. Wife has the one with the back and arms.

I now have a HAG – https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/office-chairs/hag-office-chairs/hag-h04-chairs/
    Not cheap 🙁

AlexSimon

Thanks all – lots to consider.

andylitespeed
    Free Member

I have an Aeron, would recommend it, the arm rests slide down easily so you can tuck the chair under the desk.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Only trouble with the knee chairs is that they can put a lot of stress on your knees – try going for a late afternoon run after sitting on one all day and you can ‘feel it’.

I have a Stokke Duo which has a very good kneeling option but also several other positions to sit for variety – but it is not small.

I have had several decent chairs in various investment banks, but a simple Hag chair that I rescued as the arm had loosened was the best, when seated in a slight recline, as recommended by Nasa, etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an office chair’ is closed to new replies.