Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me an "impervious" to weather ride
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Trying to plan a pre-festive ride out next Wednesday with “the [mid-thirties balding blokes with expanding waistlines] lads” and looking for somewhere reasonably weather proof.

I’m thinking a trail centre is a good call for that reason and, despite it being a long way (north Yorkshire based) , I’m toying with kiroughtree, mabie or Dalbeattie, equally north Wales is no further away (lakes is closer but a no because of travel) Gisburn is possible though last time I was there it looked like it would be no better than a real hills ride in the wet. Oh and Dalby is out.

Any suggestions on if any of the above should be avoided in poor weather?

Any suggestions on a better place to head – non trail centre but weather independent suggestions welcome

Failing a else we’ll just go to the pub.*

Ta

*we might opt for this anyway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont do Dalbeattie

I dont like trail centres at the best of time but it is just death by undulating fire road [ up and down] the good bits are excellent but last for about 1/2 mile but they are a long way apart

I like KT but cannot comment on how weather proof it is

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointer on Dalbeattie, sounds very much not worth a 300 plus mile trip.

richardkennerley

Gisburn will fine, just a lot of standing water.

You say no because of travel to the lakes? I assume you mean because of the flooding? That depends on where you are thinking of going. I went to Grizedale and did an “off piste” ride on Tuesday and all was fine. Trails ok and roads ok heading in from Blackpool. The A591 is open as far as Ambleside then you head over to Hawkshead.

I would’ve thought you could do the whole tour of Coniston from Grizedale no problem, taking in Walna Scar.

Also Garburn/gatescarth/nan bield from Staveley should be fairly weatherproof and easy to get to from the M-way.

vmgscot

Kirro is definately weather proof – been riding it last few weeks through storms and then snow at weekend. Also Drumlanrig is also weatherproof as sheltered – again I ride that allo winter weathers.

senorj

Langdales,Loughrigg terrace etc? Be lovely and quiet mid week.
    Plenty to do around there that’s weather proof.
    Plus put some cash in the Cumbrian coffers. 🙂

IdleJon

dont do Dalbeattie

I dont like trail centres at the best of time but it is just death by undulating fire road [ up and down] the good bits are excellent but last for about 1/2 mile but they are a long way apart

Just for balance I thoroughly enjoyed Dalbeattie, as did the bunch I went with, and we are spoilt for choice with trail centres being based here in South Wales. (I’m not casting aspersions on Junkyard’s fitness but we thought it was the sort of place where you need to go full tilt at everything to enjoy.)

TomB

Why is Lake District a no go? Barring the road from Grasmere to Keswick, you can get everywhere, not far from N Yorks, lots of weatherproof riding. Also, Cumbria needs your support!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Largely due to the flooding Richard, I saw enough problems pop up on traffic report that I didn’t even bother to look at what they were in honesty so may be just volume of traffic rather than actual road closures or other issues, I’ll check properly.

Grizedale could be a good call though as a base and head off and do something natural out that way.

Will check on the above suggestions too thanks

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Anyone know if roads to Glenridding are open and clear?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Zwift?

matt_outandabout

‘Impervious to weather’

Drumlanrig becomes more ‘engaging’ for the rider, in the damp. 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Llandegla is the most weather proof place I’ve ever ridden.

whitestone
    Free Member

Here’s a list of road/bridge closures in Cumbria – http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/news/2015/december/14_12_2015-133414.asp (Glenridding is in the east area)

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

thanks, looks ok for an assault on Helvellyn then…

iainc

Drumlanrig becomes more ‘engaging’ for the rider, in the damp

aye, if you like cuddling roots 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Cheers for the pointerso might take a look at drumlanrig, if only as I’ve no idea where it is.

Llandegla is tempting, largely due to the quality of post ride refreshment available at one planet adventure though. It’s not bad as trail centres go but it is a long drive for somewhere not that exciting and that I’ve ridden a fair few times (it’s conveniently on the way to or from just about every Wales trip)

qwerty
    Free Member

Coed y Brenin.

tomj
    Free Member

Gisburn is fine in the winter. I live near the Dales and its my alternative for when the natural stuff is turning to bog. There will be a lot of standing water and puddles but underneath its all fine.

Only thing to be aware of is that its not as sheltered as some trail centres, quite exposed to the elements at the top so take appropriate gear.

joelowden

The Black section of Kirri was lovely today , yesterday , and the day before, it drains really well .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an "impervious" to weather ride’ is closed to new replies.