Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • recommend me an exercise
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

so running doesn’t suit me, my knee complains too much and that leads to time off the bike….does anyone do any low inpact exercise that you don’t have to join classes for/costs the earth and i can do straight from home..

schrickvr6
    Free Member

What do you want to achieve?

Spin
    Free Member

You mean something other than biking?

iainc

swimming

nathaneddy
    Free Member

XC skiing is great for the knees, very low impact. Needs snow, though.

jam-bo

Road bike

Northwind

How low is your low impact? I did tai chi classes for a while as I wasn’t able to do anything more strenuous, small upfront cost but once you’ve learned the form you can do it solo if you want. Great for balance and flexibility, and slightly useful for core strength etc.

(on the one hand, it’s often handwavey grannies. But on the other hand, it’s a martial art and can be trained as such, just pick your school and style appropriately. I’ve done both balletic stuff which bored me to bits, but also nightbus tai chi, both have their merits)

carlphillips
    Free Member

just want to keep a bit of cross training up really

@ jambo, have thought of that but if I’m going to use time riding then I think I would prefer just to go out on my mtb really.

@iainc
    swimming would be ace, my local pool is a bit shit though so the nearest usable one is 20mins away plus nearly £4 a swim…

@nathan
    …no snow here just yet but i’ll bear it in mind… 🙂

@northwind, nothing too low impact just have dodgy knees. have thought about yoga but decent classes are scant around the southwest backwater!

Northwind

Mmm, it’s still useful for the able-bodied but tbh probably will be better options for you. I quit once i could ride again but I really regret it, will probably pick up refresher classes at some point.

wrecker
    Free Member

Have a look at p90x?
    The vids are available if you know where to look…..

Jamie
    Free Member

The vids are available if you know where to look…..

WHSmiths?

patriotpro
    Free Member

This any good?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FLtYVVaoPRlXPTcubeTesPyg&feature=player_detailpage&v=NkXw9hB0Zpo[/video]

carlphillips
    Free Member

@wrecker…where? (i don’t know where to look!)

@PP that looks hard work!!

banks
    Free Member

Rowing machine & kettle bell??

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

sex, . . .or making love, . . .whichever is your preference. Sorted.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Squats! really heavy Squats.

patriotpro
    Free Member

carlphillips – Member

@PP that looks hard work!!

To do the full sets of each exercise three times at the pace he does it makes you WORK hard!

If it looks like too much for you tho, just pick out three exercises and do those to get you off to a good start.

Pick a swing, the get-up and another of your choice and reap the rewards on and off the bike.

carlphillips
    Free Member

kwfc…great for my knees eh!
    whisk..sexercise..i like it..
    banks..no room for rowing machine…liking the look of kettle bells though

zilog6128

kwfc…great for my knees eh!

yes. heavy squats will fix your knees, then you can get back on the bike.

jam-bo

Road bike is great for smashing out 45mins to an hour when your short on time. Door to door with very little messing about.

From tavi I can get to princetown and back on just under the hour. 14 miles and 1500ft climbing. You could probably do similar around lee moor etc.

carlphillips
    Free Member

mmm thats true…maybe I’ll borrow one to see if I like it…can’t help but think I’ll find it dull though.

still fancy grenofen woods soon…will mail you when I’m back to 100% which won’t be long, going to head out for a gentle spin tomorrow to see how it feels riding.

jam-bo

Welcome to have a crack on mine if you like. 58cm spesh secteuer.

Maybe grenofen next week, away in holland this week.

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers may well do that…enjoy Holland…its shocking weather here..

justatheory
    Free Member

Fighting

banks
    Free Member

I’ve got a fold up rowing machine in shed, when not in use it’s held up against the wall.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

My old creeky knees grumble if i stop doing Squats.

Bone density improves with low impact heavy weight training and squats are the best overall exercise there is to support cycling. Just check your form and build up steadily.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@jat i live in plymouth..fighting isn’t training its a social pastime.

@banks
    I could store one at work..

jam-bo

mmm thats true…maybe I’ll borrow one to see if I like it…can’t help but think I’ll find it dull though.

Mate of mine regularly clocks 55mph plus down forder valley. It’s far from dull when you’ve got proper hills…

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Spot on Justatheory. Fighting is a superb form of exercise.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’ve a bit of patellar tendonitis on the tibial insertion….I’ll leave the squats alone me thinks for a wee while.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘recommend me an exercise’ is closed to new replies.