Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • recommend me an eReader please
  • lunge

I broke my Nook recently, it was cheap but I liked it a lot, it was simple, had a long battery life and was easy on my eyes.

So I’d like a new eReader type thing. A Kindle seems obvious but it means I’m stuck into Amazon’s infrastructure and can’t download free ePub books. This has lead me to Kobo’s and back to Nook’s.

So anyway, long was of asking a short questions. Which cheap, simple eReader should I buy?

flashpaul
    Free Member

Until recently I always used Kobo
    After my Kobo Glo broke I reluctantly moved to a Kindle Paperwhite

I can honestly say it’s the best ereader I have ever had , far more reliable than Kobo

You can still use ePub books , just use Calibre to convert them first

Cletus

I lost my old Kindle Keyboard a while ago and just bought a Kindle Voyage.

It is not cheap and I struggled to justify the cost to myself but it is awesome and the Origami cover is great too.

I bought my daughter a barely used Nook Glowlight from ebay for £50 and was quite impressed with it. I might have got one for myself if I was not deeply embedded with Amazon and wanted the 3G function the Kindles offer.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’d avoid Kobo. A recent firmware update rendered it unusable. Fixed via Internet forums but those forums indicated the problem dated back to 2012. 3 years without a fix and Kobo tech support didn’t provide the answer.
    Also, you can IIRC convert .epub to kindle using Calibre – free download

lunge

Thanks all, I’ve just managed to pick up another Nook off eBay for not much at all so that’ll do the job for the moment. I suspect a Kindle may be the long term answer though.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Glad you’re sorted, but as mentioned above Kindles used with Calibre make a great combination. You can convert epubs to the kindle format very easily and, if you are so inclined, can also remove the DRM from amazon purchases (not that you should!)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of Sony’s readers. Mainly because of their handing of pdfs.

wicki
    Free Member

I got one of the first kindles downloaded 600 (free)books and am still using it the best electronic device i ever had.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of Sony’s readers.

My mum had one of those and loved it. 2 years old and not holding a charge so she took it back to the shop to be told the fault was the battery and it couldn’t be replaced so she’d need to buy a new one. Told me, I went on Amazon and £15 battery and half an hour with a screwdriver later and guess what? Talking shyte. So, good device but don’t listen to the shopmuppets

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘recommend me an eReader please’ is closed to new replies.