Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Recommend me an epic sci-fi film?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

I was going to go FFS two pages in and nobody’s mentioned Serenity yet. And then I noticed Northwind has… 😳

But, Serenity.

I also enjoyed the Abrams Star Trek movies…. no, really…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Silent Running
    The Martian
    Moon
    And

Akira (but only with English subtitles, do not watch it dubbed).

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’d second the mention of the Expanse, Battlestar Galactica, Event Horizon.

It got bad reports but I quite enjoyed ARQ on netflix just for the concept.

Blackmirror is good too but more of 1 hour long mini films of random Sci Fi stories

senorj

The Fifth Element. – possibly one of the best films ever made!
    Dune +1.
    & Logan’s Run.

chum3
    Free Member

+1 for 12 Monkeys. One of my favourite films. Always felt it deserved a follow up film, and only just realised they’ve created a series from it.

Danny79
    Free Member

The Expanse is so good putting off books for a while as I don’t want to spoil tv series.
    Akira like Ming says with subtitles.
    Ghost in the Shell watch it now before Hollywood waters it down.
    Ghost in the Shell Innocence.

redthunder
    Free Member

Complete film.

Time travel film and quite good. Give a chance, as its an Indie film as well.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5mnqxwErTk[/video]

kiwijohn

Neon Genesis.

Lifer
    Free Member

In terms of time travel ‘Primer’ is hard to beat

househusband

The Forgotten

Deja Vu

Not futuristic space alien sci-fi but still sci-fi, perhaps the former less so – still a good film.

Cougar

But, Serenity.

Bah, watch Firefly first.

13thfloormonk

Don’t see the Men in Black movies mentioned, always enjoyed them, seem to remember finding the third surprisingly good, having expected it to have jumped the shark by that point!

Was going to mentioned Looper as well, see it’s on Netflix at the moment.

Moon was definitely worthwhile, seemed a bit slow but felt like a proper classic sci-fi book made into a movie, Philip K. Dick crossed with Aasimov or something.

When oh when will we see a Culture movie? So much potential in the right hands.

tenfoot

Another Earth with the excellent Brit Marling worth a look for something a bit different.

Melancholia by Lars Von Trier is in a similar vein

cookeaa

When oh when will we see a Culture movie? So much potential in the right hands.

I love the culture books, very much the definition of epic Sci-fi. I worry about how Hollywood might adapt Banks’ work now he’s gone, I’m not sure it would be easy to chop it all up into nice, profitable, 90 minute chunks. some of it might work as film, but I would rather Netflix or amazon took it on a book at a time to make as a series…

There’s a ton of stuff on Netflix and Amazon prime at present… Just have a dip and see what flicks your switch…

Kryton57

The Martian is pretty good, if a a bit ‘merkin at the end.

muddy@rseguy

If you like your dystopian mixed with Terry Gilliam then watch Brazil.
    Pacific Rim is the best antidote to any of the (sh!te) Transformers movies and indeed most dumb Hollywood blockbusters.
    Monsters is very good ( may be a bit slow for some) , leads in nicely to Godzilla and then Rogue One by the same director.
    Moon is just plain awesome 🙂
    Another vote here for The Expanse, not quite up to Battelstar Galactica but very, very good nonetheless.

T1000
    Free Member

The day the earth stood still (the original. Don’t bother with the remake it is dire)

imn

If you liked Interstellar, how about Inception?
    Brazil – to complement Ton’s choice of 12 Monkeys
    Another Earth
    For silliness, Iron Sky

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

John Carpenters, The Thing (still have nightmares about the computer simulation of time from first infection to last human assimilated)

Another vote for Brazil
    Close Encounters of the third kind.

Kamakazie

john_drummer – Member
    I’m currently enjoying The Expanse on Netflix. Outlander is a good film too – humanoid alien lands on Earth in the time of the Vikings, inadvertently bringing a “dragon” with him which duly proceeds to terrorise the neighbourhood

Thanks for pointing out The Expanse is on Netflix. I really like the books so glad I’m able to catch the series. Also reassuring to hear it’s pretty good!

PrinceJohn

Can’t believe those who’ve mentioned Netflix haven’t mentioned stranger things, also check out the new planet of the apes movie.
    As a slightly left field choice try the cloud atlas. It’s a glorious mess of a film, those who’ve read the book say it’s not a patch on it, but I don’t want to ruin the bonkers film by reading the book.
    Also man in the high castle on Amazon is supposed to be good.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Arrival.

Gob-smackingly open-mouthed astonishing and deep as a very deep thing from Mrs Deep’s shop of Deep.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Anyone remember a sci fi film from the 70’s where a group of scientists were on a space station for a prolonged time. I recall the ace buggy’s they used to zip around, and one went a bit mad but I can’t remember the name of the film?

jonnyboi

As it hasn’t been mentioned, The last starfighter, although the cgi might not have aged well

+1 to the thing (original version)
    Matrix trilogy
    Event horizon

CountZero

I’d second 2010 The Year We Make Contact, a more straightforward story than 2001, but still with a fairly epic scope.
    And it’s got Roy Scheider, John Lithgow and Helen Mirren in it, as well.

Ghost in the Shell watch it now before Hollywood waters it down.

No evidence that I’ve seen so far that this is going to be the case, the Japanese creator is fully behind it, unless you’re one of the muppets bleating on about ‘Hollywood whitewashing’ of the characters…
    Which ignores so many of the actual facts about the original character ethnicity, the locations, etc.
    I prefer to wait until I’ve actually seen the film when I can give a proper, informed opinion.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow – a nice retro animated style

Galaxy Quest – not exactly epic, but funny anyway

Rorschach
    Free Member

Anyone remember a sci fi film from the 70’s where a group of scientists were on a space station for a prolonged time. I recall the ace buggy’s they used to zip around, and one went a bit mad but I can’t remember the name of the film?

Silent Running

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers Rorschach. 😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Battlestar Galactica and then The Expanse, (ok not movies) – watch Galactica first as it has a better storyline and actors but dated visuals – whilst the Expanse has a pretty decent storyline, passable actors, great visuals and cool attention to detail in terms of life in space.

Kato

Gattaca. One of my favourites

Flaperon

Silent Running?

ocrider

The Expanse is only one series in. I wouldn’t compare it to bsg until they’ve put out as many seasons. I think it may prove to be better in the long run.
    I was going to suggest Moon but it’s already been mentioned and rightly so.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone mention this? It’s called Midnight Special and I’ve just watched it, it’s rather good. It’s also got Kylo Ren from The Force Awakens in it, and he’s bloody good in this too.

househusband

^ A fine recommendation!

Sanny
    Free Member

The thing from another world.
    The day the earth stood still.
    Forbidden Planet.
    Arrival – I’m still running it through my mind. Genuinely moving.
    Close Encounters – saw it as a very small boy in the pictures. Still a brilliant film.
    ET.
    Super 8.
    Planet of the Apes – the original.
    Serenity.
    It came from outer space.
    Contact.
    Apollo 13 – science fact but worthy of inclusion.
    The Right Stuff – again not fiction but compelling. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another few from me:

The Maze Runner – theres two in the series so far, the third is due out next year sometime..theyre a bit teenagery but fine..
    Trancendance with Jonny Depp in, thats pretty good too if you don’t know the storyline.

MartynS

Live, die, repeat
    Ex machina
    Martian
    Divergent trilogy (bit teen, but enjoyed!)
    Moon
    oblivion

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kato – Member
    Gattaca. One of my favourites

A very, very underrated film. Well worth going back to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What about this? Its been spruced up to mark it’s 40th (yes, 40th) anniversary…

mikey74
    Free Member

True story: That film is where Iron Maiden took their logo font from. They appear to have altered it a little there, though.

People have mentioned Silent Running: Personally, I thought it was poo.

I’d +1 Gattaca

One from lef-tfield: Pandorum. Yes, it’s highly derivative, but it’s an interesting yarn and is worth a watch IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an epic sci-fi film?’ is closed to new replies.