Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Recommend me an Enduro/Off road Motorbike for Green lane winter fun
  • Tiger6791

TandemJeremy – Member

legal vehicles driven responsibly cause little issue. Its the illegal ones that cause problems.

The man speaks sense, some of these guys repair lanes, cut back hedges and keep the access open. They bumble along at 5mph and enjoy it and I think they are the majority. They realise just as we MTB lot should that being anti social only gets you bad press and ultimately banned by the all powerfull bobble hats.

Unfortunately a small few will ruin it for everybody and they are the ones who people remember and therefore a harmless bunch enjoying a day out get stigmatised.

Ramblers don’t like us either you know.

Therefore Live and Let live doesn’t mean be tolerant of antisocial behaviour but rather don’t stigmatise an entire group of people who arn’t that dissimilar to us.

There’s a shed load of countryside out there, I’ve ridden for whole days and seen nobody. Lets not be too quick to get rid of people who don’t share our hobby because we don’t like it when it happens to us.

What if you can’t walk or cycle or ride a horse? Should you never be allowed off tarmac?

What was it Martin Niemöller said…..

austen

Get a copy of TBM (trail bike magazine) and maybe look at enduronews.com. As an alternative to KTM etc TBM had a couple of low(er) powered (and cheap) spanish bikes from Rieju and AJP in the last couple of months, they sound ideal for trail riding although build quality may leave something to be desired.

I think it depends on whether you are ever going to take it racing, I’m still learning to ride my 250F and can’t imagine needing more power or suspension any time soon, even when racing on a closed course.

Tiger6791

In fact here we go

First the Bobble Hats Red Socks brigade came… (see what I did there)
    First they came for the Trial bikers, and I did not speak out —
    because I was not a Trial biker;
    Then they came for the 4×4 lot, and I did not speak out —
    because I was not a 4×4 driver;
    Then they came for the Horse riders, and I did not speak out —
    because I was not a Horse rider;
    Then they came for Mountain Bikers—
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

(and yes we have moved into Godwin’s law, sort of)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well put Tiger. There’s an awful lot of NIMBYs on here, sadly, with fully functioning blinkers. 🙁

antigee

It spoils yours. It doesn’t spoil most peoples’

are you sure? who is being blinkered here?

from the peak park document that explains their policy on off roading – of course they might have just rung a couple of blinkered NIMBYS and used that as a basis for opinion

The noise intrusion affects other users’ enjoyment of the National Park. The physical impact of the vehicles can damage wildlife, habitats and valued cultural heritage features. Motorbikes however often have equal rights of access and the challenge is to accommodate legal use without damaging the special qualities of the National Park, or other people’s enjoyment of of the special qualities

personally i think the MTB’s next argument is only valid if those that ride MTB choose to align with offroaders – need to align with walkers as the non motorised users who enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside and look for obtaining equal rights under CROW

with the non – motorised being the decider – I’m sure plenty of landowners that have land open under CROW would say allow MTB’s then what will we get next

Mintyjim

Tiger, that was perfect! A great end to the thread in my opinion.

Austen, cheers for the recommendation, I will definitely take a look at those cheaper, quieter options

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The noise intrusion affects other users’ enjoyment of the National Park. The physical impact of the vehicles can damage wildlife, habitats and valued cultural heritage features. Motorbikes however often have equal rights of access and the challenge is to accommodate legal use without damaging the special qualities of the National Park, or other people’s enjoyment of of the special qualities

And what came first? The green lane or the national park?
    🙄

Tiger6791

Those Jets that fly over when I’m cycling around Wales are quite noisey aswell

Ban Them!!!!!

austen

Can’t wait for future versions of the electric KTM’s. Powered access to the countryside without the noise that everyone seems to hate so much = happiness for all (most?).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some people are never happy.

oldnick

If you are concerned about the noise stick to a 2-stroke, the noise is higher pitched and doesn’t travel nearly as far. Don’t believe me? Speak to any MX track owner about noise…
    BTW the bikes out there riding the green lanes are enduro/trail bikes not motoX bikes.

Tiger6791

Where will these new fangled electric mountain bikes sit in all this?

Are they okay?

TN
    Free Member

I am not allowed to join in this argument – I did once, on a different forum, and I was called all sorts of names because I happened to express an opinion that didn’t fit with the opinion of certain others.
    Apparently it’s okay to climb on ‘banned’ crags or ride your bike on a ‘cheeky’ footpaths but it isn’t okay to ride a road legal motorbike responsibly on a legal right of way (or god forbid join a group who help maintain/repair trails).
    This argument brings out the worst in people who do not see that there are bad apples in every outdoor pursuit, people who break the rules,are inconsiderate to others, mess it up for everyone else – people who always take and never give anything back. What about live and let live eh? What about trying to educate the minority?

PS: my friend is a screamer – when she’s riding her mtb down something scary she does tend to scream a bit. Should she be hung drawn and quartered for spoiling peoples right to quiet enjoyment of the outdoors? (I have found in fact that most walkers just laugh at her and then say ‘well at least we could hear her’ as I pass by afterwards, shaking my head…)

PPS: the opinions expressed here are those of the author and no one else.

antigee

Can’t wait for future versions of the electric KTM’s. Powered access to the countryside without the noise

unfortunately think that more powered bikes albeit quite electric ones will re enforce the position of anti mountain biking walkers and landowners

What about live and let live eh? What about trying to educate the minority?

this live and let live thing sure has me confused – aren’t these opposite arguments?

grim168
    Free Member

Just buy your trail bike and get on with it while this lot debate the issue. I recomend and have a drz400. You can’t please everyone so sod ’em. Keep it quiet and legal and have fun.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Back OT, I’d go with a ’96 on Honda XR250R, leccy start kit if you must. Lightweight (unlike the DR350, very important when you just binned it in the sticky UK mud), super reliable, no fuss 4-stroke.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Mind you, I can’t leave without mentioning that it beggars belief that a pastime that often suffers due to the intolerance of others, could have supporters who stoop to the same low levels of narrow minded intolerance themselves. Incomprehensible.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a shed load of countryside out there, I’ve ridden for whole days and seen nobody

You’re lucky. Not everyone has access to that.

Personally I don’t care what other people as long as it doesn’t bugger the trails for everyone else. I suspect that’s the real problem people have. As for ‘riding around’ it, that’s just not always possible. Sometimes it’s thick undergrowth all around except for a narrow trail that’s been trashed.

So many straw men on here it’s ridiculous. It’s like you WANT to have an argument, so you choose the most extreme interpretation of everyone’s arguments.

IainGillam
    Free Member

If you’re thinking of buying a new 2 stroke (as mentioned above much more pleasing to other users ears despite equal decibel levels) take a look at TM. They do a couple test days where you can try before you buy and watch some of their pros show you how it should be done. Plus with the price hike of Japanese bikes, and the fact most of them no longer make two strokes, TM’s are no longer more expensive and the come with a bundle of goodies stock.

Iain

Filthy
    Free Member

my god there is some whinging twits on here. I see the fun police are out in force.

back to the original question…

KTM ftw

Tiger6791

You’re lucky. Not everyone has access to that.

Personally I don’t care what other people as long as it doesn’t bugger the trails for everyone else. I suspect that’s the real problem people have. As for ‘riding around’ it, that’s just not always possible. Sometimes it’s thick undergrowth all around except for a narrow trail that’s been trashed.

So many straw men on here it’s ridiculous. It’s like you WANT to have an argument, so you choose the most extreme interpretation of everyone’s arguments.

What’s stopping you getting at it? No trains, no time? You live in Wales FFS bit short of countryside is it?

I’m not out for an argument at all, just a realistic view on use of our open spaces.

Green lanes are very few and far between and should be very easy to avoid if you don’t like the motorised vehicles that use them.

I’m just not out for a witch hunt, ban them ‘cos they are different and spoil my enjoyment and all that. I just think they are pretty retricted as it is so you should be able to avoid ’em.

It’s a bit like saying.

“Well I tried to cycle across a ploughed field and it was all muddy and rutted up and there was a tractor making noise, ban farmers! ban tractors!”

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s stopping you getting at it? No trains, no time?

Well if you live in London, you’ve got a good few hours drive to get to these places you can ride all day and not see anyone.

What do you mean specifically by green lanes anyway? There are old roads near me that see motorbikes and get churned up in the process – but I dunno if they qualify for green lane status.

cinnamon_girl

Wot DezB says.

I shall refrain from having a rantette.

cinnamon_girl

+1

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So it is said again – ride on bridleways and avoid the very few green lanes that remain then. It really is that simple.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Stick to the point1 2 pages of junk. anyway.
    Get a 4 stroke unless you want to prat about with oils. get something quiet if you are in an official capacity. Don’t go too big. 525 KTMs are really penis substitutes for many. Mostly ex road riders who soon swap for something smaller. Seriously look at CRF230’s. Mine did 80mph trail riding. Maybe the DRZ but a CCM 404 is the same engine with much better handling et. Consider that South Wales has a rep for theived kit. Just check the bikes history. (sorry to sound judgemental but thats where lots of bikes round here (FoD)end up. An enduro bike will have better suspension and more power but to ou need that. They will be fussier and more exspensive to run. How tall are you? Short arses need Alps or 230’s. don’t buy any small CCm except the 230. They are complete shite and this come from some one who has sold them and loves his CCM’s Get a 604 if you want a monster. Get a Gasgas Pampera if you want the best hill climber ever but be prepared to fettle it. Where are you? If you are near the border come along to our m/c club meeting. 1st and 3rd Monday. Look at www,wgdfmcc.org.uk for details. matt, club sec.

neilforrow

here is a guy doing a spot of super slow green lanin’ for you all…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3JXKqfX1Bw

alwyn
    Free Member

I swear by my husky. Awesome bikes, they are all you want for a green laner. The 250 2ts have some beans and the 4ts are very nice to ride. They have decent spec and parts aren’t as bad to get hold of as people make out. Husky sport are the importers and are really great guys.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an Enduro/Off road Motorbike for Green lane winter fun’ is closed to new replies.