• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by xcgb.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • recommend me an audiobook
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Driving to the alps tomorrow night. I’m a big fan of audiobooks for helping me to stay awake and concentrate, and to help the hours pass on a long drive.

Have enjoyed the ‘no. 1 ladies detective agency’ books, and just listened to all of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy books.

also went through a spate of listening to free versions of old classics (like jane austen books) from librivox.

Anyone got any recommendations for me? Preferrably iTunes’able, since I don’t have time to go out to proper shops, or wait for deliveries.

Dave

franksinatra

I quite enjoyed Dom Jolly’s book about dark tourism. He goes skiing and out on the piss in Iran, sightseeing in North Korea etc. Can’t remeber the name of it but easily googled.

I got it for free by signing up to Audible.

tinsy
    Free Member

Librovox, nearly put me off audio books…

You going to listen on an I pod?

Try Scott Sigler, The Rookie, its first of a trilogy of inter galactic “American Football” type stuff but dont let that put you off, quite entertaining and free to download from I tunes in podcast format, only downside is the long intro’s to each podcast. Sigler has loads of free audiobooks.

Other good ones are:-

Joe Cottonwood, “A Clear Heart”, “Boone Barnaby” & Famous Potatoes.

JC Hutchins, 7th Son is good too.

I enjoyed all the Harry Potter books (films were poor in comparison) read by Stephen Fry.

IHN

Narrated by the great man himself. I keep meaning to download it

philconsequence
    Free Member

I Partridge

read by Alan PArtridge.

personally think its funnier than reading the book as its read in character.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ok, beaten by 6 seconds.

IHN

Back of the net! 🙂

z1ppy

I am legend (the film is only very very loosely based on it) & World War Z instantly come to mind, great books that you can’t stop listening to. I’ve kinda given up on books for audiobook of late & those two are always my first recommendations. Thoroughly enjoyed most of the John le Carré Smiley series too.

Another +1 the Harry Potter books read by Mr. Fry were very entertaining due to his story telling abilities

Cougar

Have enjoyed the ‘no. 1 ladies detective agency’ books, and just listened to all of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy books.

Sounds like you need Dirk Gently to me.

alfabus
    Free Member

Librovox, nearly put me off audio books…

I found they were ok as long as you were very selective. I’d only listen to ‘solo projects’, where every chapter was read by the same person – otherwise I just couldn’t follow the story.

Think I’ll check out I,Partridge and some of the others.

Keep them coming 🙂

Cheers,
    Dave

Mikkel
    Free Member

We got a few different Adrian Mole as audio books, the grown up ones and find them really good.

z1ppy

“this is a libervox recording” seemingly every 2 minutes tends to get a tad annoying after a while, though I did find some Harry Harrison free from them.

TBH I’ve gone through all my favorite authors, lots of sci-fi, abut that due to my tendency to skim through book & so enjoy re-read or listening (in this case) to pick up the fine details I’ve missed.
    Also been surprised by some of the old classic sci-fi like “journey to the centre of the earth” & “the invisible man”

RV
    Free Member

I drove to Milan the other month and listened to the autobiography of James Cordon and then Chris Evans from Nice on the way back. Didn’t think it would be my cup of tea but they were quite interesting and kept my attention the whole way, only disturbed by toll booth’s and border crossings.
    Last month I drove to Chatel through the night and listened to Mikey Walsh, Gypsy Boy, which was a good story though a little dark and very eye opening. Couldn’t do it all in one run as some of the lads were starting to get a bit depressed, so as the sun came up in Switzerland it was time to listen to some up beat music. On the way home they were all looking forward to the conclusion.
    Driving down to Les Arcs in two weeks time so looking for some more inspiration.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get a kindle, then have it read any book to you. With the right book, it could be very amusing, since it sounds like Stephen Hawking.

Perhaps something very smutty. Or maybe Trainspotting.

xcgb
    Free Member

Partridge +1
    proper tears of laughter from me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘recommend me an audiobook’ is closed to new replies.