Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me an AM bike, or why not this meta
  • weeksy

After an awesome day in the alps I realised how great downhill/AM is and why I’ve missed it. So I’m going to get an AM bike for wales, yes I know I can ride everything on a Boris bike, but I don’t want to. At my level, more bounce helps.

http://www.fishfacecycles.com/ourshop/prod_4222701-Commencal-Meta-AM-V3-Origin-650b-2016-Mountain-Bike.html

I’m struggling to see a downside to this Meta really. Its got everything I need. I was riding a pivot mach 6 which seems very similar and I thought at a budget the Meta works well?

£2k budget for this.

Scamper
    Free Member

I have the 26 version. I get the impression they are not quite as low, long or slack as the most recent enduro bikes. The frames are tank like and built to last and burlier and stiffer than the V4 meta – over 8lb for the frameset. The only potential issue was the rear fox shock and difficulty in replacing it with something piggy back or coil due to the location. Mine never really blew through its travel, but felt like it couldn’t always keep up with the frame at its limits. I’ve read rock shock or X fusion efforts are better. Fell out of love with mine for a bit until I realised it was probebly as the main pivot bearings had siezed up. Finally, someone has Posted a video on line and a bearing change looks pretty simple and cheap so will build mine up again.

Not sure what deals are left on the manufacturer web site, but their customer service in my experience was either great or non existent.

Mine with Lyriks, flows, zee brakes, reverb and 2×9 was coming in at around 33lb!

weeksy

I’ve had lots of commencals, super 4, old meta, new meta am29 so I know and like them, no worries on that side.

I had good service from Fishfacecycles last time I bought a meta so happy to use again.

Weight, I don’t mind, I’m not planning on xc on it, I’ve got a spearfish for that, so its more the harder stuff like bpw.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldtalent
    Free Member

Quite an old design now. Personally for the sake of a few hundred quid I would be getting the v4.

EDIT ive had the 26″ & the 29″ meta also.

EDIT 2: actually I would get the yt capra as a very very quick scan of the specs, it looks better.

weeksy

Any more for thoughts and ideas?

maxtorque

If you’ve got a more normal XC bike for the general trail riding, then “go large” for your other bike! If you’re going to be riding it at BPW/Antur or in the Alps, then might as well be looking for a second hand D/H bike imo!

maxtorque

ETA: £2k for a long travel AM bike will mean, unless you find something in the sales, which you can at this time of year or in the next couple of months, having fairly average components and a heavy frame. IME, the really good long travel AM stuff starts at more like £2.5k and preferably £3k……

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Giant Reign 2? 1700 odd at winstanleys. I love mine. Leaves some cash for an upgrade or two.

weeksy

I don’t think a full on DH bike at my level of skills would really be the best bet. I’d still like to use it in afan too for example

jambalaya
    Free Member

Reign is AM – was my Wales / Alps bike till I put the bits on a Covert frame, still using the 2006 forks !

Nukeproof Mega ?
    Lapierre Spicey ?
    Cube Sterio ?

BTW go to Wales for uplifts, for pedalling up I preferred Surrey Hills which had benefit of being on my dorrstep (not as big vertical and not “sign posted” but plenty on here to show you around or shop rides etc). Also Peak district similar drive to Wales fyi.

weeksy

Spicy I like. Not sure why but the mega doesn’t do much for me. Stereo a good call.

If any of them I’m likely to buy used instead of new.

Believe it or not, I’ve never been to surrey hills, despite being a swinley regular.

maxtorque

Spicy is actually quite steep and short by current stds!

nosedive
    Free Member

The new entry level whyte g160 is going to be £2400, thats a much more modern bike for an extra bit of cash. 150mm travel rear though so might not be enough if its a pure ‘park bike’

weeksy

There’s always the, bit more cash debate isn’t there. Lol

How about we swing it differently then and try with

Second hand AM bike £1200 Max.

russyh
    Free Member

YT Capra has to be the bike doesn’t it? Works Out to be about £2k delivered. Yep it has been cheaper in the past but that’s still exceptional value

https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/541/sCategory/92

weeksy

I’ve arranged a demo on a bird Aeris to see how they ride before I jump on anything used. Although there’s a lot of nice used bikes available

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bird Aeris certainly very well liked on here

IMHO 150 vs 160 on the back won’t make much difference to you as I believe you are aiming for primarily wheels on the ground with the odd “pop”. Certainly on braking bump infested bike park trails more is good but its not essential by any means. A bit more upfront helps with bigger alpine roots, ruts, drops, skills compensation but again at the sort of speeds you and I are riding 150 upfront is ok, again imho

S/H is a great idea for a bike which won’t get that much use, sadly my Covert gets ridden 10-30 days (max) a year. It’s one reason my 2006 forks are far from worn out

chakaping
    Free Member

Quite a varied list.

I’d go for an AM/enduro bike from the last few years with modern geometry. I’ve emailed you about something that may be of interest.

weeksy

Still debating…. sat on an Aeris last night and liked lots… but then it’s £500-1000 more than a decent used bike…

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I cannot fault my Rallon X10, really good fun ride. This is the X30 version, so may suit budget.
    https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/rallon-x30

I got mine from the guys at Bikeactive, really good deal, plus a pair of Burgtec pedals.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an AM bike, or why not this meta’ is closed to new replies.