Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me an all-round back pack suitable for commuting, mtb and hill walking
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Dakine Drafter for mtb rides and also a couple of older Deuter ruck sacs.

Currently commuting using a rather tired Alpkit Gourdon 25 and was looking to replace this with something that would also suit hill walking/mountain scrambling.

In Evans today, I was looking at both this Osprey Escapist 25

And also this Vaude Bike Alpine 25

But was a bit concerned that the waist straps on both look a bit spindly for hill walking. Also the Vaude doesn’t look like I could cram my work laptop into it, if I have to take it home in an emergency.

For the commute, I just need to carry change of clothes and puncture/tool kit.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

bazwadah
    Free Member

I have been using an osprey quasar 30 litre for the last year, its supposed to be a commuting/daypack but I have used if for walking and biking too. I have used it everyday and so far has only lost some graphics on the straps. It takes a 15″ laptop but I have also fitted a hydration pack (its not designed for this but the hose fits through the MP3 cable hole). My last pack was used everyday for 10 years so I wanted one that would last as long, so far its looking good. £50 in most places.
    Edit: just re read your comment on the straps, the quasars straps are even more slimline (dont have the pockets near the back section). They have been secure on the bike and walking but might be a problem for scrambling

BadlyWiredDog

Ive got an Escapist 20, I think, and it’s fine for hill-walking and a nice, all-round pack. You don’t really need a weight-transferring hip-belt on a day pack, the sort of load you’ll be carrying means it’s pretty much pointless.

If you want a nice, light, all-round mountain pack, have a look at the Montane Medusa 32 or maybe the Cobra 25, but neither are as bike friendly as the Escapist.

For scrambling you just want something with a slim profile that stays in place while you’re moving, not that different to mountain biking in a way. You just don’t want it to be swaying about.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Omm classic 25. Perfect for everything.

doug_basqueMTB.com

The Escapist is the comfiest pack I´ve used. The shoulder straps are really padded and even with a lot of weight it feels good. I wrote this review for it on my site ,Osprey Escapist 25

They do a 30 as well don´t they. The 25 is more than enough for my mountain of guiding equipment.

ktmblag
    Free Member

I’ve got a montane cobra 25 and a Medusa 32..excellent lightweight packs that have some great attention to detail

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have had hundreds of bags and nothing has kept my things as dry as the gourdon, which when carrying laptops and stuff is a pretty high priority. It also makes an excellent day pack for hill walking and slightly more… I don’t like bags with extra crap all over them to snag when cragging..

Thick waste straps aren’t important on small packs.

RustySpanner

Gourdon for everything, pretty much.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Blue ice warthog 25l. Amazing kit

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The Gourdon has been good for 4 years but I find the lack of pockets a pain when trying to find keys, swipe cards, wallets etc.

I’ve taken to using a reflective Respro ‘Hump’ rucksac cover which will keep the water off, if I chose something different this time.

I like wider straps not necessarily for the load bearing but because they don’t dig in so much if you want to tighten them down and feel more stable.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

when i saw the thread title i thought the osprey escapist 25 would be an ideal pack.

used mine for a 7 day teahouse to teahouse trip in nepal and it performed really well. its also comfortable for walking, has decent pockets in decent places, a decent pad for the back and a rain cover.

recommended!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And how does the Escapist justify an extra £20 – £30 over the Quasar?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

better padding at the rear (less sweaty), better shoulder straps (less sweaty), lighter, better organised inside (got a zipable sheet of material to separate main compartment into 2), rain cover, better zips

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

better waist strap too (esp for walking)
    think its lighter too

doug_basqueMTB.com

I´ve not tried the Quasar but the Osprey pack quality is really amazing. It constantly surprises me how much thought has gone into the little details. I used one all last year, throwing it into the back of the van with the bikes and stuffing it full of other people´s stuff and last week I washed it for the first time and it´s like new. OK the colour´s a bit off due to the amount of oil it´s been coated in but apart from that!

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

OMM AR 32L classic there’s a 25L version too

bullroar
    Free Member

Another vote for Osprey Escapist 25, I reckon it rather generously sized which is a good thing. It is remarkably comfortable and “out of the way” when riding and can easily take enough stuff for a day riding or walking off the beaten track.

Compartments are well sized (including the top phone/camera) and easily accessible including the little zip pockets on belt/straps for on the go nibbles. The “Lid Lock” is a bonus and even with cold/wet/gloved hands is simple to use.

Customer service is pretty good too. I broke one of the zip pull tags the first time I used it, mailed Osprey and they send a pack of 5 new ones by post straightaway.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve got a Deuter Trans Alpine 30

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/bike/trans-alpine-30/

You can fit a lot in there and it’s been sturdy enough to carry all sorts of stuff when I was doing MTB leadership training stuff

dodd4721
    Free Member

Re. biking and waliking; Lowe Alpine Edge XL 22ltr, cheap [got mine v.cheap on Ebay] comfy, nice size, large mesh side pockets, Hydration system sleeve, Helmet carrier loops, Ice Axe/Ski Pole loop. Job done.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an all-round back pack suitable for commuting, mtb and hill walking’ is closed to new replies.