Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Recommend me an all day saddle
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Looking for a saddle for trail-centers, singletrack etc.

rider is male/ 100kgs. ( largish ass )

4 – 5 hrs to all day rides

With sperm preserving cut-outs

tymbian
    Free Member

Anyone?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Charge Spoon, and Charge Knife…but that’s for my arse.

The only way to recommend a saddle is to try them yourself.

njee20
    Free Member

Hugely personal. I’ve found both Spesh Phenom SLs and Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbons very comfy.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

SDG Bel-Air

rocketman
    Free Member

After flirting with all manner of exotica from Prologo, Fizik and Selle Italia I bought another Spoon last week (Winstanleys, £20) and it’s better than any of them.

Instantly at home on it and the marbled black cover looks great

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so personal it’s not even worth suggesting anything 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

+1 for the SDB Bel Air

rewski
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi, 12 hour rides with no complaints.

leffeboy

Find an lbs that has saddles you can try – mine has a bunch you can borrow for a week at a time

Or be prepared to have to buy a few. Not a bad thing either if pricey

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi seems to work for me.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

It’s too personal.

I have a few different ones, and I just kinda got used to them all after a few rides.

SDG Bel Air (got a couple) and Charge Spoons (no experience) seem poular, but probably coz they can be had for cheap.

I also have a Scott something or other that came on a Ransom some years ago, and lives on my MTB. And a Cobb Max, and a Ritchey pro race raxzorblade type thing.

Don’t have any problems with any of them, although my rides tend to be 6 hours or less.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Always used Fizk Gobis’ But trying something new on my Vaya- Gone for A San Marco Regal*

*I may live to regret this.. 😳

falkirk-mark

All my bikes have some sort of specialized body geometry saddle,I also weigh about 100kgs

KonaTC

I have no idea what a 100kg is in old money but I find both WTB Pure V & Charge Spoon comfortable for all day riding

tuffty
    Free Member

+1 for charge spoon

wilko1999
    Free Member

Another Charge Spoon user here, wouldn’t even bother trying anything else now I’ve found something that works so well for me.

There is a large auction-based popular website with a seller that has them for £17.48 including delivery brand new. Thats where I bought my last one. Not a huge outlay if you don’t like it either and they seem to sell very quickly second-hand

Rorschach
    Free Member

+2 bel air

weeksy

i can’t own a Spoon for more than a month without it creaking like an old barn door 🙁

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

i can’t own a Spoon for more than a month without it creaking like an old barn door

I had this problem but have a new one and it has been fine.

Tried all sorts of saddles and end up going back to the spoon.

tymbian
    Free Member

I have a spesh ( oem ) one atm which is ‘ arse comfy ‘ but not so comfy underneath on a longer ride.

Duane…
    Free Member

FWIW, the Madison Flux is essentially identical to the Charge Spoon, but cheaper.

boblo
    Free Member

100kg’s= half the weight of the sun 🙂

Sorry, only joshing 😆

SDG Bel Air is the correct answer. (BTW, SDG stands for Speed Defies Gravity for those struggling to get the three letters in the correct order 🙂 )

daznal
    Free Member

Spesh phenom,come in different widths also,take some breaking in but are worth the effort

2POC
    jameso

I think there’s 2 basic types of saddle shape, the flatter side-view, convex type (rolls, regal, gobi; arione-sort of) or the scooped side profile, twin-tail grooved WTB / SDG type (also aliante, spoon, aspide, speshs).

Find your arse-match and go from there based on sit bone width and softness.

I liked the 1205 / spoon-flux Aliante copy, ok for a few hours but not all day, but WTB (Volt, Rocket, Laser) are the only saddles I can ride for really long days or more. I’ve fitted 2 of their saddles to my road bike at different times and ridden >100 miles without any trial runs, no discomfort at all. Conversely, I can’t sit on a Regal or Gobi for more than a few minutes.

batman11
    Free Member

Yep was a sag bel air boy for ages but now I’m an on one big nose fan cheep and strangely comfy and yes I’ve done a few 3/5 hour rides on one 😀

proberts
    Free Member

I use a SDG bel air but its taken me ages and lots of saddles to get one I’m happy with. I’d buy second-hand them if it isn’t right you can shift it for similar money you paid for it

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Spoon for sure.

You can pay a premium to get a custom version too

Sam

I think there’s 2 basic types of saddle shape, the flatter side-view, convex type (rolls, regal, gobi; arione-sort of) or the scooped side profile, twin-tail grooved WTB / SDG type (also aliante, spoon, aspide, speshs).

Conversely I find the main difference to be between the longitudinal curve of the saddle. I tend to prefer ‘flat’ saddles when viewed side on, like an arione or san marco zoncolan, rather than dipped saddles like a Gobi. Though this all goes out the window with a Brooks, which I find very comfy, though they do have a dip. Just goes to reinforce how personal saddles are. There’s really no substitute for trying many (and playing with angle and position) before finding your ideal.

tomhoward

DGS bel air + lots (for boblo’s benefit 😉 )

joat

My new DFS leather two seater is proving very comfy. Sorry 😳

fandango
    Free Member

very individual. FWIW, I very much like the saddles from WTB: Devo and Silverado. Also had a Rocket V in years gone by. Certainly worth a look. Some have trial saddles to try-before-you-buy.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    Always used Fizk Gobis’ But trying something new on my Vaya- Gone for A San Marco Regal*

*I may live to regret this..

You won’t regret it too much because I’ll happily relieve you of it.

jezandu
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi gave no problems during 24hour solo race. No saddles sores from it. Now trying a Charge spoon and think it just as good.

edhornby

I have a Ragley saddle on my fixed gear and I’m about to get some more, super cheap on CRC at the moment – most importantly it doesn’t have the stitching on the top like a spoon so your shorts don’t get wrecked

stimpy
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi and Charge Spoons here. The Gobi took me on the London to Paris offroad ride with no problems.

shortcut

SDG Bel Air’s make my gentlemans sausage hurt. So I ride with a Specialized Henge, a WTB Silverado, a Specialized Toupe and a WTB Pure V. All fine for me.

podman
    Free Member

Tried a Charge Knife recently, but we don’t get on at all. I’m personally a fan of the selle slr, I’ve got an old 135g version and it’s great- I find the heavier versions with more padding less confortable for long times in the saddle, wish I knew of a cheaper equivalent because £100+ on a saddle hurts nearly as much as that knife I tried sitting on for a couple of rides!

Northwind

Knives for me but I’ve had other people get on my bikes and instantly hate them. Same old thing- fit is better than padding but if it doesn’t fit then padding is better than no padding 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an all day saddle’ is closed to new replies.