Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me an air show
  • MadBillMcMad

Please recommend me an air show.

Not been to one since I was a nipper but the boys fancy one.

We are Manchester based so a northerly one would be good but I do remember enjoying Biggin Hill – we are talking 30+ years ago.

freddyg
    Free Member

The one at RAF Waddington is pretty good.

We’ve been a number of times and the whole family love it – especially MrsG.

jonnyrobertson

Moss Side and Miles Platting hold regular air shows. Not much in the way of “fast jets” or dislpay teams, normally just a chopper but it is free. Chelmsley Wood in Birmingham holds an identical one most evenings as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TooTall
    Free Member

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow

Usually the biggest with the most military aircraft.

restless
    Free Member

only been to Waddington, but it was very good

crazy-legs

Windermere has an air show every July which is free, that usually has the Red Arrows and 2 years ago it had the Vulcan as well which was the first time I’d seen it back in the air. Incredible sight.

I went to Leuchars that same year as well (September time I think?), it was a stunning day, really hot. Loads going on there including the Vulcan – second time that year I’d seen it and just as good…

Try and get to one with the Vulcan and/or the Battle of Britain flight. It makes the day a lot more worthwhile.

anjs
    Free Member

not much to see from the RAF these days

toys19
    Free Member

I’ll bet all those are good, but Dawlish air show is free and on the beach.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Southport in September. On the beach but not free

MadBillMcMad

thx for the ideas guys.

Will start planning – Windermere sounds nice – planes & countryside all at the same time.

Reminds of me seeing an anniversary of the Dambusters in the Peak District with fly pasts from Tornados, vulcan and a Lancaster. We were on one of the hills above the res and actually looked down on the Vulcan – awesome.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

RIAT is the best/biggest military one in Europe.

ddmonkey

Duxford good if you do want to travel south, I think the days with just the classic warbirds are great. No jets bursting your eardrums! Plus lots to see inside if the weather not so hot. 🙂

snaps
    Free Member

Farnborough was always the biggy when I worked in the trade in the 90’s
    Not very northern but you could make a weekend of it with a day in cockney town or one of the themeparks nearby.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I used to go past Duxford on my way to one of our factories. I stopped off once on my way back, paid to go in & had a good look round the whole thing, came outside & caught a glint of light in the sky to the east.

It turned into a Spitfire clearly practicing a display, just for me 🙂

There’s something about the sound of a RR Merlin…

meanwhile, here’s a pic I took at Southport a couple of years ago:

skinnysteel
    Free Member

+ 1 for the Duxford Flying Legends show. Usually early July.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an air show’ is closed to new replies.