Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me an air compressor for inflating tubeless…
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hiya folks,

Between me and the wife we’ve got 4 bikes now and all are running tubeles. At this point I’m thinking for ease of swapping tyres etc I’m going to get a compressor as occasionally going mental with a track pump doesn’t work easily…

Can anyone recommend one that delivers a decent amount quick enough for this job and doesn’t cost the earth?

Also, will I need some sort of adaptor to fit it to presta valves?

Any advice much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

dblspeed
    Free Member

search for the ghetto tubeless inflator thread, I found it to seat tubeless tires faster than a compressor, easier to carry around too!

Twin
    Free Member

The ghetto inflator is brilliant. Cost about 20p to make too.

chilled76
    Free Member

So can anyone recommend one then? Loads of people have sworn by them on here in the past?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bostich 10 litre on screwfix for 79 quid is where my money would go if just for tires.

zerocool

Axminster one here. Can’t remember the model though

sok

Use an old water fire extinguisher with a refill valve. Pump up with track pump. Works a treat.

onewheelgood

Dunno what mine is, can’t actually see a brand name on it, but I have found the Prestaflator from NextDayTyres pretty useful.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

2 litre lemonande bottle, a couple of valves and some flexible hose. And the track pump.

Pump bottle up to about 90 Psi. 2 litres, at that pressure, is enough to blow your tyre up to about 40 PSi in an instant.

Whoosh!

(that said, a compressor and accumulator would be easier….)

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m lucky that I already had a largish compressor (150 litre reservoir) which I got for car painting. I’ve really needed it for some tyres that are particularly stubborn at seating again the rim. This size of reservoir means it can give out 100psi for many minutes.

It depends what your tubeless wheels are like – if you find all the tyres pop in place fairly easily, you probably don’t need a large volume of air.

Personally, I don’t think you’d regret buying a proper air compressor – by that I mean something with a reservoir of at least 50 litres.

Bear in mind, these items are quite noisy – and you’ll have to spend a lot of money to get a quiet one (it would need to be belt driven at least). In case you don’t know, compressors with a reservoir (large cylindrical tank) are only noisy when filling up the reservoir – once the desired pressure is reached, they cut out automatically. You can then turn the power off and it doesn’t make any noise while you use the air up – the really cheap bench-top compressors you see don’t have a reservoir, so need to make a racket all the time while giving out air.

Look on eBay – something like the following would be pretty good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIP-06292-230v-Airmate-25ltr-Hurricane-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-WORKING-5984-/261381241878?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item3cdb893c16

It will be noisy (it’ll probably wake your neighbours at midnight). But at least with that size of reservoir you’ll have enough to seat all your tyres.

You’ll also need a tyre inflator like this:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-30d-airline-tyre-inflator-with-pressure

My NoFlats rim strips came with nice Presta to Schraeder valve adaptors with a built in o-ring at one end. They work perfectly and don’t leak at all.

So if you do go down this route, don’t forget you’ll then be able to get a paint gun and try your hand at spraying.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an air compressor for inflating tubeless…’ is closed to new replies.