Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me an action cam please
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Around the £200 mark new or used
    I don’t mind as I really don’t know what’s good or not . Thanks.

Kamakazie

GoPro are still the best by all accounts.
    I’m not sure which are within that budget at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go pro, simple easy and solid. Been using mine all week in all conditions in nz. For biking the chest mount is still great.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at those compared to the Sony as100v and the newish tomtom. I’m stuck between those three so far.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

The new go pro session looks like a bit of a winner. Smaller, lighter and no need for a case. The main downside being you can’t Chang the battery when out if it goes flat, but I think they do up to 1 hour 45 depending on rcoding resolution. Around £150 iirc

pnik

I got a refurb 3+ for 200 off ebay a couple of months ago, no problems with it still has warrenty and as above still think gopro has the edge, chest mount is great as is the avaibility of accessories both official and 3d printed. I went for it over the session mainly because of the replaceable battery option, small and light enough.

fd3chris
    Free Member

is it important to get a screen to help with the positioning of it ?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

is it important to get a screen to help with the positioning of it ?

a lot of the go pro ones will sync up with your phone wirelessly via their app so you can use your phone as a monitor to help with camera positioning, view recorder footage etc

tall_martin

I bought a sony action cam mini off the back of this test in mtbr. They attached a bunch of cameras to the same helmet.

linky

I went for the sony as it has a remote and I thought better shake reduction. A year on the only thing I don’t like about it is you can’t change from photo to video on the camera itself, you need a remote to do it. Other than that its great.

A mate bought a go pro and footage of similar things is similar.

This video is mostly from the sony and part from the gopro (not sure which one). If its on the side of a head is sony and on top go pro.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxNpokVnEI0[/video]

By the time its on you tube, there is very little difference.

Any of the go pros will be fine, any of the sonys will be fine. Probably almost any at £200 will be fine. Its more about what you are filming than the camera.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

austy
    Free Member

Just throw another in the mix got a contour roam 2 records at 60fps at 720p resolution and my friends says it looks really good.
    Only down side is you have to purchase the mounts extra.

gonzy
    Free Member

i bought the GoPro Session a couple of weeks ago. its been brilliant so far…really simple to use and the picture quality is fantastic.
    you just use the GoPro app on your phone to wirelessly connect and get the position correct and you’re good to go.
    got a friend who also has the same camera and he also has the Hero4 and he recommended the Session. he prefers to use the Session over the Hero4.
    as for the battery although its non removable one it lasts around 2 hours and on a 64Gb memory card should get you about 2 hours worth of footage.
    my mate reckons even with the Hero4 and its changeable batteries you’d need to carry a few spare batteries to get the same 3 hours worth of use out of it
    its waterproof too.
    it cost me £160 off Amazon. GoPro sell it for the same price off their website with free UK delivery but they charge you an extra £40 for a 64Gb card but on Amazon you can get the camera and card as a bundle for £180

leonthepro
    Free Member

Check out the isaw edge. Fits your budget and almost identical to gopro in design so all the mounts fit plus the footage is very good.

geoffj

Don’t discount the Garmin Virbs. No need for an external case and built in telemetry. Not quite as cheap as the Session, but a bigger sensor.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Whichever GoPro fits your budget

bigbloke
    Free Member

What are the garmin virb cameras like from sportspursuit at £80?. First gen I think?

MtbRoutes

Check out the Gitpro Git2. Gyro-image stablisation and audio input (along with a great picture up to 2K) sets it apart from most cheapies. Fits GoPro accessories. £105 on Amazon or less if you want to risk it with a Chinese retailer. I just got one and it seems great so far.

geoffj

What are the garmin virb cameras like from sportspursuit at £80?. First gen I think?

Pretty good – I had the top end one, I just didn’t get on with the torpedo shape for chest mounting.

100mphplus
    Free Member

GoPro are 2nd to none IMO compared to other high end cameras, I’ve tried a few and always gone back to GoPro and currently use the Hero 4 Session.
    HOWEVER, a new camera has just been released called OLFI which is around £120 and the quality of that footage is up there with the GoPro.

Olfi one.five Action Camera | Official UK Store

geoffj

That Olli looks a bit meh to me, but I prefer my cameras not to need a separate waterproof case.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an action cam please’ is closed to new replies.