Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a XC hardtail, if you so please
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Need a new bike frame because mine is too small.
    Can’t be an On-One (broken a couple of those).
    Can’t be a Cotic (that is the too small one I currently have)

Looking for something for XC use only. No jumps or drops.
    Needs to be big as I’m 6’3″.

All help appreciated.

letmetalktomark

Cotic Solaris*

I moved from a 19” Soul to an XL Solaris (primarily down to fit reasons) as I am the same height as you.

Much roomier and well proportioned too.

* I have an XL frame for sale too!

crispycross
    Free Member

Not fashionable but I really like my Stumpjumper Comp Carbon. Nice to ride, respectably light, decent enough kit if nothing special and it goes fast as long as I keep pedalling hard. (19″ size, I’m 6’0″ and like to be stretched out. The 21″ is about an inch longer.)

mt
    Free Member

Richey P29, feel that history.

st66

I am 6’2″ and ride a 18″ Sanderson Breath (Sanderson), although if I’m honest a 20″ might be a better fit for me. The Life version has 853 tubing.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Forgot to say that it has to take 26″ wheels.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got a decade virsa mk2 and a alloy wanga frame both 19″
    Decade is bnib voodoo is pre loved but great condition.
    Will be for sale in 7 weeks 🙂

wwaswas

Budget?

mangatank
    Free Member
    jairaj

more info needed please.

What kinda style bike are you after? Steep racy angles or a bit slacker. Do you want a compliant frame or super stiff? Do you need it to be super light? Budget?

brassneck

Decade Virsa
    Charge skinny Duster
    Ti456 (was it Ti you broke?)

I’m obviously only recommending bikes I’ve owned and liked 🙂

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29?

scandal42
    Free Member

Just out of interest how did you break a frame doing strictly XC?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Kinesis XCPro3. Or a Pro2 if you can find one.

bellefied
    Free Member

GrumpyDave – Member

Need a new bike frame because mine is too small.
    Can’t be an On-One (broken a couple of those).
    Can’t be a Cotic (that is the too small one I currently have)

Looking for something for XC use only. No jumps or drops.
    Needs to be big as I’m 6’3″.

All help appreciated.
    how have you broken two on ones if you don’t do jumps or drops? 😯

shortcut

At 6’3 wanting an xc hardtail with 26″ wheels seems a little shortsighted. The classic options are the Cotic Soul, On One Whippet, Scott Scale (if they do them in baby wheels nowadays), Orange may have something aside for that there should be plenty in the bargain bins or second hand.

I would suspect you are more likely to get something confidence inspiring, that fits and that you crash a little less often if you go for bigger wheels. If you are prepared to make the brave step then options like the Santa Cruz Highball, Scott Scale, Kinesis FF29, Cotic Solaris etc make a lot of sense.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Sanderson Life with a 100-110mm fork.

jairaj

I would suspect you are more likely to get something confidence inspiring, that fits and that you crash a little less often if you go for bigger wheels.

err not sure I’m with you! I’m not against 29ers. If it works for you then go for the bigger wheels, that’s fine with me.

But to say 29ers are more suitable for taller riders, are more confidence inspiring and will magically cause you to crash less is just rubbish.

Its down to the geometry of the bike whether it fits you or not. Nothing to do with smaller wheels. In fact the smaller wheels have less constraints on the geo so you could possibly argue that you can make a better fitting bike with 26 inch wheels.

Same goes for the confidence inspiring bit. You can quite easily make a very nervous and twitchy 29er and you could just as easily create a very stable 26er bike. Its down to the geometry which is formed from many more factors than just wheel size.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a XC hardtail, if you so please’ is closed to new replies.