Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a winter mtb week: Ciclo Montana or Sierra MTB or…..
  • donncha

Hi Folks,
    I’ve holidays I need to take before the end of the year and if I don’t book something soon I’ll lose them. I can take a week in mid Oct, Nov or Dec. Due to lack of skills & fitness I am looking for some medium level biking. I am not interested in spending all day dropping down downhill black run gnarr or endlessly climbing up gravel alpine summits (because I can’t do either v well). To give you an idea my goldilocks level I’m happy with red or black trail centre singletrack where I’m neither the fastest or the slowest.
    Can anyone compare Ciclo Montana or Sierra MTB? Or offer an alternative? I’ll be travelling on my own and taking my own bike.
    Thanks,
    Donncha.

donncha

Bump for the morning crowd

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t know what he’s got to suit but with a question like that, I’ll start looking towards Doug at basquemtb for the answer.

stumpy01

I’ve been with Ciclo Montana several times & while I’m happy with most of the stuff at UK trail centres, a lot of the stuff while out there is above my comfort level. A lot of it is still within my comfort zone, but I have also spent a lot of time heading down Spanish mountain trails with clenched buttocks uttering expletive after expletive as my skill level gets rapidly overwhelmed by the terrain.
    But, you definitely come back feeling like you’ve learnt a lot & pushed yourself a bit.

Mark will tailor the trails to the ability of your group, but if you are going out on your own then you will perhaps be at the mercy of the other riders that are out there.

I enjoy going out there (not that I have done for several years) but have found it challenging, as I’ve normally been one of the least skilled in the groups.

There will be climbing!

Drop them an e-mail and make some enquiries. They’re a friendly bunch & will be more than happy to try to accommodate you.

Rubber_Buccaneer

you definitely come back feeling like you’ve learnt a lot & pushed yourself a bit

and in my case limping and feeling pretty beaten up 🙂 Loved my week at Ciclo and one day I’m going back to see whether I have improved. I went solo and maybe I was lucky that the two other guests that week were so nice that I never felt too bad about my incompetence.

I’m happy with red or black trail centre singletrack

I’m happy on reds, never tried a black but I’d give it a go with some caution. That part of Spain is steep and rocky so expect some challenges, it’s part of the fun

johni
    Free Member

The terrain is challenging in the Sierra Nevada. Great riding but a real jump in technicality from UK trail centres. I’ve been a lot with switch-backs.com. Mike generally finishes the XC/All mountain stuff in October and heads down to the coast for the DHing option over winter. The van assisted climbing appealed to me as I don’t enjoy spending vast amounts of my holiday climbing.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

dalesjoe – Member

Used them for a week this year on the recommendation of a couple of mates. Absolutely superb. Accommodation is basic in a typical Spanish sort of way but perfect for a cycling holiday with plenty of good, cheap places to eat nearby.

The guiding was excellent with riding to suit all abilities whether you want from the door all day killers or more enduro style uplift days. I came back a much better rider as the guides would do a fair bit to coach you and push your riding on if that’s what you want.

There are a couple of other companies out there who looked to be more DH orientated which isn’t my cup of tea.

Make sure you ask to do the “chain ride”. Proper epic days riding, was like something from Jurassic Park in places. Not one they do too often I’m told but well worth it for something a bit different.

Just be aware that the riding is very different to back home. Much less grip & lots of off camber. Something they do prepare you for though, and get you to adjust your riding to suit. Just don’t be the “trail centre warrior” as a few chaps who joined us part way through our week were…on their arses within 30 mins!

Posted in another thread yesterday. countn´t resist re-posting 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Or try Sierra Nevada cycling with Dave. Can be pretty chilled out if you want. Office his base still had small rural feel and tapas in all the bars for dinner.

julzm
    Free Member

Sierra cycling will find you trails that suit your skill level. One of the times we were there, there was a woman who had never ridden MTB before, she still came out with us but they found her slightly easier stuff to work around. She managed ok.

There was also a roadie out with us one time – he ended up going to hospital with his shin split right down the middle because he just wouldn’t take any feedback from the guides about how to ride.

wool

Ciclo always. Found them to be more than accomadating with the many variations of my so called fitness.

donncha

Just want to say thanks so much for the replies. V useful.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Marin – Member
    Or try Sierra Nevada cycling with Dave. Can be pretty chilled out if you want. Office his base still had small rural feel and tapas in all the bars for dinner.

I guess that is me 8) at bikingandalucia.com, based in Orgiva, Sierra Nevada, Andalucia, southern Spain

Marin
    Free Member

Haha it IS.

hora
    Free Member

Tick but also see my Finale Ligure topic

Potdog
    Free Member

We’ve got lots going on through autumn and winter but it tends to be a bit more uplift assisted long descent type of stuff. Again, it’s all pretty natural terrain so can be a bit of a step up if you’re only into trail centres.
    Lavatrax

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a winter mtb week: Ciclo Montana or Sierra MTB or…..’ is closed to new replies.