Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • recommend me a WiFi extender
  • withersea
    Free Member

And doesn’t cost a fortune. Cheers

dr_death
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Wi-Fi-Repeater/dp/B007SU0BJU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1392499686&sr=8-10&keywords=wifi+extender

Easy enough to set up if you ignore the instructions and read the review on amazon… 22.95

ratherbeintobago

We’ve got a Netgear one, which is alright. Problem with extenders is that there does seem to be a bit more ‘lag’ than without.

What would be much better (if you can do it, and we can’t) is a length of Cat 5e/6 run from the router to the dead spot, and then a wireless access point. Powerline might work as an alternative to this but we’ve not tried it so I can’t comment.

smcicr
    Free Member

I’d actually suggest going for powerline rather than an extender.

Extenders are often at the edge of the WiFi range and generally only put out half of what they take in so not great speed wise. They also require a bit of space and leave a trailing power cable which can be awkward depending on where it needs to go.

Powerline have a WiFi option so you get another WiFi hotspot in your house in a dead spot (and it’s portable) and all you need is a spare plug socket.

Just a thought.

withersea
    Free Member

Cheers for the ideas, I’ll look into these options

bigdean

Search for “wind surfer antenna” a bit cutting and sticking but has extened the wifi signal so i can pick it up in the garage.

There was a vid measuring signal strength with on but cant find it now.

scaredypants

wot smicr said, up there

powerline extender kit from about 40 quid I’d guess (“kit” = needs 2 plugin units, 1 at the router end and the other wherever you want the wifi signal to be)

samuri
    Free Member

I have one of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392502498&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+wireless+extender

It’s been faultless for me, no problems at all and gets us round the issue where the router is in a room that seemingly has a faraday cage round it and is on a different circuit so the powerline adapters don’t work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a WiFi extender’ is closed to new replies.