Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • recommend me a wheel truing stand
  • DT78
    Free Member

Currently have a flexy tacx t3175. Not the best really. Ideally don’t want to stump up mega bucks. What is good value for money and works well?

wwaswas

The on-one ones are quite good – I have the one with the dial gauges and it’s very solid.

[edit] alternatively, I have this surplus to requirements:

sheeps

I’ve used a Park Tools one… Which is ace, although I’ve always been tempted to build a Roger Musson one (Google it)

bigjim

I’ve always been tempted to build a Roger Musson one

Took me longer to make the stand than the bloomin wheels 8)

hatter

Park is the ‘buy it and you’re set’ option, I still lust after a DT Swiss one though.

eshershore
    Free Member

Park, no doubt. Relatively expensive, but not compared to DT Swiss

somafunk

P&K Lie obviously for the STW kudos, I don’t own the stand but i do have a few of their Spoke Wrenches which make building wheels/sorting buckles almost a pleasure

cannondaleking
    Free Member

wwaswas just sent you an email dude if op isn’t interested in your jig I certainly am as not got one of those yet in my collection.

nosedive
    Free Member

Wwaswas – i didnt realise one on does stands. How wide does yours go? Im in the market for a stand but i want to make sure it will take a boost hub + adaptors. And does that lateral dial thing fit against a rim with a tyre on?

Cheers

wwaswas

nosedive, I’ve done fat wheels (170mm) with this one;

I had to move the rightr hand bracket so it was only held on by two of the bolts but it was still solid.

The lateral dial is fine unless the tyres really stick out past the rim – as you can see the bit that sticks out is only so long. I’ve always worried that truing with the tyre on is giving a false result with a tight bead so you could replace the gauge with a pointer if it was too short and it’ll give the same accuracy as a normal stand.

It’s quite pleasing to get a wheel trued so that the rim stickers are the biggest deflection that’s recorded 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

On-One/Planet-X also do one that is a copy of the park stand above rather than the single sided affair wwaswas has. Beware that I had to take it apart and attack it with an angle grinder before I could even fit a 142mm hub in it with park adaptors.

wwaswas
    Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got the park ts2.It’s bloody heavy.

nosedive
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas, think i will get one of those

wwaswas

cool, I’ve found just using the gauges as pointers until the last bit of truing is being done is best – you can ‘see’ where the deflection is more easily as the rim moves towards and away from the end of the gauge tracker thing.

The gauges themsleves are great but it does initially take a while to get your head round what they’re telling you when the needle’s swinging around.

allan23
    Free Member

Something I’ve always been tempted with but could never justify the cost. There is no way I can even convince myself, never mind the other half that I could blow £200 notes on a good Park stand for the occasional wheel straightening and perhaps try a build to see if I have any talent in it. The DT Swiss one would have her calling the doctors to see if I have dementia 🙂

Anyone used this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037LK7OS?refRID=F7D7B4YKEQPJ1SQMQ6NX&ref_=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_3

Also there’s a cheap one on the Rose Bikes website, that does look a little flimsy though.

Still not sure, if I knew that I could spend £50 to £80 and get something that would be a bit more stable than zip ties on the frame, I’d be happy.

andyv
    Free Member

I’ve used the X tools one to good effect. £84 at Chain reaction at the moment.

dmorts

Just a note that the On One Jobsworth Pro Wheel Truing Stand is currently £99. It has been cheaper than this recently, as low as £70 I think. Might be worth hanging on to see what the price does

CraigW
    Free Member

For the On-One stand, use the code PXLIQUID25 for a 25% discount. So £75 for the pro stand. Looks like they are sold out of the cheaper version.

nosedive
    Free Member

Nice one CraigW!

nosedive
    Free Member

Just ordered. Now i just need some rims. And hubs and spokes

epicyclo

A section of the rear of an old frame plus a fork will do the job nicely for peanuts.

Especially one with canti mounts which are handy for bolting a wire feeler to.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Can’t see how the wheel holds into the jobsworth, looks like it is slotted for qr axles. How would it handle bolt through? I guess I could turn up a ‘tip adaptor’.

wwaswas

See the link for the park tool adapters I posted above.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Ah, thought that was for a Park stand. Cheers. Looks like I can get something turned or even printed.

Could be time to upgrade this, which has done me (and many DH racers) proud:

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive got the jobsworth one set up (annoying it got cheaper but hey ho). Gravity slave feel free to come and have a look at it if you are thinking of purchasing. Its nice and solid and should be easy to get the accuracy good. Bit fiddly to get around to do a quick true with a tyre on but i can live with that

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Hey, that would be cool, ta.
    No email in your profile, can you drop me one and sort something out? You still up the hill from us?

nosedive
    Free Member

Yes pal, still up the hill. Will mail you (i assume the ‘-‘ in your mail in your profile need to come out?)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a wheel truing stand’ is closed to new replies.