Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a wheel builder…
  • oxym0r0n

In the SW preferably (Taunton type area)

I want to get my Hope SS hub rebuilt onto a Crest rim – so someone used to working with Stans and 29ers would prob be preferable.

Thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Send it to just riding along.

oxym0r0n

That was my initial thought, just wondered if I could go local

bigdean

Personally id do it myself, at least i dont have to travel to moan about the build quality. Thing that puts me off stans is no eyelets, just drilled, and you needing a tension guage. Preffer renenforced eyelets and tensioning by feel. You dont need a trueing jig either just a pen/ pencil held on the chainstay or seatstay with an elastic band.

oxym0r0n

I have built wheels in the past but the eyelet thing bothers me too, hence wanting to find a pro

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My closest recommendation would be in Salisbury. Too far from you?

singlecrack
    Free Member

http://en-gb.facebook.com/JimDtuning

Prob one of the best in the local area

oxym0r0n

Glasto closer than Salisbury…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fair enough! The man who builds my wheels is in Salisbury, so thought it worth a shot just in case!

saladdodger
    Free Member

If you need a trueing stand and dishing tool I have one if needed

rp16v
    Free Member

box at bad ass bikes has a very good rep iv had 3 sets done by him all been superb with great after care (even after a year or so before needing first true) not that far and worth the drive

oldfart

What single rack said Jim is yer man !

slowboydickie

Not Dave Hinde. I bought a 29er crest/hope wheelset and several spokes have come loose after five rides. They offered to re-tension but would not pay the return postage. The JRA wheelset I bought last year have been superb so I would pay the extra in future.

oxym0r0n

saladdodger – that’s very kind – I might bare that in mind for another project

Thanks folks – I’ll check out prices and feed back!

TooTall
    Free Member

Webbs of Warmley oop Bristol way. Si there builds splendid wheels for on and off road. Even did me some fatlad commute wheels that are still true after a couple of years of my cakey riding.

MrGreedy

Thing that puts me off stans is no eyelets, just drilled, and you needing a tension guage.

Slight hijack, but why can’t you tension by tone/feel?

oxym0r0n

Slight hijack, but why can’t you tension by tone/feel?

You can normally, but IIRC Stans should be tensioned a bit lower than other wheels and is quite specific: Spoke Tensions

easygirl

Not dave hinde for anything 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a wheel builder…’ is closed to new replies.