Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a Welsh Trail centre
  • musttryharder
    Free Member

A friend (madjak)and I are looking into a Welsh trail centre trip in a months time, we’ve both been riding on and off for quite a few years, but spend most of our time riding natural trails in the Swindon and Chiltern areas.

Looking for trails that push us a little, whilst still being fun.
    I’ll be mincing round on a 120mm Soul and he’ll be on a Commencal Meta riding with a bit more skill.

Looking at the mtbwales site Arfan would be the obvious choice as it’s the closest, but looks like lots of the trails are being rebuilt, so next thought was Brechfa…

chvck
    Free Member

Nant-y-arian or the dyfi forest.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I like Cwmcarn in the southern end; but it’s a bit limited.

A reasonable lap will take you an hour and a bit, so you may need a couple of laps to make it worth going.

Coed Y Brenin is the best for actual miles on the ground, but it’s a little out of your way.

argoose
    Free Member

Brechfa. Have you thought about Forest of Dean

Pridds

Brechfa and try and pop over to Cwm Rhaedar which is an awesome little trail but very short

tacopowell
    Free Member

Nant yr Arian all day long!

wrecker
    Free Member

For trail centre stuffs; Coed y brenin.
    If youre more adventurous; I can’t wait to get back for another uplift day at antur stiniog, all trails up to and including the black are perfectly ridable on a HT.

musttryharder
    Free Member

So for the red trails at Brechfa or Nant-y-arian (which appeals because it’s near Aberystwyth were I went to Uni), what sort of features are we talking, are there jumps and drops etc, or is it mainly just twisty singletrack.

Would consider Forest of Dean too, how’s it compare to the welsh stuff?

Plan is to do a big ride on Saturday, stay overnight and do a short blast on Sunday.

wrecker
    Free Member

Would consider Forest of Dean too, how’s it compare to the welsh stuff?

[quote]

With the exception of the DH trails; it doesn’t. Certainly not the way marked stuff anyway.
    No big rides there. Coed y. Do the beast on sat, and any of a number of trails on sun.

ryanctj
    Free Member

Afan is well worth the visit, The Wall and White’s are fully open and brilliant, only Skyline is rerouted I believe and it’s still running in some form. I would combine White’s Wall with a visit to the new Garw trails which are only the next valley over.

Brechfa is really good but Afan tips it for me if I had to choose. No facilities at Brechfa either.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Brechfa and Afan. Brechfa was particularly good, I thought. Cracking pub at the trailhead as well.

cubemeup
    Free Member

Cwmcarn, garw then onto the wall and the new dual section for some fun

stumpy01

If it’s a weekend, then I would be heading to CyB but depends where ur based.

madjak
    Free Member

Ridden the stuff at FoD and looking for something a bit bigger. Would love to do Coed y but that will have to wait till I have time to get over there.

Heard some good things about Afan, good suggestions. Will do them all. Main thing is that they’re all not too tricky on a hardtail.

grum
    Free Member

ClimachX at Machynlleth is great but not that long. And anything is doable on a hardtail surely.

wrecker
    Free Member

Afan is fine on a HT.

covertbaz
    Free Member

Afan fella, went a few weeks ago was awesome! They have a big event there next weekend too to mark the official opening of the bid park

Check out cognation for more details

tomstickland
    Free Member

Go and do W2 at Afan (the Wall + White’s Level). It was all open when I was there a few weeks ago.

Otherwise, moving north there’s Brechfa (2 big trails), Cilycwm (small but good), Nant y arian, Climach X, Coedybrenin, Penmachno, Betwyscoed, Llandegla.

If you ride near Swindon then check out http://www.mbswindon.co.uk

davesmate
    Free Member

Afan for a day trip from Swindon. If you’re going to make a weekend of it though North Wales has more choice and they’re all worth a go.

Actually, that reminds me, I really need to get over to Penmachno again.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Welsh Trail centre’ is closed to new replies.