Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Recommend me a….. Weedkilker!
  • rob2
    Free Member

Got a gravel drive and weeds that just keep coming. Made worse by this warm and wet weather.

Recommend me a decent weed killer as its just taking forever to weed at the moment.

Happy to take some agricultural stuff if anyone had some in the south oxon area:-)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Roundup?

Spin
    Free Member

Anything with glyphosate as the active ingredient.

Roundup is to glyphosate what Neurofen is to ibuprofen so look at own brand stuff to save a few quid.

timbur
    Free Member

Salt.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Pathclear.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno what the chemical difference is, but i’ve found Pathclear type products more effective than Roundup/ generic glyphosates, as it appears to contain stuff that resides in the earth for longer and prevents germination of more seeds.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Salt if you don’t want anything to grow there for years.
    Or spray a mix of vinegar, salt & washing up liquid on them. Works fast, but wear gloves.
    I’ve read about people killing weeds with Coca-Cola as well, no idea if it wors.

dobo
    Free Member

rounup and other off the shelf stuff doesnt really work that well on some plants.

i got some big leafy things that just turn yellow and then come back to life..

also B&Q has value range that has glyposhate in? same mg amounts too.

gusamc
    Free Member

glyphosate based

or elbow grease, ie lift gravel and lay a membrane, I did and I get very few weeds, and as they’re gravel rooted only they pull out easily

rob2
    Free Member

Squid – Is that just vinegar, salt and washing up liquid? Or do you add water? It’s got a concrete then clay base but they are beginning to seed into the clay

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

You need a friendly farmer to buy some glyphosate from. The stuff jo public can buy is watered down shite! Glyphosate is what you need, it does’t need to be round up, most of it still comes from Monsanto anyway.

badllama
    Free Member

We used to use the industrial (farm) strength Roundup on the estate and it killed EVERYTHING we used to spray it over 1/4 to 1/2 acre areas before working the land for replanting and it was excellent since they have marketed in the consumer market it’s crap.

The consumer version must be water down to hell as we used to use it at home (after my recomendation to the gf) at it’s been bobbins. 🙁

hmanchester
    Free Member

Again it’s all about the glyphosate.

It comes in all shapes, sizes, powders, liquids etc. Just get whatever one gives you the most actual active ingredient for you cash.

Stoner
    Free Member

a blend of Grazon and Roundup will do a good job.

Grazon is ace stuff as it will not effect grass (as long as you dont use it in too strong a concentration and not during drought conditions) – its made a great job of bringing the field back to a meadowland from an overgrown thistle and bramble thicket.

dropoff

Clinic Ace available from MVF does a good job at about 20% of the cost of the named brands. SBK can be used effectively for broad leaved weeds in grass. Pathclear is still one of the best residual weedkillers for gravel.

anagallis_arvensis

its made a great job of bringing the field back to a meadowland from an overgrown thistle and bramble thicket.

if only it were that easy

project
    Free Member

As above, i use rock salt, the stuff they put on roads, fill a watering can half full ofsalt then add water, stir up, and just water the drive, repeat a few days latter, works every time.

Oh and its so cheap.

bruneep
    Squidlord
    Free Member

Rob2[quote]The most effective home-made weedkiller is a mixture of four cups of vinegar to half a cup of salt and a couple of teaspoons of washing-up liquid. When the salt is fully dissolved, just spray or wipe it on to broad-leaved weeds such as docks and ground elder. Unfortunately, it is lethal to all other plants around it as well. It works best in sunny conditions. [/quote]

Found here

It also notes

Gardeners have made their own weed controls for generations, but home-made herbicides and pesticides are illegal under current EU legislation.

But I won’t tell if you won’t…

I think you could prob dilute with water. Use a very cheap plastic sprayer, as the salt will knacker it after a few uses. Oh, and it’s smelly, so make it up in the garage or somewhere.

Not saying it’s better than RoundUp (etc). And it is more hassle. But our water comes from a well at the back of the house, so I’m wary of spraying chemicals about unnecessarily.

(Note for pedants: yes, I know salt [etc] is a chemical, But I reckon if I’m happy to put it on my dinner plate, I’m happy to put it on my garden).

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a few large patches of Ground Elder and the stuff we put on (glyphosate based) didn’t even touch them.

flip
    Free Member

I run a gardening business and have a pesticide license, this is what i mostly use for the circumstances you have:

http://www.pitchcare.com/shop/professional-total-weed-killers/rosate-36-5l-glyphosate.html

It will kill all the usual weeds no problem.

Stoner
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

if only it were that easy

Ok, worked for me.

anagallis_arvensis

looked like a better meadow before you started, now you just have some bits with long grass!!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Sorted the house out nicely though! “Just spray on” you say…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just normal Table salt kills weeds?

sparkyrhino

My wifes chicken gravy

steveoath
    Free Member

If you’re using “bought” stuff just make sure it systemic – the plant actively transports it through itself.

z1ppy

Anyone in the business know how close we could use weed-kill (for horse tails) up to our evergreen hedge, without killing the hedge? Estimates will do.

steveoath
    Free Member

Horse tails are notoriously difficult to deal with. A good solution is to cover the affected area with cardboard then heap compost on top. This will need to be repeated, but will enrich the soil and reduce/cut out numbers over time.

z1ppy

Quick thread resurrection… anyone got any experience of “Kurtail” (aka Kibosh) seemingly a specific Horse tail weed killer?
    It’s downright silly expensive and I’m wondering if it ‘is’ any better than any other std glyphosate weed killer.

(this is our front ‘lawn’ [‘area’ as it not actually lawned] so SteveO’s suggestion may be great but isn’t what my partner wants on display..)

flip
    Free Member

Quick thread resurrection… anyone got any experience of “Kurtail” (aka Kibosh) seemingly a specific Horse tail weed killer?

Not had experience of this particular pesticide but its not over expensive if it does the job, that 0.5l pack covers 1000m2.

Horsetail is a bugger to shift, repeated doses of Rosate 36 does work but you have to keep at it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a bottle of kurtail, and yes, at nearly forty quid, it seems expensive, but there is enough for repeated applications, and if it works it’ll save me a hell of a time.

gusamc
    Free Member

zippy, I know someone who paints on glyphosate 360 with a 1/2″ paintbrush, to do very selective weedkilling, I’d do a tester first though

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a….. Weedkilker!’ is closed to new replies.