Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • recommend me a washing machine
  • woffle
    Free Member

Just been told that the washing machine is knackered.

So – anyone know of / can recommend a decent washing machine that’ll last 5 years without falling to pieces. Ideally up to £500 if it’s going to last a while – maybe a slight bit of leeway on the budget. I know to steer clear of certain makes on reputation but wondering whether the Miele / Bosch’s are worth going for although they’re ££££?

The Gadget show recommended the LG Steampoint but it’s pricey and I’m not 100% convinced on their reliability…

Stoner
    Free Member

our AEG has done 12 years with no servicing and one house move without missing a single heart-beep.

Superb bit of kit. Im betting we make it to 25 years.

The matching AEG dryer, same age, need me to fit a new belt to it earlier this year, and that’s all.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Had a Bosch before, wouldn’t bother spending that sort of money again. Could to stay level, didn’t spin well, pile of crap really. Indesit we’ve got now is much better for less money.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrJ

Get the cheapest one from John Lewis (to get the 2 year warranty). What does a washer need? – a zillion programmes? – we only use one !!!

jova54
    Free Member

We’ve had a Bosch for 12 years now. Nothing replaced in that time and still going well. Recommend them anytime.

Cost a bit more to start with but has worked out better that the two Hotpoints we had in the previous 12 years that were rubbish and cost as much again in spare parts.

woffle
    Free Member

We had a sub-£200 cheapy and it fell apart about 1 month after the 12 month warranty expired. The repairman said he spends the majority of his time working on Hotpoints and Whirlpools.

Miele washing machines look like they come with a 5 year parts and labour warranty which is appealing. I’ve heard good things about AEG’s too.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Henry.

THREAD CLOSED.

Stoner
    Free Member

another thought is, if you can afford to be philanthropic, aiming for something with a reputation for a long life has lesser environmental impact than accepting you’re going to go through 2 or 3 cheapo units in the same period of time. However, often the maths dont add up (say a £200 unit vs a £600 where the £200 one lasts longer than a 1/3 of the expensive one)

reuse, reduce, recycle, as they say in the guardian 🙂

mildred

Bosch – We had ours for 5 yrs and then sold it to brother in law, who’ve now had it 7 yrs. It’s used daily and never failed.

Contrast that to the current Indesit piece of crap we now have – it came new in our new house – 3 yrs use and engineers have been out 5 times. Not even the same problem recurring, but a different one every time.

Also, the Bosch has a huge load capacity.

woffle
    Free Member

I don’t mind paying slightly more for something that’s more likely to a) last longer than 3 years without needing an engineer and b) be more energy / water efficient. Our current POS is heavy on the electric and water use as well as having a small drum.

Looks like AEG / Bosch it is then – off to phone the local company…

ourmaninthenorth

reuse, reduce, repair, recycle, as they say in InTheNorth Towers 🙂

That said, we have a Miele. Bottom of the range (don’t pay more for features you won’t use!). Cost £500ish 4 years ago, and has been faultless.

cinnamon_girl

Miele.

2hottie
    Free Member

Bought my Samsung washer for £299 in December due to it having a play/pause button on the front. The GF thought this was more user friendly for me. Plays a nice tune when finished too. 6kg drum so plenty big enough

uplink
    Free Member

We have a Bosch that’s been in regular use for years [8+] & all I’ve had to do is replace the motor brushes
    When I say regular I mean everyday, at least twice a day

woffle
    Free Member

Sure – we could repair. Again. But everytime it’s been serviced or taken apart it seems like it functions less effectively. It’s not getting things particularly clean which kind of defeats the object and it’s grossly inefficient if we have to wash things twice to get them clean…

Bunnyhop

second Meile.

Bunnyhop

Whoops mean’t miele.
    Cheapest one is a tad over £500, so shop around.

GJP
    Free Member

Siemens? Pretty sure you get a 5 year guarantee on their machines and they are cheaper than Miele. Entry model RRP a little over £400?

I recently bought their washer dryer (only 2 year guarantee) – too early to tell re longevity but very impressed with low level of noise and the 15 min programme that is perfect for lightly soiled bike gear.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£200 Zanussi was going strong after I left my last flat, it was 8 years old, prob only did one wash per week tho

donald
    Free Member

Bottom of the range Miele here – no problems yet.

surfer
    Free Member

Miele

When we bought our house they left a Miele dishwasher and washing machine. Both were circa 20 years old, looked awful but worked fine. Over the last 5 years both beyond repair so replaced with new Miele.

I wouldnt buy anything else.

glenh
    Free Member

My Bosch has just broken………

flatback
    Free Member

hotpoint indesit ariston, all the same company and are rubbish these days

bosch, miele, both expensive rip off parts when they do go wrong

lg are great but not the steam washer its pants

i would honestly get a cheap beko or the cheapest zanussi from currys, and stick it on a whatever happens policy the policy is the best in the business and for the price of a expensive washer you will have full piece of mind parts and labour for 4 years for the same cost.
    many makes including the premier brands are now crap standards in the last 3 years have fell off
    10 years ago my 10 calls a day was all a few years old under warranty, now i can have 10 calls a day all less than 3 months old
    did a £3200 cooker today 4 weeks old needed several parts
    my moto “everthings crap”

cinnamon_girl

Should have said that Miele tend to be cold fill only. Bottom of the range model is good enough, no need for the fancy programmes.

For donkey’s years I had various Hoover models which couldn’t cope with family loads of washing hence the change to Miele.

bruk

Whilst may be cheaper to buy cheapo plus extended warranty, can you cope with the hassle of the thing breaking down, the repair man taking several days to get to you and then never having the right part?

Buy the lowest range miele etc as it will be less stress.

Having said that my last cheapo comet’s own special ran for 7 years with no probelms before giving up the ghost in spectacular style flooding the kitchen on an overnight cycle!

joemarshall
    Free Member

We have a John Lewis own brand one. Which they claim is made by one of the major German companies (I can’t remember which one it was, but the equivalent to our £300 machine was something like £600).

Joe

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a washing machine’ is closed to new replies.