Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommend me a, wait for it, charity
  • IHN

So, I want to set up a regular charity donation (possibly a couple). I want to give to something in the ‘area’ of helping children and something in the ‘area’ of healthcare.

There are obvious choices like Save The Children, NSPCC, Marie Curie, MacMillan, BHF etc. However, my gut feel is that they already have pretty slick fund-raising efforts and that there are many, many smaller organisations who exist much more hand-to-mouth and where therefore, perhaps, my donation would have more impact.

So, I’m after ideas for a small-ish charities that do excellent work that maybe don’t get the exposure of the bigger players.

grum
    Free Member

My friend runs a charity called Stepping Stones Nigeria – very small and efficient with very dedicated staff.

http://www.steppingstonesnigeria.org/what-we-do.html

philconsequence
    Free Member

http://www.rainbowtrust.org.uk/Donate/Help+Support+Rainbow/Help+Support+Rainbow?gclid=CK6s8tzUtLECFSgntAodXl0ALg

i can’t express how far beyond the call of duty they go to help families through the most painful experiences.

wwaswas
    IHN

Sory, should add that I’m after charities doing work in the UK (not from any xenophobic stance I hasten to add)

GrahamS

I support these guys: http://www.orangutan-appeal.org.uk – by “adopting” a couple of orangs and flogging the odd thing on eBay as a charitable donation (good way to get rid of old gear and do some good).

I also give regularly to some more prominent charities:
    British Red Cross, RSPB, and Northumberland Wildlife Trust.

Edit: ah just saw your UK requirement. Well how about your local Wildlife Trust. As a mountain biker you presumably like wild habitats etc?

druidh
    Free Member

Those you mention might be very “slick” but they also do an incredible amount of work. I’d not discount them on that basis.

grum
    Free Member

GrahamS – care much more about animals than people eh?
    IHN – OMG, RACIST!!!!

NJA

Charities are a very personal thing, I think we all have our own reasons for supporting those that we do, but a good UK based one is http://www.clapa.com/about_us/ the Cleft Lip and Palate association.

They helped my son.

piha
    Free Member

What about your local air ambulance, helps out all sorts of sickly folk and also picks up Audi driving,overweight, middle aged, IT middle management mtbers when they go over the bars?

IHN

druidh – I’ve no doubt they do, and with more money they could do more, but I think that proportionately my donations would have a bigger ‘impact’ on a smaller charity.

graham – all worthy causes, but don’t really meet the ‘children or health’ requirements

IHN

also picks up Audi driving,overweight, middle aged, IT middle management mtbers when they go over the bars?

I drive a VW 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve asked for donations to the Langdale Mountain Rescue team as our wedding presents..

No gifts, just donate to these guys.

They where the ones that helped bring Dad’s body down, so for that alone, I’m eternally grateful.

Still can’t believe that rely totally on donations.. 😐

BoardinBob

We make monthly donations to

Dogs Trust (sponsor two dogs)
    WWF
    Guide Dogs
    Scottish Wildlife Trust

Yes, I do prefer animals to humans.

MrTall
    Free Member

How about cycling related?

http://www.lifecycleuk.org.uk/who-we-are

They will help disabled children and people with health problems along with others. They seem pretty small as well so your donation should help more?

rkk01
    Free Member

We are riding to raise money for Ty Hafan in September – childrens’ hospice in Cardiff.

Ty Hafan

wwaswas

my donations would have a bigger ‘impact’ on a smaller charity.

You do have to look at what proportion of a charity’s income goes on fundraising and admin really – they should publish at least a percentage.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

UK Youth?

That’s where the Big Bike Bash money goes.

therag
    Free Member

Ty hafen?
    Children’s hospice supporting chidren and their families who wont reach 19 yoa.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Joining Jack, as supported by Bradley Wiggins

GrahamS

GrahamS – care much more about animals than people eh?

Not really. My monthly donation to the British Red Cross is bigger than the other three put together.

But yes I do support wildlife and conservation stuff.

graham – all worthy causes, but don’t really meet the ‘children or health’ requirements

Sorry should have read the OP better. Red Cross then?
    Though obviously they are big and fairly “slick”.

leffeboy

Regular donations are great – charities love ’em 🙂

If they send out a regular newsletter/magazine but you never read it then just ask them not to – it will save a big lump of money

If you just want the newsletter but no direct mails – just ask. Not sending that stuff saves another big lump of money

If they have specific projects and you specify which one you want the money to go to then that is more ‘efficient’ as they won’t be able to use it all on HQ admin. However the HQ admin is needed so don’t discount the value of it (we can raise roughly 4x our private income from public sources but we need the private money to do it).

Edit: and full marks for trying to pick smaller local charities 🙂

redstripe
    Free Member

UK Youth supporting young people in the UK. As WCA says the annual Big Bike Bash next month is held in support of UK Youth and all the profit from this particular event goes directly back into cycling facilities and opportunities for young people. There’s not many fundraising events you can go back to each year and actually see for yourself the difference your money made.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

For the last 10 years my girlfriend has run Kiota in her spare time. It fits the OP as it raises money for centres for abused young women and children with a strong focus on healthcare (eg HIV awareness and testing).

All the money goes straight to the centres in Tanzania.

Obviously I’m going to be proud of my girlfriend but the projects are truly amazing. I visited them for the first time a few months ago and was blown away by the work they do. Some of the stories are harrowing but when you see the positive outcomes I can see why people dedicate their lives to this kind of work.

EDIT just read your second post about about UK work, completely understand. Chapeau either way.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Find you local childrens hospice and donate to them?

footflaps

What about something like Mind or Shelter, both help families and children (although not exclusively)?

My DD charities are:

Action For Children
    Mind
    Oxfam
    Local Blue cross
    Amnesty International
    Action Aid
    Local Wildlife Trust
    Shelter
    Liberty

IHN

Right, childrens’ charities will be:

http://www.rainbowtrust.org.uk/
    http://www.winstonswish.org.uk/
    http://www.kidsco.org.uk/

So, health-related ones?

[edit]MIND will be one of them.

footflaps

Health wise the obvious choices would be:

The Wellcome Trust
    Cancer Research UK
    British Heart Foundation

footflaps
    goodgugu
    Free Member

I recently did a charity ride and collected sponsorship for ‘Together For Short Lives’.

Essentially it is a UK charity that helps terminally ill children who are unlikely to reach adulthood and provides support to them and their families. I thought it was a very worthwhile charity!

Homepage

cinnamon_girl

Dementia – visit your local nursing home. Imagine how some money that could pay for a little sing-a-long/pianist/entertainer would make a massive difference to those poor folk stuck in their own personal hell. A time window where they could smile or laugh, perhaps fleetingly, before they return to their sad existence.

IHN

CG – good call, family link there too.

leffeboy

CG has it right. Sometimes that sort of thing is just as worthy as the high profile campaigns. Maybe have a mix of big stuff and local.

philconsequence
    Free Member

not to diminish the thought behind CG’s idea…. you might struggle to find a dementia place that’s a charity, most are businesses that should be providing that kinda thing anyway.

no harm in looking though 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Cyclists fighting Cancer?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My own feeling is that the greatest improvement that can be made to society is from the bottom up. Fully functioning adults are grown from well-treated children.

I’m leaving everything to the NSPCC.

“Biggest Bang for the Buck”…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a, wait for it, charity’ is closed to new replies.