Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a – veg peeler…
  • leffeboy

Ok, I don’t really want a new veg peeler. There are just so many things that have improved beyond recognition since the 60s and 70s when I grew up that it seems amazing to me that I always resort to the same peeler I used back then, all the new fancy floppy bladed stuff failing too quickly

So, where is my veg peeler of the future, what do folks use that is an improvement and actually works rather than just being a gimic

edit: arse, bike forum, I’m sorry 🙁

joshvegas
    Free Member

One of those for potatoes

But a speed peeler dicks all over it for carrots etc.

leffeboy

so what is a speed peeler then?

edit: it’s one of those floppy blade things. They only last a month or two

SaxonRider

The DEFINITIVE vegetable peeler!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TagRPfAfcrI[/video]

The demo at 1:10 is especially revealing.

leffeboy

i’m a little worried you knew that was there

SaxonRider

i’m a little worried you knew that was there

😆

captaindanger

Kai

chakaping
    Free Member

Oxo Good Grips Y Peeler.

dantsw13

I picked one up at Williams & Sonoma in the states with an ergonomic curved handle. It’s the dogs dooda’s – the blade cuts just a little deeper than the old ones.

Sorry, no photos since photo bucket wend south, and my kitchen is a building site!

beej

Oxo Good Grips Y Peeler.

Yep. You should see me go through a pile of carrots with one of those bad boys.

Cougar

What you have there OP is a Lancashire Peeler (nothing to do with policemen). The king of peelers, the gold standard by which other peelers are judged. I inherited mine off my gran, it’s probably as old as I am or more so but it was ostensibly brand new when I got it as she was right-handed and I left-handed so the other side of the blade was unused.

When it eventually succumbed to dullness through overuse (a phenomenon familiar to most STW regulars), I sought a replacement only to find that modern Lancashire Peelers are pale imitators to the original mighty LP; plastic coloured stripes on the handle where the old string used to be, basically cheap crap. In desperation I randomly bought one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/kitchen-utensils/ikea-365-v%C3%A4rdefull-potato-peeler-black-art-30175140/

And… it is **** awesome. It’s the Lancashire Peeler evolved. It’s got a flappy blade sure, but it’s comfortable to hold and it Just Works. Mine’s had near-daily use for about five years and is still going strong.

Get it bought, if you don’t get on with it I’ll refund you the three quid myself.

simon_g

Wife always brings half a dozen of these back from NZ each time: http://www.dalsonware.com.au/classic.html . They’re pretty much the standard peeler in AU/NZ, and work pretty well.

I quite like the Rex peelers too.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Peeling veg is what children are for

bodgy
    Free Member

Victorinox ‘Rex’ peeler – highly recommended.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you break ‘floppy blade things’ in a month or two you’re either:
    a). buying them from poundland
    b). a ham-fisted gym freak
    c). in the army and have pissed off the sergeant and are on permanent potato peeling duty

My experience is they’re far better (for potatoes as well) than the older style ones and last for years.

stumpy01

Y Peeler FTW!

jimdubleyou

Oxo Good Grips Y Peeler.

Y Peeler FTW!

So good, I bought one for me to use at my mum’s house.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#PeakSTW

slowoldman

One of these old things I’ve had for probably 30 odd years.

bodgy
    Free Member

^^

What’s the square end for?

slowoldman

Slicing beans apparently. I’ve never used that bit.

Cougar

Y Peeler FTW!

Learn to use a proper peeler, you great set of girls’ blouses.

bodgy
    Free Member

Slicing beans apparently

Wow. That’s quite specific.

Mat

Another endorsment for Oxo Good Grips Y Peeler.

onandon
    Free Member

Simple.

If you peel, you need one of these.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I have three or four peelers in the cupboard, but always go back to my Victorinox one. Looks different than that one ^ but its a great piece of kitchen kit.

SaxonRider

Does anyone else think it simultaneously bizarre and fantastic that a thread about vegetable peelers on a mountain bike forum should be in its second day, and have run to almost a page worth of responses?

8)

Speeder

slowoldman – Member
    One of these old things I’ve had for probably 30 odd years.

Yup these are by far the best – the free rotation c**ps all over the 1/2 plastic things which means it follows the curves of the vegetable and it’s a natural fit in your hand unlike that Good Grips thing where you have to contort your hand to use it and end up taking the skin off a knuckle. I’ve got a rusty old one that the wife keeps abandoning on the oak surfaces so we get rust marks all over it but I still won’t replace it.

I used to work in a kitchen prepping food at 15-18 and that was a lot of potatoes to peel.

slowoldman

Ah yes, the rust stains.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a – veg peeler…’ is closed to new replies.