• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a used car
  • rossburton
    Free Member

We’ve pretty much outgrown our Honda Jazz: the dogs just about fit in the boot (labrador and cockerpoo) but obviously nothing else in there with them. My son has just gone to a 24″ bike so we need to take both wheels off to get it in the boot (for convenience if the bikes are just going to the park). When we travel as a family on holiday the entire boot fills up to capacity.

So we want something a little bigger. Not really interested in an estate as they’re so damn long, something more like a MPV or a spacious light SUV: C4 Picasso, Zafira, Kaptur, ix35, etc.. I’ve aspirational brand loyalty and would be happy with a CR-V but they’re too expensive! Some of the SUVs I’ve looked at are physically a lot larger than the Jazz but internal space is the same, it’s all lost in style.

So, what’s recommended and available for a good price for a ~2012 model?

T1000
    Free Member

Skoda Yeti? They have a sliding rear seat arrangement that’s v useful

Vw golf SV probably a bit new to make your list but has lots of space not as long as the estate, tall but doesn’t feel like a regular mpv + has sliding rear seats

parkesie
    Free Member

5 door civic has some clever seating. Yeti works well as a bike mover and people shifter.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP the Jazz is hard to beat in terms of interior space vs overall size. VW Touran ?

iancity1
    Free Member

Watching with interest. After a used car that will take my bike (have a Nissan Pixo at the moment, small is not the word!), all of the forums I have read recommend a Jazz, so its definitely on my hitlist, but like the OP, also considering other larger cars as well …

rossburton
    Free Member

Dull isn’t a negative in my opinion – we’re currently driving a Jazz so thats not exactly a cool car! Yes, the Jazz has an amazing space/size ratio, shame Honda discontinued the FR-V years ago really.

Verso was on my short list actually, but they’re pretty rare and another requirement I failed to mention is automatic gearbox.

TheFlyingOx

A year is no good, OP. We need a price range.

Ford S-Max? Volvo XC60?

rossburton
    Free Member

Yeah a price range would be good! Around £10K max.

Sundayjumper

I’m going to ignore your criteria and recommend what we have – Passat estate. Currently a B6, but we had a B6 before and it’s almost identical.

Boot is a really good size and was big enough when we had two large dogs (Akita & Rottweiler). Although we had to add a roof box when the child arrived ! For luggage, obvs. Not the child.

AlexSimon

Love my Peugeot Partner Tepee (same as Berlingo) (2010 onwards).
    Not a single hitch in 58,000 miles.

Sure it doesn’t handle like a sports car, but it can fit 2 whole bikes in, is pretty quiet and refined, cheap second hand, has sliding rear doors, etc.

Only downside compared to the Grande Picasso, is the lack of reclining rear seats, but that feels like a bigger car to drive.

Sundayjumper

Currently a B6, but we had a B6 before and it’s almost identical.

<facepalm>

Currently a B7.

rhid

I have a berlingo for all the reasons above. Its brilliant. Plus you can take the back seats out completely really easily.

Its for sale soon too.

stumpy01

I don’t understand the comment about an estate being too long, but something more like a Zafira being what you’d like…

As an example, the Zafira is around 150mm longer than a Leon Estate.

I think MPV’s appear shorter because they are higher, so the extra length is balanced by the extra height.

northernmatt

In the tradition of recommending what you have and to echo them above, a Berlingo.

Swallows stuff like no tomorrow and you should be able to get the newer Blue HDi engine which does 64mpg combined (allegedly). Yeah it looks like a van but that’s what it is.

jimjam
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

I don’t understand the comment about an estate being too long, but something more like a Zafira being what you’d like…

As an example, the Zafira is around 150mm longer than a Leon Estate.

Same here, even a big estate like a Passat is about 10cm longer overall. Most cars have got parking sensors now anyway so surely it’s a bit moot?

rossburton
    Free Member

I guess length is perception a lot of the time, and compact estates (such as the Leon) may be a good compromise. See, good discussion! Is there such a thing as a good car dimension comparison site I wonder, where you can trivially compare the dimensions/storage of cars.

Berlingo has been ruled out by my wife as being hideous, by the way.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mondeo?

rossburton
    Free Member

Related: if we find a used car in a dealer that is say £15K, what sort of space for negotiation is there these days?

ski
    Free Member

Mk 8 5dr civic has a huge boot for its class, neat folding up rear seats, plus there are loads to choice from for little money, I get 45mpg from my 1.8 petrol too!

Won’t be a 2012 though

jimjam
    Free Member

rossburton

Is there such a thing as a good car dimension comparison site I wonder, where you can trivially compare the dimensions/storage of cars.

Parkers should have most of the info your heart desires.

matt_outandabout

Is there such a thing as a good car dimension comparison site I wonder, where you can trivially compare the dimensions/storage of cars.

http://www.rica.org.uk/2104

joolsburger
    Free Member

i think you’d be hard pressed to beat an Smax for what you need. I’d certainly start there.

benp1

Have a look at the FRV, might work for you?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a used car’ is closed to new replies.