• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a turbo trainer
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

So the weathers carp and I need to train (no MTFU comments ta as my safety come first).
    Are tacx the daddies?? If so what model should I look at??

bigG
    Free Member

To be honest what turbo you get isn’t the real issue, they are all much of a muchness (unless you’re forking out mega bucks).

The trick is getting the right setup, you’ll very quickly get bored staring at the garage wall

iainc

Usually lots in classifieds or Gumtree as the novelty wears off quickly for most people. As above, be prepared to move monotony to the next level 😀

Hells

The wind resistance trainers tent to be a bit loud so I’d avoid them. I’ve got a CycleOps Magneto (sounds like the X-Men have invaded) which is a good basic trainer.
    The big problem is the boredom when using it. I tend to either watch stuff downloaded from iplayer or films! But if you want something training related, get some of the Sufferfest videos!!
    Unfortunately I’m about to set mine up for a 2 hour session, Ironman training!! I’d of liked to go out on the mtb today, but it would be stupid in this weather so It has to be he turbo! 🙁

MSP

Kurt kinetic with large flywheel is a great trainer. Fluid resistance seem to give the most consistent power curve, and are a tad quieter.

Sufferfest is good, but it comes alive when matched with trainer road.

jam-bo

My turbo is great for motivating me to go out on a real bike.

poly
    Free Member

I’d suggest the question is not “which turbo?” but “turbo or rollers?”

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I got an Elite one off here for £65 (I think), it been fine, but its hellish boring without Sufferfest or some kind of other ‘distraction’.

Rollers are more fun and with the resistance unit, I would say they can be as useful as a turbo unless you really want hard interval training.

nammynake
    Free Member

Tacx Satori. No need to spend lots. As mentioned you need something to prevent boredom – I watch Tour de France highlights on YouTube, there are quite a few 45 minute videos on there.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Tacx Satori here. I keep mine in the living room and get through TV shows on love film or the rare times there is something good on TV, staring at a wall would be far worse!

flap_jack
    Free Member

to quote Sean Yates, anyone who gets bored during a 3 hour turbo session isn’t trying hard enough…

iain1775
    Free Member

+1 takx satori
    £135 with mat wheel block and DVD from decathalon
    Same set up is still over £200 at wiggle etc
    Does job reasonably quiet decent range of resistance

monkeychild
    Free Member

My plan would be setup the laptop with some visual stimulation 😀 I also have a spare LCD TV I could utilise.

MSP

I really can’t urge you any where near enough to use sufferfest and trainer road, it really does completely change turbo training.

(which does mean you really need a trainer without manual adjustment, and on the trainer road list).)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a turbo trainer’ is closed to new replies.