Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a Turbo…
  • snax

I’m looking for a Turbo Trainer for me and the better half to use over the winter… Basically she needs to study a lot over the winter and has entered an Ironman so feels the need to get fit and my work means I don’t always get the training rides in I would like, and have a few rather long races lined up for next year… Has anyone used the Minoura Live Ride 540 Trainer and got any thoughts on it? Are there other trainers we should be looking at? I’ve considered rollers, but the gf is unsure about them…

Sam

AS you are both training for longer events I’d definitely recommend rollers. turbos are better for gnawing your bartape intervals, but if you want something which is not going to bore you stiff by riding it for an hour or so then rollers are the way to go. I recently got some of the Jet Black rollers – seem very decent quality at a reasonable price.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m on my 4th winter with an Elite Realaxiom, very motivating but not cheap.

These look good for less money but it’s early days for them:

http://www.cycletechreview.com/2012/news/bkool-social-sports-network/

tommygunadam
    Free Member

Bought a Tacx turbo magnetic trainer 13 years ago and after many many hours of use (and few newbolts – the design is better now me thinks) it’s still going. After using both rollers in the past and a turbo to assist in both road race and Ironman training then I’d choose a turbo every time. One fall off the rollers and you’d wish you’d bought a turbo as you see the vast entry fee go up in smoke as you recover from your injuries …….

lemonysam
    Free Member

Does everyone who uses rollers do so surrounded by broken bottles and used needles? How do you damage yourself beyond mild bruising and hurt pride toppling over slowly from 6 inches off the floor?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Just get a cheap mag turbo, pay £150 or less.

More important to use it that have a fancy turbo sitting the garage doing nothing.

spacemonkey

Tacx Flow 2220 + VR software (TTS) @ approx £700 RRP but can be had for nearer £500 if you look round. Awesome piece of kit that let’s me customise everything (training progs through to Google Earth routes) and store loads of data on the PC.

mudshark
    Free Member

TTS software is a bit buggy from what I hear. I had a Fortius for a while, the VR racing seemed interesting but I prefer the Elite turbos.

spacemonkey

Yep, a fair few people do find TTS buggy. I had my concerns before committing but have found 3.5 to run perfectly on W7. I’m not going to upgrade for a year or so though because it works as is. Very good sw though.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Tacx fortious for sale here £330 including steering rack and some DVD’s. I have photos. If your interested key me know, due to weight postage is pointless- I am based in the midlands

snax

Thanks for the thoughts, lots to go out…

The Midlands is a little far at the moment, but will keep it in mind if thats ok…

I think I’m naturally leaning towards rollers, just need to see if I can convince the better half…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Turbo…’ is closed to new replies.