Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a tow ball mounted bike rack…
  • Jungli
    Free Member

Am currently looking at the Thule Velocompact Range and needs to carry 3 bikes possibly 4.

Should I be looking at anything else. Used to have a Thule Rideon and didn’t like it much so want something a bit better.

Cheers

J

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only 7 threads in the past 3 weeks, I thought there’d be more.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/search.php?q=towbar

mtbfix

You could read all or any of those threads or simply go buy an Atera Strada and get on with your life.

Jungli
    Free Member

I did read quite a bit of them (thanks othercutlery) and I am still considering the Thule Velocompact as I can’t really see why the Atera’s are better?

Reasons to buy Atera over Thule?

gkeeffe

I have a Atera Strada 3DL… really good works well.. it doesn’t tip but slides which I think is better. It takes ages the first time to set up three bikes to prevent rubbing… I’d get the 3 bike one even if you only have 2 bikes as you can leave the central holder empty and as the bikes are far apart there’s no rub on anything…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They’re all a faff to fit the amount of bikes on them that they supposedly take, as gkeefe says, to prevent maxles rubbing against fork lowers etc…

I have a Thule, don’t think I’d buy another tbh.

wwaswas

I know I say this every time but check the nose weight that’s allowed on your car’s towbar.

A substantial rack plus 3 or 4 heavier bikes can go over it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

wwaswas +1

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Or, for a 4-bike rack, you could save yourself £250 over the equivalent Altea and Thule rack and get a Buzzrack Quattro. It’s heavy but you’re still unlikely to break your nose weight unless you want to carry 4 full on DH bikes – assuming you’re in something a bit more substantial than a Fiesta.

andyfla
    Free Member

Thule euroclassic – had one for 2 years on the back of the t5- bloody awesome , sarry 4 bikes regularly and dead easy to open the back once they are tipped down – bloody expensive mind, but wouldnt swap it for anything else

you do learn which bikes go best against other bikes and which saddles need quick releases, etc

ads678

I got one of these – http://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter-zx404-towbar-mounted-4-bike-cycle-carrier.html it fits on a flange rather than the tow ball, so not good if you don’t want a big black metal thing hanging off the back of your car, but great if you’re not bothered like me.

It works a treat, bit of a faff at first but is solid and the tilt function is dead easy to use.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

another vote for the Thule 929 G6 Euroclassic here

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thule Euroway here. (G2 923). I think the Euro Classic is overkill and doesn’t offer any advantage.
    We had an older one and were hit from behind. Only the rack was damaged and they replaced it for us instead of going through insurance. The newer one is a lot lighter and packs down smaller so it’s easier to fit; use and store (it fires easily in the boot when unloaded and stands in one end in the corner of the garage right out of the way) It clamps on with one lever. All the bike ‘arms’ detach easily so you don’t need to thread them through frames as you load bikes. The wheel trays are adjustable. The rack like to the car and each clamp locks onto the bike its securing too. Tilt mechanism is great. Piece of piss to load too. No faffing at all. I can’t fault it.

midlifecrashes

Bit of a hijack, sorry.

Do you all use these on bolt-on flanges or can they go on a swan-neck ball?
    My mate has just gone for an e-bike and it’s too heavy to lift onto a roof rack, he currently has a V70 for caravan lugging. E-bike plus one regular bike will be the max. load.

dantsw13

Buzzrack goes on either swan or flange ball.

yoshimi

Altera Strada thing, the best there is

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a tow ball mounted bike rack…’ is closed to new replies.