Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a tough sidewalled tyre for tubeless
  • Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

As per title.
    With all this dry weather, I've been running a Larsen TT on the rear of my Meta 5 and a single ply supertacky Minnion on the front. Rims are Flows with yellow tape and Stans fluid.

After about the fifth ride and probably less than 150 miles total, I've ripped the sidewall to beyond the magic healing capability of the fluid.
    (Edit:It's the TT on the rear that's ripped)

Last time I did Garburn before I went tubeless, I had 3 pinch flats in one day. Since tubeless – None, so I'm not going to abandon tubeless after one small setback but I could do with something more substantial in the sidewall department for the back end.

Typical riding; Lakes, Calderdale, etc.
    Want something fairly fast rolling and not too heavy

Moon on a stick?

scaredypants

"proper" ust tyres are thicker-walled

ust rubber queen seem OK (have a kind of "textured" wall too, whether it helps I dunno). Not sure it (2.2) is massively grippy but reckon fine for the back

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Go look at specialized's range of tyres. Best VFM I have found and they are brilliant bits of rubber.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yeah, I was thinking it would be either a UST or a dual ply to try next.
    I'd probably lean towards a different Maxis tyre as first choice but I'll check out the RubberQueens next time I'm in a shop.
    Ta

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Go look at specialized's range of tyres. Best VFM I have found and they are brilliant bits of rubber.

Any experience of these on Stans rims? Good fit?

chakaping
    Free Member

I usually put holes in UST tyres in between the tread, not the sidewalls.

Have done a Maxxiss Lust and a Conti RQ UST (although I was riding down Cader Idris on a 7" bike that time) – so I'm starting to think it's just an occupational hazard.

Will follow suggestions with interest.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I run them on olympic rims and they seat easily with a track pump. Pretty much as easy as fitting a tubed tyre. Never had any problems with them. Wont use anything else now.

Captains grip like doodoo to a blanket.

pedalhead
    Free Member

If you like the Larsen TT, it does come in UST flavour.

peachos
    Free Member

Nothing is invincible.

I would definitely NOT recommend maxxis Ignitor LUST – i know of at least 4 tyres that have failed due to a weak bead, using a variety of tubless methods.

I got a Halo Choir Master UST off CRC for £20 recently and it worked really well up in Scotland last week paired with a 2.4 Rubber Queen up front. Sidewalls feel pretty tough, dunno how heavy it is, good in mud/peat and rock but also seemed to allow me to get sideways when called for too. Well impressed, I think I've found my ultimate combo.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you like the Larsen TT, it does come in UST flavour.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Captains grip like doodoo to a blanket.

Must be worth a try – Had a quick check on CRC, Ribble & Merlin but they don't seem to stock Spesh tyres. Where from?

specializedneeds

Kenda Nevegal with SWS (Sidewall Shield)?

6 months and still going, compared to Maxxis HR exception series and Bontrager Mud X, both of which I have suffered sidewall cuts. Not too fast rolling though. They seem to have stopped making the Small Block 8 in SWS variety.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    I'll check out the Nevegal SWS and the Spesh.
    The Halo on CRC is probably worth a shot at that price too. Looks grippier and and will probably need a bit more effort to drive it along but I'll give it a try I think (dusty weather can't last for ever).

br
    Free Member

I'm surprised, as I went to the TT on my hardtail after been sick of ripping tyres on the flints around here.

What pressures are you running, and is it the 2.35?

mttm
    Free Member

Maxxis are introducing a sidewall reinforcement on selected tyres in their range (they're calling it "exo-protection")- might be worth checking out before going the whole hog and trying dual plys. The dps are very heavy and only really make sense with gravity on your side. Exo-protection will be available on:
    Ardent 26×2.25
    – Ardent 26×2.4
    – Ardent 29×2.4
    – CrossMark 26×2.1
    – Ignitor 26×2.35
    – Ignitor 29×2.1
    – Minion 26×2.5 single ply 60a
    – Minion 26×2.5 single ply 3C

From this thread here

scruff
    Free Member

as chakaping Ive put holes in a few around the tread, UST Contis and Bontrager TLRs mainly and the bead on my HR LUST has gone all loose.

Where I usually ride its not rocky and UST / TLR seem fine, but in places with rocks I usually hole a tyre, so have tended to put big cunky tyre on with tube last few times I've had day trip away.

Rocks + UST= Jurys out.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

What pressures are you running, and is it the 2.35?

Its a 2.0 at 40psi
    I think the issue might be partly due to the Stan's rim allowing so much sidewall to be "in harm's way" on the 2.0
    Might have been a bad choice.

Maxxis are introducing a sidewall reinforcement on selected tyres in their range (they're calling it "exo-protection")-

More good info, thanks. I'll go looking for some of these. Are they in shops yet?

mttm
    Free Member

I haven't been able to find any, but reading between the lines I don't think they're far away. Might just be wishful thinking on my part, though.

EDIT: there's a bit more info and some pics here

WackoAK
    Free Member

I tried the Halo Choir master UST, was good initially but it wore out very quickly although as you say for that price it's worth a try.

I'd avoid the highroller LUST – it's the only UST tyre I've managed to puncture.

br
    Free Member

Go for the 2.35 TT.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Thanks all,
    Plenty of options there.
    I'll do some research tonight.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Have the same problem (kinda) with flows, except it wasnt ripping sidewalls, its pulling non-tubeless tyres off the rim. The highroller/minion i have has a thinner sidewall than the crossmark i have (all single ply 2.35/2.25, larsons the same?), and the crossmark has a looser bead. Just got an eskar 2.3 2bliss to hopefully sort problem…goes up so easily, only problem is its huge compared to the 2.35 maxxis! Popped the eskar on the front and its pretty good tyre, looking to get a captain 2.2 for the rear.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+ 1 the Halo Choir Master UST for the rear – cheap and works well

I run a Fat Albert 2.25 UST on the rear which is more money but grippy and tough. Big fan of the FAs – I run a standard 2.35 on the front, setup as ghetto tubeless. Not been as impressed with Maxxis range myself.

mogrim

-1 Specialized, the tyre walls are made of paper!

I stuck a Geax on the front of mine a couple of weeks ago, looks pretty thick skinned and was a right b*****d to get on.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

-1 Specialized, the tyre walls are made of paper!

Lots of people seem to say this and it seems to have stuck. I think specialized have changed the control tyres to make them thicker and more rip resistant…the sidewalls of mine certainly dont feel paper thin…time will tell, but its survived 2 rocky rides so far.

specializedneeds

There are two versions of most Spesh TR tyres – Control and S-Works. Would be useful if comments included which one they refer to. The S-works (I've always assumed) are bound to be more fragile, being lighter weight than the Control versions. Certainly a buddy of mine trashed his S-works very easily and he is very easy on components (slow and careful).

Bendigo
    Free Member

+1 for Specialized tyres here. Running purgatory controls on stans arch without problem.

jim
    Free Member

Any experience of these on Stans rims? Good fit?

Eskar Controls went up really really easily on 355 rims with yellow tape, can't say the sidewalls seem particularly thin.

mogrim

Lots of people seem to say this and it seems to have stuck. I think specialized have changed the control tyres to make them thicker and more rip resistant…the sidewalls of mine certainly dont feel paper thin…time will tell, but its survived 2 rocky rides so far.

Every time I take the bike out of the garage there's green tyre sealant bleeding out of the side walls, all the way round. And they're the 2Bliss (bloody stupid name, too) ones. Pity, as I quite like the tread.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a tough sidewalled tyre for tubeless’ is closed to new replies.