Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a tool chest/cabinet.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve too many tools here there and everywhere and need something bigger to keep them in. Any recommendations? Currently I’m looking at the Halfords one and the Seally American Pro type. Anything else out there?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Whats your budget ? Do you think youll want to expand in future ?

parkesie
    Free Member

The halfords profesional ones are excelent once they find one that hasnt been dropped from a great hight.

footflaps

Halfords ones are great, just wait till they’re half price e.g.:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/efyXMe]Order[/url] by brf, on Flickr

somafunk

Either Halfords Professional or for a more robust cabinet go for the Halfords Industrial, i have snap-on cabinets as i used to be a vehicle mechanic years ago but i’d be just as happy to use Halfords Industrial without getting snobby.

EDIT : Just had a look on halfords website, there’s a special deal on industrial cabinets – they have a 6 drawer industrial top box cabinet @ £259.99 that when bought with a 6 Drawer lower tool cabinet @ £349.99 – comes to £609 but with £309 off it comes to £300…thats a helluva bargain for them.

Halfords Bargain

I may buy that myself…….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Halfords Professional. Does the job. I need to stop buying them really.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

You should be able to get the British Cycling discount on top of the half price offer if you’re a member as well 😀

Underhill
    Free Member

Halfords Industrial. I have a MAC chest but got one of the above on a voucher last year for home. The Halfords now lives at work in daily use & the MAC it replaced languishes unloved. Incredible bargain at that price.

Plus the badges will pop off no problem if you feel the need

backinireland
    Free Member

Nice big workbench with a peg board behind

trail_rat
    Free Member

So all your work happens infront of the bench with your pegboard. ?

Toolboxes are great… Working on the car in the drive- wheel the box to where im working….

Working infront of the bench….wheel it there, working on a mates car at his ….throw it in the truck.

Peg boards are for folk who like to look like a bike shop…..where they work very well when designed to be ergonomically correct.

Halfords boxes are doing me lovely. How ever the homco stuff in costco is worth a shout its either 44 or 56 ” top and bottom for 400 quid.

backinireland
    Free Member

ok trail rat calm down just a suggestion.

What tools do you want to store?
    Where and when do you use them?

I’m not saying hang everything you own on the walls but a mixture of this and smaller toolboxes may be better than a large chest which is too large to bung in car or bring into the house.

I have large garage with 14ft workbench with couple vices, bench grinder and bike workstand.

One end of bench has bike workstand, pegboard on wall beside this with shelving below. Toolbox there with some spare innertubes, chain, cables and other things which I would take to a race, other things added to toolbox from pegboard if required.

Socket sets in boxes which can be lifted. Spanners are in tool rolls which hang on wall but can be lifted to wherever need be.

Free set scrounged from an office of these for some other tools such as rivet gun, stapler, various testers and other less commonly used things at bench end.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-X-2-BISLEY-15-DRAWERS-INDUSTRIAL-HOME-OFFICE-FILING-METAL-CABINETS-/191205822359?pt=UK_BOI_Office_Equipment_Supplies_Office_Furniture_ET&hash=item2c84c14f97

Small metal top box with drawers for various bits not in main socket set such as wobble bars, torx sets and other mixed spanners.

Driveway is gravel so wheeled toolbox no good, anyway any car servicing tends to happen in garage.

Various saws, screwdrivers pliers etc all on pegboard behind workbench. Have a few wooden tote boxes which are handy to throw a few things in if need to do a job in the house
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/2a/2a9f5e36-88f4-46ac-b945-33caf03fb9db_300.jpg

Anyway what I’m trying to say is
    look at what tools you have
    look at what tools you hope to have
    where and when do you use them
    plan what needs to be kept together, what is used regularly, what is used once or twice a year

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks all, much to persuse. That Halfords deal does look good though slightly more than I’d wanted to spend.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

trail rat I was hoping to spend up to £200 but I might stretch to that Halfords deal. At the moment everything I use is in the house, I have a large bike cupboard thats starting to overflow. The pressure is on to move out to the garage though(prefab concrete garage, its a bit of a pain with dampness and I need to work out how I’m going to sort it first).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just jelous my garage isnt big enough to fit all my projects in……. I will admit i do have some screw drivers and allen keys/ other too hand tools on mag racks behind my bench but only stuff i have duplicates of as i find the portability of my chest too handy tohave to gather up tools when i want to take it away.

Look at the red pro stuff yokaiser its more than fine for home use.

I have this stuff , i wouldnt spend any more tbh unless i was moving into tool truck teretory , my mate (who runs a garage) as a big snap on 72″ roll cab and he is vertically challenged , for as long as ive known him hes used the bottom 2 drawers as a step to get into the top of the chest…

You couldnt do this with even the black halfords stuff ….

Fwiw i aldo have 2 torq metal cabs from bnq which were 60 quid each on clearance – you might find some if your lucky as it was only a couple months ago.

Very much worth a look for home use , i only use them for tools i dont use much.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also is it damp or just hella condensationy …..

I have fibre board roofed garage and it condensates like hell on the roof and made the floor perminantly wet…. Then i insulated it and it stopped being condensation mobbed and dried out.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The roof is a corrugated steel thing, plastic coated.I’ll try insulating it first. I had considered doing the roof and walls but it would take up quite a lot of space if done right.

backinireland
    Free Member

Northwind

IME the top boxes (with the shallower drawers) are most useful, for the tools you use most- you can lay them out well without having to dig around. The bottom boxes tend to have fewer, deeper drawers which is useful if you’ve got large tools to store- I used to have my air and power stuff in mine- but not really that useful for most folks- if you put smaller stuff in, it just ends up piled up like in a toolbox. I ended up selling it as it’s a lot of cash to have tied up doing a job you can do with an old chest of drawers or a couple of pound shop plastic boxes… (the top box now sits in a salvaged wardrobe)

So that’s all a really longwinded way of saying, the halfords deal looks awesome but have a think about whether you really want both boxes and the mobility.

backinireland
    Free Member

Top box on one of those trolleys I linked to

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a tool chest/cabinet.’ is closed to new replies.