Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a tent on a budget…
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Have a family tent but my wife and I are think of a one nighter second tent to get away biking.

Weight isn’t an issue as will be travelling by car and just day rides from base.

Just a basic 3 man ish size for the 2 of us.

Any recommendations around £60 before I plump for a decathlon pop up?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’d stump up more and get a Vango Halo 200 – my wife and I use this lots, its been thru awful weather, always stable, dry, taught, no condensation to speak of, never feel cramped as we have two exits, porches and pockets each side. Doddle to put up – totally recommended wouldnt be without it. Even (especially?) for the odd one night one surely deserves a good night with no nasty surprises/ hasty decamps owing to (too) cheap gear?

matt_outandabout

You can get some ace, barely used tents on ebay.

I would look for good brand, good owner and condition…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*NB we use thinnish self inflating thermal sleep mats which leave bags of space – if used a big blowup lilo bed (never again! ) would prob get the 300 to accomodate. Although airbeds always rob the headroom in smaller tents whatever..

smurfly13
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion, we already have therma rests so that’s no issue.

Will see what i can get that for, brand new is a little beyond our budget for a second tent

globalti
    Free Member

I really would not recommend a festival tent from your local ASDA, they are garbage; no wonder people throw them away. Mrs Gti insisted we bought one and on the first outing a seam separated, it leaked and the carry case zip fell apart.

Bregante

Apologies for the slight hijack but I’m in the market for a cheapish two man tent for weekends away with the youngest. We already have a family tent so this will be used very occasionally. Any thoughts on the Vango Soul? (They do a Two and a three person version for £40 odd)

MadBillMcMad

Bregante,
    Not used one but been eyeing up the Soul 100 as a one man tent.

For the money they look very good value. Here at Winfields for £45.00

Bregante

£37.50 at outdoor world (postage is free if you “need” anything else to take your spend over £50)

http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=van+go+soul+100

Got to be worth a punt, surely?

matt_outandabout

If it is like the Vango Beta tents I had to buy in a hurry as three at work were destroyed, not *that* bad.
    They had glass poles (lasted less than a season under clumsy shmuck DofE kids), they had woven groundsheets (lay binbags on the inside in really wet weather) and the outer can sag some when it wets out (be fussy about pitching tight). Other than that, they were great, and survived a couple of big blowy nights on highland loch beaches alongside ‘posh’ tents just fine.

smurfly13
    Free Member

The Soul 300 looks good. £60 from Millets!

Must be better than decathlon pop up!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a tent on a budget…’ is closed to new replies.