Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Recommend me a super plush, nice, mile munching car.
  • weeksy

As you may recall, next year I’ve got a family trip with the wife/boy.

We’re going to end up putting 2500 miles or so in the car over the course of 2 weeks, although only really 4 possibly 5 days of driving.

I currently have a 2007 Civic I-shift auto, which is nice enough, comfy enough I guess, but is quite road noisy and although a reasonable place to spend time, it doesn’t feel ‘plush’ really in many ways.

So I ideally want something that’s going to cruise through the miles and leave us feeling fresh as a daisy when we get there.

Part of the trip we’ve previously done in my 2010 plate Mondeo and it was a nicer place to be for this sort of trip, bit more leg room, etc, but it had a few mechanical issues that were getting expensive so it went. However something like a Mondeo isn’t off the list at all.

I’m thinking along the lines of an Audi A5. Something on a 2009 or so with 60-70k on it, which you’re looking about £10,000 to buy. My Civic only has 49,000 on it so is decent enough miles that I should see £3500-4000 back for it…

Other than the A5 though I really have no idea at all what’s good bad or indifferent in that sort of car.

Ideally I either want a petrol (with 35mph average minimum) or a non DMF type diesel. My last few cars have been petrol for this reason and if I can manage it again that would be good.

I owned a Honda CR-V which was lovely, but had the infamous squeaky clutch pedal that my dealer couldn’t fix, so went back. But I’m not sure it was massively more refined than the Civic in many ways.

Only other thing it must be able to do is have a towbar as I need to take motorbikes to racetracks.

So… what do you have guys ?

Tiger6791

So I ideally want something that’s going to cruise through the miles and leave us feeling fresh as a daisy when we get there.

Range Rover

wombat

Skoda Superb, comfy, surprisingly quick, inexpensive to buy and run, acres of rear legroom, massive boot, quiet on motorways.

I’ve got a 60 plate diesel and get 48/50 mpg. I gather petrol versions get high 30s/40 mpg

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Maserati

bikebouy
    Free Member

EClass Merc estate 320d or at a push the 220d.

You can end the thread right here, right now.

weeksy

bikebouy – Member

EClass Merc estate 320d or at a push the 220d.

You can end the thread right here, right now.

Yeah I’ve read that on the Topgear reviews, Honest John also says the BMW 3 series is better… but the reports are more about them being ‘drivers cars’ and TBF I couldn’t give a toss how the drive in that context, I have motorbikes for speed and handling, I just want ‘lovely’.

The BMW doesn’t do it for me at all in the aesthetics department, whereas the Merc and the Audi both do.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for the Superb, or take a chance on a high mileage Audi/Merc/BMW

momo

I think he means E320d or E220d, 3 litre angine or 2.1. I’d second this recommendation, drive a few E classes before I bought my Mondeo, if MrsMomo could get over her dislike of auto boxes and not having a handbrake you can haul on for setting off I’d be driving one now.

A5 wouldn’t be my choice for a comfy cruiser, at least it wouldn’t be based on owning a B8 A4 avant, limited rear legroom and audi suspension is not known for being especially compliant.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

56 plate S320.

2011 318i

Brother-in-law’s A8 is a wonderful place to sit. Brother’s A3 was harsh and bumpy. Not sure if the ride is softened as the models get larger but not sure an A5 is exactly right for what you describe.

Mondeos get a lot of love here and I thought ours (2 1/2 week hire car) was fab.

epicyclo

I’d hire a biggish van and stick the motorbike inside.

weeksy

epicyclo – Member

I’d hire a biggish van and stick the motorbike inside.

Motorbike is completely unrelated to this trip, that’s a day to day thing about 5-6 times a year taking them to track. So whilst a van would be GREAT for that… it’s overkill for 99% of the time and therefore not happening.

Jason
    Free Member

So… what do you have guys ?

A5 with a towbar. Although mine is a diesel Sportback version. Overall a pretty comfy car for long distance driving, probably get another one after this one. as mentioned above for more comfort look at the larger models A6, E Class or 5 series. And the Skoda Superb is a good call.

weeksy

May sound snobbish, but it’s not going to be a Skoda no matter how good they are.

funkrodent

Just gave back a Mercedes 220d that was my ex company car. Superbly comfortable, effortlessly quick, can’t recommend it highly enough. Would also second the Skoda Superb, very good value for a large family car that is essentially a VW

wwaswas

My 530D Tourer (6 speed auto) is the most relaxing long distance car I’ve ever owned. On quieter motorway and A road stretches the cruise control is good too.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Big Citroen.

angeldust
    Free Member

A5 sport back interior is a nice place to be imo. S-line suspension is hard, but you notice it around town, not when cruising. SE models noticeably softer. Cabin noise is good too, certainly much better than in a civic, or any Honda. Rear legroom only average. Would do the job, but If comfort is top priority there are more suitable choices.

wombat

“May sound snobbish, but it’s not going to be a Skoda no matter how good they are.”

Hey, it’s your loss 😉

Cougar

Why not stick with the Mondeo? I had one of a similar vintage, 2 litre diesel Titanium, and it was magnificent. It’s exactly what you describe.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would still say Mondeo, think you were unlucky with the one you had. Cant go wrong with Passat or Superb as above.

If you are going premium brand then a Merc for if you want a dull luxurious comfy car.

BMW if you want nice with a good drive, some people find them too twitchy (the exact reason why I dont like Mercs)

Not driven an A5 but all the stuff I have read on them suggests the ride is shocking. A4’s again not great on big alloys.

May sound snobbish, but it’s not going to be a Skoda no matter how good they are.

Sounds a bit stupid to be honest

angeldust
    Free Member

Get what you mean about Skoda, don’t expect folks on here to understand that though 🙄

angeldust
    Free Member

Big, comfy 4×4 would be my choice, but may not meet the rest of your criterior (diesel).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Another vote for a big Mondeo with decent engine and trim level.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Any decent sized <10 year old Volvo. Best seats in the business IMHO.
    Usually get a higher spec with all of Volvos safety gizmos and lower miles for less money than the equivalent BMW/Merc/Audi etc.

porter_jamie

Got to be a big old merc diesel auto. Wafty comfort.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agree on Volvo seats. So comfy!

weeksy

Cougar – Moderator

Why not stick with the Mondeo? I had one of a similar vintage, 2 litre diesel Titanium, and it was magnificent. It’s exactly what you describe.

Indeed I was a little unfortunate with the Mondeo. It split a coolant hose between the turbo and manifold which meant a ‘subframe off’ repair which cost me £800. I was also informed by the garage it was a new clutch in 10,000 or so and we had a DPF type warning coming up intermittently. I realised then it was going to get expensive over time. Other than that I really liked the car though.
    If I were to go for a Mondeo it would be a petrol version to keep away from the nasty DPF type issues.

But I’m far from against the Mondeo idea.

bikebouy
    Free Member

momo – Member
    I think he means E320d or E220d, 3 litre angine or 2.1.

Yeah, I mean the MERC E320d and E220d not BMW’s. I know its confusing with the badges but the MERC’s are what I’m on about.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If you can stretch a bit further then this is magnificent. Volvo V60 T6 AWD

One if the last 6 cyclinder Volvos. 304bhp, AWD enough toys and safety features.

weeksy

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Agree on Volvo seats. So comfy!

I was a little unlucky with an S60D5 I had, a few suspension niggles that got expensive along with juddery brakes we couldn’t seem to ever fix… Other than that though the S60 was a LOVELY place to be and a superb engine that’s for sure.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Another idea would be a Volvo. I had a V40 D4 Cross Country as a hire car, and it was really nice. Made progress, and a decent level of room. It was the Sat Lux level of trim i think.

…but then I am impressed by stuff like Volvo’s floating center console 😀

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got a 125d, don’t think for minute that 4 up and luggage is comfortable in a 220d!
    A5 is nice but very hard suspension in S line spec. Have you looked at a Passat?

Edit ahh, merc 220 not bmw 220 – that’s a very good shout.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Go for the Mondeo. My previous car was the MK3 and it took me down to Spain and back many times in complete comfort. Never once after driving all day did I get out of the car feel stiff from spending so much time driving.

toby1

I did a 2k mile road trip last September in my EP3 Civic which I expected to come back wanting to replace.

What I found was that French roads are better surfaced than UK roads in most instances and that the Civic was great fun overseas and not in the least bit uncomfy (it is a bit noisy on the road though). I was even getting up to 38 mpg on French toll roads compared with at best 35 on UK roads.

Aside from that I’ve never owned a grown up or sensible car (i.e. 5 door and with decent leg room) so I’m no help here, sorry!

Cougar

Get what you mean about Skoda, don’t expect folks on here to understand that though

Well, I don’t understand, for one. Have the forum have Audis and it’s the same bloody car. The Skoda Superb must be one of the ultimate motorway cruisers, it reminds me a bit of my old froggy Scorpio. I could’ve happily driven that thing to the moon and back.

wwaswas

I could’ve happily driven that thing to the moon and back.

You’d have wanted the climate control set to ‘recirculate’ for that.

Flaperon

My brother had an A5 and put 100k on it over three years driving across Europe.

Pros: It’s a nice place to sit, engine is good, goes quickly, entitles you to tailgate in Germany and has a bangin’ stereo for your tunes.

Cons: It’s really low down; the ride is rather firm; having to motor the seats forward to get people in the back is really annoying; and you’ll either love or loathe the Audi equivalent to iDrive.

The Range Rover will be fantastically comfortable but break down. Look at the Volvo range as others have suggested. My V60 is the only car that doesn’t give me backache on long trips.

somouk
    Free Member

I’d be looking at something like a Jaguar XF, merc or Volvo if you’re after comfort and cruising without too much fuss about performance.

BMWs tend to be noisier and have a firmer ride due to the run flats compared to their counterparts, Audis have firm suspension and thin tyres generally although the brand new A4 is meant to be amazingly refined.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

We have a “budget restricted” older relative with a very similar opinion, they could get a nice 3-5 year old Skoda, reliable, comfy, not too expensive to run, even with main dealer prices. But they insist on premium brands. So they buy a big 8-10 year old BMW/Jag/Merc instead, spend a fortune getting it tidied up so it looks newer, live with the main dealer costs for service and (semi frequent) repairs. Then complain (to me) because cars are expensive to run. Like i can do anything to fix it.

Get what you mean about Skoda, don’t expect folks on here to understand that though

You’ll have to explain to most of the auto industry as well. Skoda has gone from being a joke to being a serious player in virtually no time at all. 15 years ago they were competing with the budget brands, now they are starting to take business away from premium brands in some markets.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a super plush, nice, mile munching car.’ is closed to new replies.