Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Recommend me a sub £30 headset.
  • hazzeryoda
    Free Member

OK, a headset is just a headset, right? I’m not up for a King, I just want a decent headset for peanuts that will stand up to some XC abuse for a couple of years before I ping it in the bin and get something else…. Standard external bearing cups will do fine.
    Ta,
    H

reevil
    Free Member

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=33

Running one on my inbred. Have done so for 12 months. Took it apart today, for the first time as I’m changing the forks. Grease still clean, bearings still smooth.

I’ve been riding all winter on 20mile rides on the South Downs in the clag & clay & chalk & sh1t. Bearings went on my wheels-headset fine.

Impressed.

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

Very good call, was about to put an order in with Superstar for some other bits. Will give it some thought.

Also found this:
    http://www.buybikebits.co.uk/acatalog/FSA-Orbit-Equipe-11-8–128.html
    FSA Orbit Equipe, cheap and cheerful. Any thoughts?

H

kimbers

x2 post

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Cyclomonster.com aest, cartridge bearings, the one in my beater has held upba treat.

kimbers

FSA orbit XLII

mines been sweet for a couple of years

unlike the far more expensive raceface p.o.s. i had before

mboy
    Free Member

Superstar Headsets life can be measured in hours, rather than days/months/years from everyone I know who’s had one.

FSA XL2 is £17.95 delivered off ebay… Great headsets. Or spend a bit more, and get an FSA Orbit, or even an Orbit Extreme Pro.

FWIW, there’s a 20.5″ Genesis Altitude 853 frame in the classifieds at the moment… 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-genesis-altitude-20-853-frame-xl-205

james
    Free Member

Have a look on on-one for something FSA
    They had some orbit MX’s (lighter than XLIIs) on not that long ago for £20. Else I had one from merlin a while back for £25

bigbloke
    Free Member

FSA Orbit XL2 or MX used and using both , very good in my opinion.

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

Any experience with the cheapo FSA Orbit Equipes?

mboy
    Free Member

I just want a decent headset for peanuts that will stand up to some XC abuse for a couple of years before I ping it in the bin and get something else….

You could spend less than £20 on an XL2, which with its 2 year warranty, will do that just fine (and more probably).

Or you could buy one of these beauties, that at least used to always come with a 10 year warranty… http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/road-accessories/headsets/fsa-orbit-xtreme-pro-headset.html

I’ve been using them for a while, they’re as good as a King but a fraction of the price. Buy one, you won’t regret it, it will last a loooooooong time!

druidh
    Free Member

deano8
    Free Member

Another one for FSA Orbit MX
    Rutland Cycling have it for £19.99 instead of £50, lots of pretty colour too!

PTR
    Free Member

FSA XL11, mines been running for years, and I have the spare bearings ready to drop in if it ever wears out.

johnnystorm

Another happy Superstar user here. It’s on my SS beater so it’s only ever seen muddy rides. No problems, certainly not a lifespan measured in hours. 😉

hobbitfeet
    Free Member

I have a spare fsa extreeme pro headset I will sell for £20 if you are interested.

Very good headset as others have said

Email me thehobbitfeet@gmail.com if your interested 🙂

Tiger6791

Orbit X £25 at On.One with free delivery

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOX/fsa_orbit_x_headset

ratadog

Agree, a mixture of FSA orbits and Cane Creek S3/S8 in the shed – all seem to cope well and give 2-3 years plus.

Meltdown
    Free Member

Hi I have an orbit mx in red brand new I am selling, will do £25 posted?

PaulD
    Free Member

Whatever you buy, fill the lower bearing with grease and the whole lower assembly when you put it all together so it squeezes out.
    Fit a 30mm wide strip of chainstay protector neoprene over the lower bearing, with the fastener at the front. This stops the mud and grit getting in the bearing. Remove neoprene to clean and dry it after mucky rides. The result should be a headset that lasts for years without needing constant re-greasing. Works for me anyway…

PaulD

binners

I think FSA Orbit XK11’s are the last word in fit’em and forget’em. They last years of abuse without complaint. Unbelievable for the money!

drain

The Imperial ones work well, seem to be a lot like DiaCompe. Pretty colours too! 😳

Northwind

FSA, or if FSA isn’t cool enough for you then a cheap Cane Creek- won’t last as well as the FSA but will have Cane Creek written on it 😉

BrickMan

The quality of these things is amazing for the price.

+1
    Haven’t had one, and havent’ seen one till you posted that link. But go to the swan bearing catalogue and you would struggle to get the two bearings for that price, let alone the cups!

I’ve had the same headset for about 8years, was an OE internal fit FSA ??? something or other I got on a giant AC in about 2003, its hard about the hardest life of any headset ever, but I finally had to retire it last month after I changed to a frame that needed an external headset. Its still smooth as it was when new and has required precisely ZERO maintenance!

The thing on this new frame is WTB OE fit thing and has loose ball bearings which I’ve ignored and have eaten their own bearing races, my bad, but still, show’s the difference quite clearly I think!

So I’m also on the hunt for a new one, but it will be at the cheaper end of the scale, external, 1.1/8″ and sealed angular contact bearings or nothing.
    Loose balls are for road & track bikes*

*on any wooden track, AFAIK all forms of grease are banned. Hubs, headsets, chains and BB’s are all run dry aside a few drops per ride of machine oil (as this can be cleaned off the track). And if you have a good one, the smooth’ness and friction is crazy awesome

mboy
    Free Member

It’s silly cheap…

Count the number of posts above, all saying “the FSA XL2 is a great headset than can be had for under £20”, then answe your own question! 😕

I’ve started to notice you have a habit of continuing to ask questions (and then usually ignore the advice) once they’ve already been answered more than satisfactorily…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve started to notice you have a habit of continuing to ask questions (and then usually ignore the advice) once they’ve already been answered more than satisfactorily…

mboy- what about you and this girl then. Did YOU listen to any of the advice? 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I bought an inbred frame that came with an FSA XL II headset. Lower bearing was just a big pile of rust. Admittedly I have no idea if the previous owner had replaced the bearing with an inferior one due to plain old wear and tear. I replaced it with a new genuine replacement one from Wiggle but then sold the frame so no idea if it lasted better.

I have a Superstar tapered headset in my C456. The lower sealing is pretty none-existent which is a shame – all they needed to do was make a labyrinth seal or add an o-ring/rubber lip which would have made it better but they do fit decent stainless bearings and I have just cleaned it out for the first time since last summer as it felt a bit gritty after a weekend at Afan and it’s back like new as it was just grit caught in the grease between the crown race and the cup/bearing face.

I believe the normal 1 1/8th headsets have better lower seals. You can also get spare crown races and bearings for the SS ones at reasonable prices unlike some makes.

andyl
    Free Member

oh and the Absolute Cycles link – great shop. Have bought a few bits off them and they deliver very quickly (mostly next day) and are very cheap.

BrickMan

^^ thats a good point, the quality of loose ball bearings varies wildly.

I bought a set of so called decent loose balls (came in a box rather than baggy) in an LBS for the bum tingling price of £7.50 for the pair. Within weeks the balls in the lower race had actually split in half (or smaller in some cases) which nearly wrote off the headset. Vs. £1.99 ebay posted jobs that have been on my hack/commute/work bike for about 18months, never cleaned, always left outside and are still fine.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a sub £30 headset.’ is closed to new replies.