• This topic has 41 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Recommend me a Stephen King novel please
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Never read any, and am intrigued, following the “Shining 2” publicity

tonyd

It

nbt

It *2. his best work

the Stand for a more sci-fi rather than outright horror

pop round, I’ve got a couple

scotroutes

The Stand. Find the full, unabridged edition.

fubar
    Free Member

Thinner always stuck in my head years after reading (and It).

[Edit] just remembered Misery as a good one too.

toppers3933
    Free Member

‘IT’ scared the shit out of me. took me ages to read.

I also quite liked ‘Insomnia’. Kept me up a few nights though.

tonyd

I was going to say The Stand as that’s one of my all time favorites, but for a proper introduction to SK it has to be proper scary!

I think It was the first one of his that I read and I was hooked for years. Most of his older stuff is great, the later stuff not so much I thought but could just have been my taste changing.

For Sci Fi type stuff also look at the Dark Tower (Gunslinger) series, 8 books IIRC. Very good but a slightly disappointing ending IMO.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Under the done is actually a brilliant read (nothing like the guffy tv rip off)

CaptJon
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    The Stand. Find the full, unabridged edition.

+1

spursn17
    Free Member

11/22/63. A bit different from his horror stuff as it has a time travel theme, I really liked it.

Salems Lot. Classic scary king, nothing like the crap tv series.

bigh
    Free Member

It, is great. Also loved Talisman, just started The shining just so i can read the new follow up

moniex
    Free Member

IT

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Christine, Firestarter. Lots of very good Stephen King out there, but stay away from the Dark Tower Series until you’re read a good few. In fact stay away from 11/22/63 for a while too.

Some short stories worth reading too. Hearts in Atlantis is worth reading. Stay away from Dark Tower as long as you can. It’s very good, but you need to be fairly embedded in your Stephen King to really appreciate it

and of course IT

djc1245
    Free Member

It was very good. I enjoyed Christine and Cujo

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

For Sci Fi type stuff also look at the Dark Tower (Gunslinger) series, 8 books IIRC. Very good but a slightly disappointing ending IMO.

I wouldn’t have though of Dark Tower as Sci-Fi. The ending is about the only ending there could be!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The stand was awesome when I was 17, dunno if it would be as good now. I’ll need to read it again and see.

dibboid
    Free Member

+1 for Christine. As with most all books it kicks the ass out of the film. 🙂

edit

samuri
    Free Member

IT, Dark Half, Christine.

The running man
    Thinner
    The long walk.

And of course, Rita Heyworth and Shankshaw redemption

mogrim

Another vote for “The Stand”, reread it this summer and it was excellent.

Not sure I’d vote for Misery – it’s one of those (few?) cases where the film is better than the book.

Enjoyed “The Tommyknockers” when I read it, but that was a long time ago – not sure how well it’s aged.

restless
    Free Member

Pet Cemetary was my first 😀

fubar
    Free Member

Not sure I’d vote for Misery – it’s one of those (few?) cases where the film is better than the book.

I’m probably remembering the film so yes I’d like to retract Misery from the list

rwc03
    Free Member

Another recommendation for IT, one of the great modern novels.

Started to watch the film the other day, could only get 10 minutes in, acting was average and looks very dated now. Would be intrigued to see it as a full length TV series but not sure it’s filmable.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i also really enjoyed The Shining.

tonyd

I wouldn’t have though of Dark Tower as Sci-Fi.

Yes good point, I just wasn’t sure how to classify it. It’s certainly not his standard fayre. I’d also agree to stay away until you’re sold on his writing.

Whatever you read, pay attention. There are quite often very slight (and sometimes not so slight) references to other stories/characters thrown in. It helps to understand the link sometimes, although is by no means essential.

Lawn mower man is another good short story, totally different to the film.

nedrapier

Nightmares and Dreamscapes is a great collection of short stories.

pondo

Surprised at all the love for It, it’s a long way from the top of my list. If you’ve not read any od his stuff before, I think Different Seasons is a good place to start, Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemption and The Body are fantastic and accessible, as well as being amazing films. Loved The Stand, Christine, Pet Cemetary, Thinner, Skeleton Crew, but he went a bit overblown in tne nineties, for my money

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I thought Christine was excellent, then really disappointed by the film. The Bachman Books I also enjoyed (short stories), especially The Long Walk (I think that’s what it’s called). NB: I’m not into scary

I was also enjoying some similar Dean R. Koontz around this period, one based around subliminal messaging springs to mind

samuri
    Free Member

The long walk and running man both came from the same drug session I expect. 😉

garage-dweller

Desperation

The shining is fine but if you want something that makes you uncomfortable I would recommend the above.

Rich_s

Green Mile.

crankboy
    Free Member

Stand by me

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Stand by me

??

Was The Body rereleased as that?

scotroutes

Yes

smcicr
    Free Member

I think it really depends on what the OP likes ultimately.

If you want brilliantly created and detailed worlds with very nicely written characters that you can lose yourself in then I think The Stand / IT are good suggestions. Possibly Talisman / Black House in there too but they aren’t solo SK efforts.

There are some excellent collections of short stories if you want a quicker fix.

I’d agree that there is some ‘shlock’ in his catalogue – Pet Semetary potentially falling into that.

I actually found Under the Dome very disappointing in terms of the ending but it is another example of how well he can build a believable world for the reader.

Also – do you want overtly scary or more thoughtful / considered frights?

I guess I’d also say hold off the Dark Tower until you read a few others. It is an extraordinary series for me both in content and in terms of how interwoven it is / many other books are to it (depending on your POV). I say ‘I guess’ because I love it and want to share it with people but you do get more from it if you read others first. There is a site somewhere that will tell you which books to read when if you’re just starting the DT series (8 books now and 1 short story – The Little Sisters of Eluria although only the first 7 are ‘key’ ;D).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Then there are the Dark Tower Marvel Comics too!

yorlin
    Free Member

No one talks about the Dark Tower embarrassment. Talking dogs, gun-shooting knights and possibly the killer Thomas the Tank Engine…. 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Wooosh!

earl_brutus

Dolores claibourne is good read

crankboy
    Free Member

The Body. I did read it before I saw the film .

ohnohesback
    Free Member

His early works collected in The Bachman Books. And Cell.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Stephen King novel please’ is closed to new replies.