Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a SS chainring for HT2 cranks
  • timbur
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a SS chainring for HT2 cranks as I’m struggling to find one that sits “true” without sitting pissed and creating tight spots.

Cheers

Tim

(tried Blackspire and Goldtech so far)

saladdodger
    Free Member

surley stainless steel lasts forever

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh.

I’ve got a Blackspire and it’s fine…..

🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I’ve got an on-one S/S one you could pop round and try if you want tim…

timbur
    Free Member

Cheers Luke. I might just do that as the ones I’ve tried don’t sit “tight” on the cranks and offer a bit of movement, therefore creating tight spots :o(

I’m mobile again so could drop the wheel truing stand around if you still want to play with it?

PP – maybe it was just the one I had

Saladogger – I’m sure it does but does it work with HT2 well?

wwaswas

that would be great Tim – finally ordered the spokes just today, funnily enough…

let me know when suits you – I’m here most days (although the rest of this week is looking a bit fraught…)

evenings are mostly fine though if that fits in with your workign better.

timbur
    Free Member

It’ll be next week as Mon/Tues are my days off now.

I’ll email when I know what’s what.

Tim

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tim, mine’s a Blackspire downhill ring, if that makes any difference? I only bought it because it was cheap and it’s been brilliant. Hardly any wear at all…

wwaswas

ok – thanks.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

E13 guide ring?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have had the surley chainring on my ht11 chainset for about 4 years no problem what so ever

It works

iirc both del and tim41 use the same

timbur
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll try lining my Goldtec up again and if not I’ll splash some cash.

Del

hey Andy, long time no see.

to the OP, i don’t think it’s unusual to have a bit of room for manoeuvre, so if you want to eliminate any ‘egg-shapedness’ you’ll have to have the bolts just nipped, rotate the cranks, and then tap the ring. in other words when you find a tight spot, tap the front of the ring towards the back of the bike, rotate the crank a bit further, and see if it goes tight again, and repeat, until you have the thing sat evenly all the way around.
    TBH i never bothered with mine ( surly ), accept the chain goes a little bit loose and tight, and just make sure when i tension the chain that it doesn’t get too tight in the tight bit.

Clink

SJS cycles own brand ones or Surly

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Surley stainless steel are really nice, run one on my P7 SS. You will find there will pretty much always be a slightly tighter section so just ensure that you tension the chain based on that point. With a proper SS chainring & rear cog you will have nice deep teeth so even if it goes a bit loose it won’t come off.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

e-thirteen guide ring for me.
    Light, true and wear very well.

qwerty
    Free Member

i run a Goldtec DH 9spd ring, had to chop a bit out to make it fit properly, works fine

MrTall
    Free Member

1/8th singlespeed specific Goldtech 34t for me on a HT11 XT crank. No problems at all (running a bash ring too).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a SS chainring for HT2 cranks’ is closed to new replies.