Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a solid ‘All mountain’ rim…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just bought an Enduro SL which came with DT XR 4.2D rims, I’m feeling these are just a bit too narrow/light weight for this bike esp. with 2.3-2.5″ tyres… So I’m thinking of replacing them with something a bit more burly (reusing the existing hubs though).

Any thoughts on a good solid proper AM rim, hopefully still nice and light? I was thinking the Stans ZTR flow perhaps? Or maybe DT EX 5.1d’s?

Cheers 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve got some WTB Dual Duty FR that have seen very little use (built up as a 20mm front wheelset atm)

that said I’d go for mavic 8xx

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Sun Singletrack?

I_Ache
    Free Member

521s much better than those DT swiss cheese things. Sell the 4.2s now and you will get a decent return on them or ride with them so you can moan about them folding and ruining your ride!

WackoAK
    Free Member

What about a Mavic 819? You’d then have the option for going tubless should you want to.

psychle
    Free Member

forgot to mention, would probably prefer a UST rim as I’ve had two blingin pinchflats in the past week (I’m not the gentlest of riders 🙂 )

MrAgreeable

5.1Ds are good, light and can take 2.5″ tyres but dent quite easily. The set on my hardtail are still going strong after 2-3 years but the newer ones on my Bullit picked up some pretty good size dings in the Alps last year.

psychle
    Free Member

I have a set of Mavic 819’s on CK hubs (btw, they’ll be up for sale soon if anyone’s interested 🙂 ) These were on my Yeti ASR and I’ve never had problems with them… maybe I should just stick with what I know 🙂

xc-steve
    Free Member

Hey Psychle could be interested, give me a mail, Stephen.Hodge@plymouth.ac.uk

I_Ache
    Free Member

MrAgreeable I have a 5.1 in the boot of my car with a dent like that but a little bigger. The whole sidewall was folded right over flat. I was running ghetto tubeless so god knows how the tyre stayed on!

steve_b77
    Free Member

DT 5.1’s or Mavic 321’s

richc
    Free Member

If it was me, I would be getting Stans Flow or Arch rims or 819’s.

keavo
    Free Member

flow, arch or 819’s, as above. have used them all, flows are probably what you need for the width. stans rims are easier to seat tyres (tubeless) than the 819’s. arch are the weakest of these 3.

psychle
    Free Member

Yep, I’m thinking the Stans flow might be the way to go (hey, that rhymes 🙂 ) hmmmm… just looking at these, I’ll need to use rim strips with them? At least with the 819’s I wouldn’t need this… decisions decisions 🙂

keavo
    Free Member

you’ll only need the yellow tape, thats what i use without any rubber rim strips. i think thats (rim strips) for non stans rims, but you can use it if your tyre is loose on rim. yellow tape is cheap, light easy to fit, i’ve had no problem with it.

MrAgreeable

I_Ache, that happened during the Mega qualifier last year and weirdly I didn’t even pinch flat. People slate 5.1s for being soft but I dunno, I think it’s a choice between something beefier or something made of harder alloy but which is more likely to crack than dent.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Anyone used 719s? Are they pretty much the same as 819s but not tubeless?

Just had a look at the arch and flow rims…they’re like £65 each!

psychle
    Free Member

yeah, they’re not cheap are they! cheapest I can find is rutland cycling for £55… they say 2008 rim though, I wonder if there’s any difference between th ’09 version?

keavo
    Free Member

719’s are about the same width as 819’s, a bit lighter not as strong. i never had to touch my 819’s but the 719’s needed occasional truing.

kimbers

not used 819s but my 719s are excellent width and get trued once a year and get much abuse

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bloody hell MrAgreeable you managed the mega on them you must be a much lighter/better rider than me I was only at Cannock Chase DH course!

MrAgreeable

7″ travel, 2.5″ dual ply DH tyres and I was mincing like a good ‘un. 😉

orange
    Free Member

mavic 819’s or stan flows – dt swiss rims are too soft and can be a faff fitting certain tyres

nickc

Probably not what you want to hear, but most of a wheel’s strength is down to spoke tension, and not a lot down to rim construction. Some of the more robust rims would probably be a bit better at surviving a head on slam into a rock, but TBH whatever will break/ding your 719 will probably do for a 321/5.1 as well.

bomberman
    Free Member

EN321’s or 819’s for tubeless

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a solid ‘All mountain’ rim…’ is closed to new replies.