Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Recommend me a smart phone?!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

So after having several cheap budget Nokias over the last ten years or so, Ive decided its finally time to step it up and own a decent phone. The main things I would look for on a phone would be a good camera, loads of apps (do some apps not work on some phones?), internet browsing, GPS/maps, and I would like to also use it to listen to music.. as well as using it as an actual phone too.

Been looking at the new Nokia Lumias, also really like the Samsung Galaxy range, and the iPhone of course. Don’t really have a clue if I want to go Apple or Winders or iOS or what not, don’t really know any major pros or cons between them all??

The new Galaxys would be out of my price range unless I got a good deal or found one pre owned.

Thanks!

grim168
    Free Member

My galaxy s2 is slowly going knackered. I’m leaning towards a nexus 4 as they are on offer at the moment.

jacob46
    Free Member

ive got s4 but ive had the nexus 4 and you cant go wrong with that for the money.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I do very much like the look of the S4.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bump! 🙁

mekon
    Free Member

Love me galaxy s4 but wouldn’t so much if I had small hands.

New nexus and gs5 coming out soon so maybe worth a wait to get them or better deals on the older phones.

Depends on what you intend to use it for and if you use other apple or google services. Im a big Google maps, docs user so Android was the best choice for me.

loddrik
    Free Member

Iphone. Android is shite. Every time I’ve bought an android phone (had and S2, S3 & S4) I’ve found them too fiddly, slow and big. Getting back to an iphone afterwards is a huge relief.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Android has choice on size shape and budget. Lots out there. The os is mature and we’ll thought out. From the box it’s good but what each manufacturer adds in help make it better. Samsung and HTC do things slightly different.

Throw in adding extra storage for 10% of the price apple charge and it’s good value too.

Most apps will run on Android and ios windows is a little behind. The thing to remember is it’s not about the size of the app store but the quality. Most apps are either crap, pointless or just the same as bookmarking a web page – or a combination.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Anyone else?

unovolo
    Free Member

Windowsphone(Lumia) for me ,does what you want it to with no fuss.

I appreciate some will prefer the Jesus Phone and other Android ,funny how no one mentions Blackberrys in these threads any more.

Best bet is go and play with some and see which interface you like best,this is what I did and why I came away with a Windowsphone.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m tempted by the nokia1020 (64gb on O2) rather than my usual upgrade to the next jesusphone (currently have a 5), however I did swear I’d never buy another nokia after the hat of shit that was the n97

lexinoo
    Free Member

Unless you want all the latest apps,the Nokia lumias are the best in my experience/opinion.My lumia 920 is faster ,smoother,clearer,and has a much better camera than my wife’s nexus 4,and the off line satnav and Nokia music are brilliant.However,if its apps your after ,go with an android or iphone.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So what apps can the Lumia not get? I’ll mainly be wanting skype and whatsapp. Maps and GPS too…

Coyote
    Free Member

If you want a budget smartphone you could do worse than check out the Acer Liquid E2.

scoob67
    Free Member

Galaxy S3 mini. £17 , O2 monthly. Great wee phone for that money.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

michaelmcc – I think the only one missing off that list is Skype. I bet that won’t be for long either.

They are great bits of kit for the dosh.

lexinoo
    Free Member

Skype is there already,never tried it but i have got it on my 920,there are a lot less games than on android and iphone,and apps such as strava,instagram etc are missing but there are equivalent 3rd party apps that do the same job.It doesn’t bother me too much as a good camera,music,maps and browser are the main things for me,however just be aware that some apps are missing.My wife didn’t want a windows phone because it doesn’t have candy crush!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

iPhone – I took a long time to move from Blackerry (email was important) and I tried an Android phone (which was awful but to be fair it was the hardware) but once on iPhone I now wouldn’t consider anything else (currently on a 4S) 5’s still available and with 5S and 5C coming out you should see some used ones (make sure they are properly and officially unlocked though) second hand phone and payg from someone like 3 mobile can be a great combination.

The market leaders are iPhone (iOS) and Android, I wouldn’t advise anything else, IMO windows isn’t in the same league.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Why?

lexinoo
    Free Member

Yeah why?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

My wife didn’t want a windows phone because it doesn’t have candy
    crush!!!

I can gladly say I’ve never played that! 😀

iPhone – I took a long time to move from Blackerry (email was important) and I tried an Android phone (which was awful but to be fair it was the hardware)

Thats not really comparing like with like though as you said yourself! What about comparing an iphone to a Samsung Galaxy, I think that would be a fairer comparison?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Dont wanna go too budget but dont wanna go crazy either. Main things Im after is a good camera, social networking sites, general browsing (as the wifi in our house is so bad I think I’d be better off using data on a phone), and also skype and whatsapp. Would also like to use it for music but that isn’t a huge deal breaker.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Nothing Apple. Utter gash IME.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your E and O are in the wrong place on your keyboard kev 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Nothing Apple. Utter gash IME.

Why is that then ?

Lots of people seem to really like apple stuff.

I believe it’s actually rather popular.

Stoner
    Free Member

and 50% of the population have an IQ below 100 neal 😉

There’s no accounting for the idiocy of the masses…

Anyway, I’d, of course, recommend my own phone: the Nexus 4. My brother has been having some difficulties with his Samsung – random hardware freakery and the OS overlay isnt brilliant. SO he’s rooted it and put a “nexus” build of pure android on it and it’s excellent. Basically a Nexus 4 with a faster CPU.

But with a Nexus 4 on discount it’s a great VFM phone.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Money no object? Wait for Samsung Galaxy Note 3, out imminently I think.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Isn’t this what “phones for U” is for?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I asked a few moons ago and got the answer Nokia Lumia so weny for the 520. Cheap as chips does everything you need and Carphone Whorehouse are doing a dealv which adds a 7″ tablet which is more than you need.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@michaelmcc – if the wifi is bad in your house I’d address that, you can buy a range extender for £75 and/or try moving the router or upgrading it (IME the BT standard one is pretty average)

Of the people I know with smart phones the vast majority have iPhones (I would say 90%), on balance one friend just got an S4 and I do like the big screen but I would not move from iPhone unless Apple made some major screw up

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve had Samsung Galaxy’s, HTC desire’s and then a really nice windows phone.

Sadly the windows phone (the poshest one at the time) wouldn’t work with my car Bluetooth so I took it back.

I really didn’t want an IPhone but it seemed that that was the only option regarding Bluetooth. I did try a few pals in my car, all of which worked so sadly I returned the windows phone and swapped it for a 4s.

I have to say, the iPhone just works as it should. No lag like the Samsung or HTC, Bluetooth works flawlessly, it’s a joy to hold and use.

I didn’t want it originally but I’m glad I’ve got it now.

I hate ITunes though.mhorrible software IMO. With a laptop and a PC and working away I can only synch it with one computer which makes iTunes a pain for me.

Found something called copy trans that allows you to put music onto your i phone nice and easy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I like my 520 but I miss the flash LED [mostly as a torch]. Might be worth bearing in mind if you use that feature a lot.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from a long term iPhone user to Android. I bought an HTC One. Nothing majorly wrong with iPhones as far as I’m concerned but the move did very quickly highlight some failings in them. I really like my new phone but it is necessary to spend some time fine tuning things to get the best of it. That’s alright though, I quite like messing with tsuff which is what the iPhone won’t let you do.

If you want something to just work seamlessly and don’t want to piss about with things then the iPhone is for you.
    If you like playing with things to get them just how you want, try Android. the HTC One is very nicely put together, as well as the iPhone, but it has a much bigger screen. It’s just as fast, camera is brilliant, music sounds great.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nexus 4 for £200 and a 30 day rolling contract on the network provider of your choice. Virgin VIP package is an absolute steal.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you want something to just work seamlessly

I dont get how that doesnt apply to an Android phone. Just because it is customisable doesnt mean it doesnt fully work straight out of the box. Especially if you have a google account: New phone, login your email address&pw, all your contacts, emails, music, photos, files, videos etc are there for you.

samuri
    Free Member

It depends on where you’re coming from. You’re right though, if you already have a google account with your life in it, things will probably work quite nicely from the off. if you’re coming from apple-land or some crazy place that pre-dates smart phones, android is a little (not a lot) slower than apple IME. Still nothing major.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d probably go for a Nexus 4 at the minute as they’re pretty cheap. I have an S3 and it’s nice but wish I’d saved myself some money and bought the Nexus 4. I may root it at some point to see what that’s like.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

After talking to the guys in a few different phone stores, I think I’ll go for the SIII mini

richmtb

Samsung X Cover 2 is the answer to anyone who uses their phone outdoors

It based on a Galaxy Siii so is reasonably fast too

Video is in Danish I think but you get the idea.

Cement mixer test is particularly impressive
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjtdS8p8Vw0[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a smart phone?!’ is closed to new replies.