Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a single speed kit and tensioner
  • thatscold
    Free Member

As above, I've looked at On One and Superstar Components. Also, where do I get spacers to allow me to use the 32t middle ring only on a three ring crank set (it's a shimano square taper if that makes any difference?)

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Spacers – cannibalise an old cassette.

An old rear mech worked way better than the surley I used, mind you I sold it on at nearly RRP on ebay due to the proliferation of folk sucked in by the concept!

thatscold
    Free Member

I forgot, what chain do people use for SS? Do you need a specific one, or can I just use an old 9 speed that I have lying around?

BigJohn

I use spacers from 2 old cassettes – an 8 spd and a 9 spd with different thicknesses so I can get the chainline exact (and have stripy yellow/black effect).

8spd chain is a bit stronger but not much and an unramped chainring and sprocket will be better but not essential.

I use a DMR Tension Seeker (always in push up mode) and have never used a half link.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1/8 chain pretty much avoids need for unramped & expensive chainrings.

May or may not be stronger than 8/9s ones, has worked fine for me.

Don't use a worn chain.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Charlie the bikemonger does a kit with chain, gussett tensioner, sprockets and chainring bolts so you can use your current middle ring.
    And I got a lolly which is always nice!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

FireEye make some nice anodised spacer kits that come with two different sized sprockets so you can experiment with ratios for £20.
    KMC 8 speed chain is cheap and strong.
    I've never heard of anyone (other than cynic-al) having trouble with a Surly tensioner.

Edit:
    Singlespeed chainring bolts are available from Stronglight (chromed), Brand X (anodised) and probably many others

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Try the classifieds- thats where I got my spacers.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

As above: Charlie the Bikemonger is your best friend on this one

thatscold
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I've had a look on Charlie's website and there is some useful information there.

Nick

Tensioners are crap really, if you're incredibly luckly like me you might pick up a built up rear wheel on a White Ind eno concentric hub for 70 quid.

BigJohn

I think tensioners are better than EBBs or Sliding dropouts. They never go wrong if you set them up right; they don't mess with the geometry of your frame and it only takes 90 mins to put the gears back on if you want to take your Soul to the Lakes or Peak.

I've been riding geared frames singlespeed for 8 yrs and have never wanted to change. Only problem I've ever had is catching my shorts once on the cable stop.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a single speed kit and tensioner’ is closed to new replies.