Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a single ring road chainset
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My SS road / hack / commute bike needs a new BB and chainset. I’m thinking Shimano with HT2, but I don’t want to upset the chainline.

Any thoughts?

For the record, the bike is a Genesis Skyline / Ridgeback Solo with an ISIS BB (its third) which has died: http://road.cc/content/review/2590-ridgeback-solo-world

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chainsets are chainsets, they all work, factors are weight, chainring cost/availability and bb durability.

For longevity I’d go ST (so you can play with chainline)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

ST would make altering the chainline a damn sight easier.

Not checked availability for donkeys years though – that can be my next Google search.

Saccades
    Free Member

Alfine?

That’s what I did when I got sick of the isis BB dying on me. Has a bit of a trouserguard going on but looks brand new after 5 years of use.

In fact I have a spare floating around the shed but postage from Ireland probably wouldn’t be worth it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sugino make a nice looking one I think

tragically1969
    Free Member

Just put one of these on my work hack, its fine, with a nexus SS chain it was around £14 delivered…..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-nexus-nx75-chainset/rp-prod118714

egb81
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack but what’s the biggest single ring I can use on an MTB triple in the middle space? I’m running 34t 1×10 on my commuter at the moment but totally undergeared when the road points down.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

biggest is whatever the biggest 4-bolt ring someone makes.

I just run a 110BCD chainset with a single ring on the inner position and a lightweight BBG bash on the outer, The ring was a Surly stainless until recently but I’m now on a Doval. Chainline is fine. ST is fine but HT2 is stiffer (this has been done before…) and there are loads of cheap HT2 chainsets out there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a single ring road chainset’ is closed to new replies.