Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a… shock pump
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m currently using an old Trek / Wrench Force pump (that looks like Fox and RockShox branded variants too) which lets out an arbitrary amount of air when releasing from the shock – a bit annoying when you’re trying to set pressure to within 10 psi. Shock is a Fox RP3 and I tend to set around 180psi.

Anyone used anything that either limits or avoids this, or is just generally a good shock pump? Or am I hunting for a tyre that grips on wet roots?

mcnultycop

It’s probably not letting out air from the shock, all pumps do this it’s the pump itself.

I use a £15 Beto one from eBay. As good as anything.

walla24
    Free Member

it’s not actually dumping air from the shock, it’s just the air escaping from the shock pump hose (the schraeder valve on the shock only ‘opens’ when the pressure on the outside- ie the pump exceeds the pressure on the inside – the shock)

the fox ones are very durable

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as above…

Speeder

So long as the pin disengages completely from the valve stem before air bleeds out from between the threads all will work as it should. I’m not convinced they do and neither is DT-Swiss (or several other companies that rebrand the same device) which is why their shock pump has a release on the coupling

DT Swiss shock pump

I’ve not found one at a price I’m willing to pay but I have to admit to not looking very hard and just add a couple of psi each time .

Big-Pete
    Free Member

As above, but with regard to your question Marzocchi is in a different class to all the rest.
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/467/marzocchi-high-pressure-shock-pump?variantId=1244&gclid=CPP44O_3vcQCFWfJtAodYFMAlw

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That just looks like the 4 I’ve got in my tool box with an extra sticker on it…

Best advice is to have a High one for shocks and a low one for forks, better accuracy (same assumptions about the loss not coming from the fork/shock)

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have that marzocchi one but without the marzocchi sticker and it was £20 from lbs not £42 from leisure lakes. It does fine with really high pressures (i am sure i have had pressures in the very high 200’s out of it over the years). Only issue is its quite a bit longer than the other generic one that you seem to get with new forks (if you are the sort that takes a pump with them on the trails for trailside adjustments to new bike/fork) and you have to get a good grip on it once you are up to really high pressures. I like it though, i would buy another for £20 (but not that marzocchi one for £42 😯 )

medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve got the Halfords one. Bombproof.

The only glitch is that in order to screw the hose properly onto the valve I need to turn the whole pump – not just the hose… 8)

Northwind

I always recommend beto, you can get them cheap under various brands and they work better than most. But not sure if the OP needs a new pump or not tbh.

benpinnick

Any air release (though as said most is from the pump) from the valve is pretty irrelevant if you use the same pump all the time, as it is relative. Losing xPSI everytime doesn’t make a blind bit of difference as long as its the same xPSI. The ‘zocchi pump above is the same manufacturer as the Trek one you had, as well as RS/Fox/XF etc. so there’s little or nothing to choose between them. The only thing you might consider is maybe a Lezyne shop, or an Airace Digital (Sold under many guises) pump, as both of these have much more precision to the display, allowing you to really fine tune the pressure. Cost you £40-£50 mind!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Best advice is to have a High one for shocks and a low one for forks, better accuracy (same assumptions about the loss not coming from the fork/shock)

Yeap – fork is fine. It’s the smaller air can and fiddlier access of the shock that’s the issue.

It’s probably not letting out air from the shock, all pumps do this it’s the pump itself.

it’s not actually dumping air from the shock, it’s just the air escaping from the shock pump hose (the schraeder valve on the shock only ‘opens’ when the pressure on the outside- ie the pump exceeds the pressure on the inside – the shock)

That’s what I initially thought / hoped, but I’m not convinced after several sessions trying to set shock pressure, and getting different results each time depending how long it took to remove the pump from the shock valve. The pump itself is over 10 years old so I don’t mind relegating it to backup duties.

Has to be said, that DT Swiss looks like it has the same body as the pump I already have (and Bike Hut, Fox, RockShox, Airwave…) 😉 BUT that connector looks interesting.

After a bit of searching, this looks like an interesting alternative to try as well: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-pressure-rite-connector/

Does anyone have any experience of one?

The only thing you might consider is maybe a Lezyne shop, or an Airace Digital (Sold under many guises) pump, as both of these have much more precision to the display, allowing you to really fine tune the pressure.

Thanks – I’ll have a look-see.

Cost you £40-£50 mind!

After looking at the cheaper option above…!

mtbtom
    Free Member

I saw this one in action over the summer (assuming I’ve found the right one). It’s got a twin action on the valve that lets you release the valve ‘pin’ before you break the air seal on the shock.

Was impressed (for a shock pump!), it seemed well engineered.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-msp-suspension-pump/rp-prod72640

Northwind

Maybe it’s just me but every time I see a shock pump that makes a big deal out of lossless removal, I just assume they’re on the make, every fit for purpose shock pump does that. It’s like writing a paragraph of ad blurb on round tyres.

benpinnick

Or you could possibly save loads of money by buying a no loss nitrogen valve extender. The sort that sells for a couple of quid on ebay. They work on pressure not a pin, meaning air loss should be minimal as they should close instantly as you remove the pump. Not tried this myself mind, but for a couple of quid why not give it a punt?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…every fit for purpose shock pump does that.

I previously assumed this too, but you know what they say about assumptions. 🙁

Was impressed (for a shock pump!), it seemed well engineered.

Was looking at that on ebay too. Seems there’s a few more expensive pumps that use a similar system, so it’s quite possibly something companies feel need addressing (either that or feel the need to develop to keep up with the Jones’ / push in marketing to show an obvious difference for money spent).

Or you could possibly save loads of money by buying a no loss nitrogen valve extender. The sort that sells for a couple of quid on ebay.

Cheers Ben – I’ll have a look.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a… shock pump’ is closed to new replies.