Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a share dealing company/website for dummies.
  • jekkyl

A few of us at work are thinking of having a go at making some money by buying and selling shares, maybe investing £100 each to start with, about 5 of us. Can anyone recommend a site with a good service & reasonable charges that is simple to operate?
    many thanks.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/investor/

It uses Trustnet but may be a bit simpler and cheaper.

Here’s a sample page from Trustnet…

http://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factsheet.aspx?fundCode=GTINC&univ=U

If you know what you want to know, it’s probably there…

scandal42
    Free Member

My advice would be to leave well alone, unless it’s a bit of a laugh type thing as I can’t see much upside at those levels.

I have always used X-O for execution only dealing as the costs are low as long as you aren’t constantly moving it around.

footflaps

It’s going to cost you about £10 a trade, so you need to be making 10% just to cover the costs per transaction….

stumpy01

I used to use iii.co.uk.

As above though, the transaction costs at those levels will quickly wipe out your profits.
    I reckon a min of £200 each if there are 5 of you.

It’s quite good fun, but personally I would only stake money that I was quite happy to lose completely. If you make some money all well & good, but it makes it a lot less stressful if you have already mentally written that money off.

stumpy01

Oh, and it might be worth having a look at some starter books.
    Everyone recommended The Naked Trader when I was looking into it. Worth a read, I reckon.

Some websites let you set up accounts and you can add share to your portfolio, that are really just an imaginary set-up. So, you can pretend to ‘trade’ and see how you get on before actually spending any money – bit boring though, to be honest without any of your hard earned riding on it.

pjbarton
    Free Member

I use Halifax as it lets me deal internationally – done well out of apple over the years

sharkbait
    Free Member

“share dealing” & “dummies”

Spot on ^ 🙂

As already said, you need to have pretty big sums of money to play with if you want to make some money otherwise the transaction fees will eat it away.
    Nothing wrong with it just don’t expect to become rich – Bit of fun though.

footflaps

Also be aware that Equities are at an all time high right now (in the US and UK), as they’ve just risen for 6 years straight. So you’re buying at the top of the market……

stumpy01

pjbarton – Member

I use Halifax as it lets me deal internationally – done well out of apple over the years

Is that due to the success of Magners/Bulmers and all those other pub-friendly ciders??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a share dealing company/website for dummies.’ is closed to new replies.