• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IanB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a sewing machine…
  • IanB
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure which forum to post this in, but I concluded that it is partially bike related.

My better half is handy with a sewing machine and the one we have is a hand-driven Pfaff from circa 1905 (seriously). It still works fine, but it struggles to sew some of the thicker or multiple layers of outdoor fabrics, tape, zips etc for homemade gear, frame bags and the like.

Is anyone else doing stuff like this, and if so, what machine are you using?

Cheers,

Ian

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

The missus just replaced her aging and increasingly problematic Toyota with a Brother MS6NT, seems really pleased with it.

Has quite lot of computerised special stitches which I imagine would be good for the sort of stuff you want to do.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Singer, my Mum was a seamstress, and thats what she used all her life. God rest her sole

teagirl
    Free Member

Janome, they are widely available and parts are cheap. They are easy to use especially if you don’t get the computer sort. I’ve had one for 18yrs, no probs. I’ve just repaired a horse blanket with it, multiple layers if fabric, tape etc, no sweat!

ourmaninthenorth

The person to ask on here is bunnyhop – she’s a professional sewist.

We have been given my mother’s old Brother. I keep meaning to learn how to use it. Any sewing I do is clumsy manual repairs of biking items

sweepy
    Free Member

I hear good things about Husquavana sewing machines (? spelling- the chainsaw people)

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 18yrs

Older seem to be tougher. The advice I was given was to get a metal-bodied machine as they are stronger / heavier duty. I do want an old commercial machine, but no room to put it 🙁

CHB

Get an old singer, thats what we have, cost £25 and is hewn from granite.

Trout (of the light fame) was posting on here that he had one to give away last week. But he might have given it away to some southerner.

😉

trout
    Free Member

Yep an old singer has been snapped up by elfinsatety when he can collect it .

uplink
    Free Member

My missus says that an old 80s Singer is about as good as it gets without spending silly money
    They weigh a ton mind

she was running them all day every day when she used to make wedding dresses, they rarely break or jam up

She also has a newish [10yr old] one that isn’t bad but not as good as the 80s ones

boblo
    Free Member

Sole? Or Soul?

IanB
    Free Member

Thanks all – lots of suggestions. I think old Singer’s seem to have the most votes. I’ll do some more googling…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a sewing machine…’ is closed to new replies.