Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend Me A Seatstay Mountable Rear Light For Commuting
  • prawny

Morning all.

Currently running a pair of Smart Lunar R2s on my seatstays currently, but with the rain on Monday the one is being temperamental.

I bought a set of the Moon knock offs from Aldi too on Sunday which I thought were ok, but the battery hasn’t quite lasted a day and a half on flashing, which is no good.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent, waterproof, seatstay mountable, bright rear lights with a battery that will last at least a full week without charging (13-14 hours, max)

I use a Carradice SQR bag so seatstay mounting is out, as are saddle rail mounts. The bag covers them completely.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If its the moon comet replica you have bought then the battery life is only around 3 hours on the lowest setting. If they have any left try the aluminium (nebular copy?) light they also sell at Aldi. It is the best rear light I have ever had regardless of cost. I have had many over the years from Exposure, Cateye, Genuine moon, leyzene and the Aldi one is by far better than any of them except the wired exposure ones. Run time on the lowest setting is 7 hours but I haven’t tested that fully. I commute for an hour a day 5 days a week and I charge them once a week. The lowest setting is plenty bright enough.

prawny

Ahh, that’s a shame, I thought these were ok, but three hours seems about right.
    They’d not got any of the better rear ones left, but still 7 hours is no good, I’ve got too many things to charge daily (just under 3 hours round trip) I want to get something that lasts a good long while.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my genuine moon comets and the aldi comet copies hence why i bought the aldi nebular copies. I only bought one originally to see how good it was but I was so impressed I bought 3 more.
    I haven’t looked for a while but I thought 7 hours was a good burn time.
    I’m used to my wired exposure that runs off my front light so burn time on that isn’t a factor.

flashes
    Free Member

I bought some Smart ones from Planet X. OK so far (touch wood)…

MoreCashThanDash

Have given up on my old Exposure Flare, as it spent more time with them than on the bike.

See Sense are great but expensive. Especially if you drop it and break it.

I have just picked up a Lezyne Strip Drive or whatever it’s called from Evans. Ask me again in a couple of weeks.

jeffl

As no one has asked the question, why can’t you charge them up more regularly? Even if you’re away from electricity you could take a USB battery to charge the lights up.

The other option is to go for something that uses AA or AAA batteries so you can easily change them when they run out.

prawny

I can, it’s just a pain in the arse.

I’ve got 4 lights on the back 3 on the front, a go pro, a garmin and my phone with me every day, and I’d just like to reduce the number of things I have to clip on and off on a daily basis.

I had a look in Evans at lunchtime and there’s a few that quote run times of 20 hours plus, but they all appear to be seatpost only.

carlos
    Free Member

I’ve not actually got one of these but Mrs Carlos has the armband style she wears when out running and its plenty bright.

http://www.chilli-tech.com/products/land/helmet-led-light

Worn on a helmet so out of most of the spray, long battery life, couple of flashing modes, flexible to fit on almost anything and cheap’ish

Carlos

TiRed

If you run an SQR, can’t you run a light on the seat tube through the rear brake bridge?

Cateye Rapid X rear will mount in either place. I use an adapter for the standard Cateye mount on Fizik saddles. I also have mudguards and use a PDW fenderbot mounted (AAA only bu always there).

Duc
    Free Member

Cateye TLD 600 or 610 – got two of them seatstay mounted on the road bike. run them on flash and the batteries last bloody ages

prawny

I’ve got the Aldi Moon knockoff on the seat tube, it’s not massively visible there, but it’s decent enough for a back up.

I’m starting to think about going back to a pannier for the depths of winter, just to increase my options.

nixie

fibre flare? Nice big visible area. I use 1 of the long fibre flares, a cheap phhart 1/2 and an old dinotte rear. Add in the spoke reflectors and the back of the bike glows.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Me A Seatstay Mountable Rear Light For Commuting’ is closed to new replies.